1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Miami face eating incident and one of my kids reaction.....

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, May 30, 2012.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I live in Miami about 10 miles from the infamous face eating attack on the MacArthur causeway, a locale my family has driven by on countless occasions. Now it is the site of a horrific act of humanity and my youngest who is 8 years old is terrified that the zombie invasion has begun.

He can not sleep at night and for the last couple of nights has been sleeping in our bed and thinks we are all going to become zombies. The intensive news coverage is not helping at all nor is the playground stories being tossed around at school.

Zombies never scared him as he played Plants vs Zombies on the X-box and watched The Walking Dead with us. The phrase it is all make believe has become shattered and quit frankly I am at a loss on what to do next.

If it becomes worse I will definitely be taking him to the doctor because my reassurance that this was just a crazy person who did a crazy thing may not be cutting it.

Any advice or input?

2. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    You really let him watch The Walking Dead...?

3. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Yeah before this face incident it was all make believe. Trying to keep it make believe has become the problem.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    :eek:

Since you asked, your child is way too young to be watching horror films or playing 'zombies'. A child that age or younger cannot always separate fantasy from reality. What made you think he wouldn't be adversly affected by such exposure at such a young age?

My advice: take him to your pediatrician or a child psychologist without delay and do not expose him to such age-inappropriate content until he is much older, if at all. You, yourself, need some parenting lessons, seriously.

Signed: A dad of 50 years, with three adult kiddos, 11 grands and three greats.

5. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    As a father myself, I thought the same thing. The lesson my dad taught me when I had kids was this: now matter how "advanced" or "grown-up" they seem; kids are still kids. I think most parents will agree that an 8 year old shouldn't be watching The Walking Dead.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm nowhere near a child's age and this attack crosses the line from what I wish were only seen in horror films into a world that I'd rather not accept is sick enough to have such things going on.

Stranger things have happened ... but not much stranger.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Without having watched the Walking Dead, he would have no basis of comparison and thereby not relate the crazy face eating guy to how zombies are portrayed on the Walking Dead.

Too late to undo that. Hopefully he will start to get over his fears as time passes.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    1. What is this face eating incident you speak of?
    2. Seriously, an 8 year old watching the walking dead?? That's unbelievable. Might as well let him watch Spartacus too, so he can see some good F'ing with is blood and gore.

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I watched horror movies when I was 8. Granted they were in black and white, without all the CGI color gore of today, but really. At 8, he should know the difference between a movie and reality. The problem is, he discovered something portrayed in the movie turned into reality (sick world we live in).

I think he just needs reassurance that it was an isolated incident by a sick person, and they are going to put him in Zombie jail where he wont be able to hurt anyone else. If you can convince him it was just ONE sick person, I hope he would calm down. If not, your doctor visit would probably be warranted.

When I was growing up, I freaked out thinking we were all going to get blown up by nuclear bombs. Even had a map to all the "fallout" shelters.

10. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and look how you turned out, Skywarn avatar and all! :D

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  13. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21007611146556/

When I was his age I and my older brothers watched movies like Apocalypse Now, The Deer Hunter, Halloween Dirty Harry pretty much what ever my parents wanted to watch at the movies. This close to home incident has been a problem for one of my three kids and is not only the talk of the town but is also the talk of the play ground.

I have hard a hard time wrapping my head around this and some of the photos snapped by witnesses have been all over the web and even on some of the kids at schools iphones. Even if I never let any of my kids watch The Walking Dead they still would have seen the photos at school in the play ground.

Tonight he as been relatively quiet about it and I am waiting for him to bring it up again.

14. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    When I say talk of the town I am not kidding, the wall to wall news coverage is non stop from news bumpers on the local tv and radio stations to the widespread newspaper coverage since the incident was partially caught on the Miami Herald's surveillance cameras.

There is really noway not avoid this topic if you live in Miami.

15. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    8 year olds on the playground have iphones? This just gets crazier and crazier.

My 9 year old would never have access to this story. He doesn't watch the news with us, he doesn't read the paper, he doesn't randomly surf the web and I can guarantee you that none of his classmates have iphones on the playground.

I find it very hard to believe he learned of this at school.

Maybe if he hadn't been watching The Walking Dead, it wouldn't bother him so much.

My kids would never hear about this happening, but even if they did, I could explain to them that it was some nutcase- that's much harder to do if they had seen it over and over on a TV show.

Seriously, I'm not a perfect parent by any means, I do lots of things wrong with my boys I wish I did better, but you can't let an 8 year old watch those shows - regardless of how you were raised. Heck, I won't even let my 9 year old watch Indiana Jones II, or Star Wars III (yet). Shows have ratings for a reason - it's about child development.

If you do end up taking him to a Doctor, make sure he doesn't mention The Walking Dead, because that Doctor would be calling Social Services.

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have some users that give their old iPhones to their 7-8 year olds. This definitely is not one of those types of stories you don't know about living in that area. It's too big.

17. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    This is Miami and kids with smart phones are very common in the school yard. I never said he learned of this at school but the school did send home a memo about having smart phones and a reminder of the code of student conduct. I found out from my son that the pictures were being circulated around the play ground.

Any parent who thinks they can completely control what their kids see or hear is in denial. Also if I do end up taking him to a shrink of course I will mention the walking dead, duh if I am mentioning it here then why wouldn't I.

As I said this is a HUGE local story that ironicly started with a below the fold story on Sundays local news section of the newspaper and has since gone viral.

18. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Dude, you're living in a different world than I am.

19. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    !rolling

That is what it has been like ever since I moved back to Miami after 10 years of living in Jacksonville and this latest incident is making me want to move back north......

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Exactly ... and it is an issue even older people have to deal with. Flesh eating "zombies" are not fun when the attack is real.

I wish that was easy ... but the media is making this a "teachable moment" on bath salts. I'm sure they will keep hyping the story as if anyone who gets high on bath salts will become a flesh eating zombie. (Not that I'm condoning getting high, or flesh eating.)

Or watch the news. And now the next round of photos come out ... :nono2:

If I understand correctly, the shows were rated "TV-14" - Parents strongly cautioned/May be unsuitable for children under 14 years of age.
    "Parents are strongly urged to exercise greater care in monitoring this program and are cautioned against letting children under 14 watch unattended."
    There are a lot of TV-14 shows out there ... and apparently this child was not unattended.

In any case, what lesson does it teach to tell the child to lie to the doctor? If the kid needs help he needs help ... not to bury his problem with lies to the people hired to help him.

I grew up with cartoon violence ... people getting shot in the face - guns blowing up when someone stuck their finger in the barrel. Being a cartoon made it easier to know it wasn't real. Being able to tell the viewer "it is all fake" after watching "The Walking Dead" is reassuring - until it isn't fake.