1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Claim: Google Android Infringes

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, Apr 28, 2010.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Microsoft publicly claimed that Google's Android infringes on its intellectual property this past Tuesday, April 27, 2010.

The announcement came as Microsoft announced a new licensing agreement with cell phone maker HTC that will cover its Android phones.

Microsoft is not known for seeking court actions in patent disputes, prefering to negotiate cross licensing technology agreements, which has been a very successful approach.

Microsoft is also negotiating with other cell phone manufacturers.

2. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    If it's true that the license fee they have negotiated with HTC is nearly as much as it would be for Win Phone 7 it's going to be a real challenge to the Android platform going forward. I don't think it's enough to kill it but it certainly removes one of the biggest advantages to the device manufacturers. I am curious what patents MS believes it infringes.

3. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Microsoft usually doesn't announce which patents are being infringed, evidenced by the Linux settlements..

I haven't heard of any company that didn't settle up with Microsoft over the Linux infringements, so I suspect they must have had a pretty strong case. Nobody went to court over the claims.

4. Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave Legend

Oct 13, 2006
    Hopefully the new license agreement will allow the Android OS to have real Activesync support now. :rolleyes:

5. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I don't believe licensing had anything whatsoever to do with the lack of Activesync support. Google had other things on their mind - full Gmail and Google Apps integration - that they prioritized over Activesync. I seriously doubt that it's a high priority for them even with version 2.2 nearly ready for the development community, they figure 3rd party apps or UIs can do it if that's what someone really wants.

BTW - (slightly OT) I went to send a message from Gmail the other day and typed "I've attached...." in the body but forgot to actually attach anything (something I am frustratingly prone to do at least once a week). When I hit send Gmail warned me that I had typed that phrase but didn't add any attachments. Why in the name of Bill Gates has no one at MS ever thought to do that???? I have been using Outlook for longer than I'd like to admit and when I saw this it was a real forehead slapper!

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    That's user friendly - someone who sends email with attachments probably said: "Hey. Couldn't we...." At Google no one immediately discounts project unrelated employees making suggestions.

Now you're forcing me to look seriously at Gmail after all these years with Thunderbird....;)

7. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    That was a Gmail labs feature, didn't realize they incorporated it into the main product.

9. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yeah it's been in the main product for a few months now. It's pretty slick.

Though the tin foil hat crowd dislikes that GOOGLE IS READING MY MAIL TO TELL ME I FORGOT THE ATTACHMENT!

*sigh*

10. Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave Legend

Oct 13, 2006
    Yeah you are probably right just wishful thinking on my part. :)

11. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I was always a Rocky fan myself :lol:
    [​IMG]