Microsoft says free Win10 offer will expire-$119 after July 29

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by dpeters11, May 5, 2016.

1. May 5, 2016 #1 of 27
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Many have thought that Microsoft would extend the free upgrade offer, after all, they really don't make much money off of these upgrades. But as of right now, they are saying that the offer will end July 29. It will cost $119 after that.

Anyone that already has Windows 10 will be unaffected. You do not need to buy anything to keep getting updates.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/05/05/windows-10-now-on-300-million-active-devices-free-upgrade-offer-to-end-soon/

In fact, if you upgrade a machine then roll it back to Windows 7/8, you'd be able to reinstall (even as a clean install) it later at no charge after that date as long as you use the same Microsoft account and it's the same hardware.

2. May 5, 2016 #2 of 27
    sabrewulf

sabrewulf Cool Member

Sep 4, 2011
    I am sticking with 7 and 8 on my two computers I tried 10 and went back to 8 didn't like the taskbar not working issue.

3. May 5, 2016 #3 of 27
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Interesting. Have been running Windows 10 Professional for quite some time and have not experienced any issues with the taskbar.

4. May 5, 2016 #4 of 27
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Although I will admit that I've hit a few speed bumps along the way, the overall reaction is that I am enjoying Windows 10. Of course, one of the reasons I upgraded immediately is to take full advantage of the 32GB of memory in my system. Windows 7 Home Edition, by design, only recognized the first 16GB, which I didn't realize until I ordered the memory. And, yes, I have tweaked some stuff along the way. :)

5. May 5, 2016 #5 of 27
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We have Windows 10 running on four desktops and two laptops and not a single problem with the task bar.

6. May 5, 2016 #6 of 27
    bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Running W10 on my desktop since the day it became available, and no real problems. I wouldn't go back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

7. May 5, 2016 #7 of 27
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, 16gb to 128 or more. I have Pro, so 2Tb (not that my laptop could actually take that much).

I really haven't had many issues myself. I've had some, including one that I had to reload Windows but I'm on the Insider fast ring so I expected a few glitches like that.

8. May 5, 2016 #8 of 27
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It's good to have the upgrade done on the Win 7 machine even if you roll back as that would get it done by the deadline so that you can go back to 10 on that machine with Windows 7 goes end of life at the end of 2019. Unless you plan on a new PC of course.

9. May 6, 2016 #9 of 27
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    My first home PC was a late 70's Commodore PET, Your post reminded me it used to be a given that I got a new PC every 2-3 years. No more, tho. I'm typing this on a 2007 Dell XPS M1330 that's still running great. It's a dual Core CPU with 4GB of memory. I keep Win 10 on it as a control, but I shut down all usage and data reporting with ShutUp10.

I rolled back my 2014 Dell desktop from 10 to 7, but no doubt I'll have to cave and put 10 (or whatever is current ) back on it in 2019, because unless it dies on it's own, I can't imagine needing to upgrade the hardware. It's an i7 with 16GB of memory.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, I'm keeping PCs around longer myself. Maybe if I was still a hard-core PC gamer, you can go down a deep rabbit hole there.

I'm just dreading a bit the day where in January 2020 there are still a lot of Win 7 machines out there that won't get any updates.

I do have a friend that claims 10 ruined his computer, things don't work right etc. I told him he could revert, he missed the window for a rollback so I told him to just reinstall 7, restore his data from backup and reinstall his apps (based on his usage he can't have that many).

Won't do it, too much work. So he just complains to me about it :)

11. sabrewulf

sabrewulf Cool Member

Sep 4, 2011
    There is a few that have had this issue with the taskbar not working. What it does is if you click on the windows button on the bottom it doesn't respond just sits there. I even had the clock freeze once. I could click on the desktop icons and things would load. I tried a patch I found online and all it did was kill my wifi so couldn't get on so I went back to windows 8 at that point. And probobly My windows 7 computer will die before 2019. Computers have about a 5 year lifespan.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And of course the other thing is we have a major new build coming out around the end of July as well.

13. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Tons of issues with 10. I belong to a weather forum where most are having issues all the time. No thanks I'm sticking with 7 for as long as possible.

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I persoNally think it depends on the computer. I think some drivers don't play nice with older hardware. My computer has been great. I upgraded a friends old machine (it was actually vista) and it did not go well. But it may have also had failing hardware too as it had a few issues before the upgrade as well. They have a new computer now. Not worth dealing with all the time.

15. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Win 10 "upgrade" install has now become to me what I have to consider putting under the label of "malicious malware," starting from becoming increasingly annoying and progressing to downright frightening!

The last time it popped up (a couple of weeks ago) it wanted to do the install that very moment, with only the choice of deferring it to that evening. Unacceptable!

I only wish I had read through the other thread here sooner. I think I was able to remove it (which I would've done a long time ago) successfully. Twice. I hope it's not too late, but it looks like I'll probably have to get the "prevention" software before I can allow any more updates to the current system. Last time it updated, it put that crap back in and unchecking it did not stop it.

I see absolutely no compelling reason for me to "upgrade" this nearly-perfectly-working unit that I've had very little problem with in the last five years. For one reason most (if not all) peripherals I'm using are older, plus it came with many integrated A/V features I use almost every day.

It makes me cringe to think I'd have to spend months (hopefully) finding new drivers and getting things back anything even close to what I'm accustomed to. Or worse, having to buy new peripherals.

No one can satisfactorily answer three of my most pressing questions:

1. Why is it "free"?

2. Why is it trying so hard to install whether I want it or not?

3. If my system "ain't broke," why does it need "fixing?"

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is in Microsoft's best interest to get people to convert. Perhaps one can see that as the great evil corporation at work ... but perhaps Microsoft wants to avoid another situation like they found themselves in with Windows XP. An operating system that would not die. They were stuck supporting it for years after customers were expected to move on.

So here is the carrot ... a free upgrade to the latest and greatest operating system so far. One that Microsoft will support going forward. Moving their customer base toward the next way of selling OS. The operating system as a service. But for now they work to migrate the customer base to their newest product base.

Windows 7 is broke. 8 and 8.1 are even more broken. Old operating systems do not last forever.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And the free offer really doesn't hurt Micrsoft's bottom line. I wouldn't say that it was the cause of fewer PC sales. Microsoft doesn't generate much revenue from upgrades, so it didn't affect them that way.

I do think there still will be way too many Windows 7 machines out there at the end of 2019, when time is up on that version.

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Most folks know that Windows 10 is the conduit to sell MS Office and other products...means to an end.

19. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    I am a tightwad but I am happy with the free OS (Windows 10) and an Office 365 subscription. Having the latest Office and spreading the cost is a no brainer and I think MS realized that. It will be a steady revenue stream for MS.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Plus the fact that the 365 subscription is good on multiple machines.