1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Middle market resident question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by nusatman, Jan 18, 2012.

1. nusatman

nusatman Cool Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I'm a new sub to directv, and I live between 2 DMA's I was only given one set of locals but correct me if I'm wrong, even if I use my zip and get my established DMA's, would I still be able to get the other city? I currently get Buffalo, so I would be seeing about Rochester...

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I thought you were allowed 2 DMAs and I know for sure you are allowed 2 DMAs if you are using an AM21 OTA Tuner.

I thought you were Allowed 1 Primary DMA and 1 Secondary or Alternate DMA.

3. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    I am interested to know if anyone gets 2 DMA's from Directv(not OTA). Did not think that was allowed? Wish we could where I live!

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You will only get one set of locals from DIRECTV and that is determined by where you live. If you are close enough to receive locals OTA you can add two markets from the AM21 and incorporate those channels into your guide.

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    That is what I thought after I remembered about FCC Rulings regarding your DMA with Satellite Coverage.

OTA is different.

6. nusatman

nusatman Cool Member

Jan 9, 2011
    How do I go about setting it up through direct? Do I just call them, or can I set it up online? Any help would be much appreciated...

7. nusatman

nusatman Cool Member

Jan 9, 2011
    So could I assume I would qualify?

8. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    The FCC has determined (in their infinite wisdom) that you're not allowed to receive locals outside of your pre-determined market area. Directv's hands are tied with this issue. Your only option is using an over-the-air (OTA) antenna with either your tv's internal ATSC tuner, or purchasing and setting up a Directv AM21 module with your receiver to tune them through your Directv receiver.
    You are responsible for your own OTA antenna and purchase/setup of the AM21.

9. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    All you would get is Buffalo/Bradford areas. not Rochesters. that all I get. With the AM21 and with out.

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Noone lives between 2 DMA's, you either live in one or the other, although you could be very close to the border of your DMA. If you can receive the other DMA's locals via an antenna, you can use an AM21 attached to your HR2x model dvr and get the other DMA if it comes in with your antenna and record them just like regular sat channels.

11. nusatman

nusatman Cool Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I don't have A DVR model, but another website I checked listed other current models you can use, and I have the H24, so I could assume it would work with the model that I have? But, just the same, I am within an area that I am able to get signals OTA from both areas. I may in the future upgrade to the DVR.

12. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    Not sure why but here in Rhode Island we get all the RI channels plus one additional station WEDN 53 (CPTV) out of Connecticut. So I get two PBS's, one of which I can't even get OTA on D*. What really makes it hilarious is CPTV's programming and schedule is far superior to RI PBS any day of the week.

13. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
  14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Yes, the AM21 works with any of the H/HR21 models or higher, the H20/HR20 models had OTA built-in.

15. kymikes

kymikes Icon

Jan 15, 2008
    Kentucky
    Yes but the AM21 works from zipcode. While this should just be a table lookup, it has been weird in the past. I was having a problem about a year ago that caused me to move some equipment around in the house. When complete, I had some quirky channels available with a different AM21 connected to an HR21 than before so I went through setup again. Putting in 2 different zipcodes (clearly both within the DMA) and was getting different channels available thru OTA via the AM21 setup. I don't know what "table" of channels vs. zipcode is used but it is another variable that doesn't appear to be driven by DMA. The DMA will dictate what LIL channels are provided but the AM21 will attempt to pull in channels based of some other list (which it appears the LIL channels are a subset of). Where that list is and how to access it is a mystery that I have never solved. It also appears that some of the AM21 function may lie within the receiver as a couple of people have reported that an AM21 connected to the HR34 will scan but will not scan connected to any other HX2X. Can't speak to this personally as I don't have an HR34. Another mystery of sat. TV.

16. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    It does Not do a Scan via Zipcode but it references a DMA Database via that Zipcode which gives it the Channels you can receive along with the Guide Data for those Channels.

If your Local Channel is not in their DMA Database (for whatever reason) then you will Not get it!!!

17. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    As kymikes said, it seems that the AM21 connected to the HR34 does indeed have the capability of scanning for channels. Whether or not the channels will have program descriptions is another question. Possibly only for the ones in the aforementioned database.

18. nusatman

nusatman Cool Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I can go to the link, however I don't get any results using my DMA or zip code? It doesn't even come up with my current locals either...

19. nusatman

nusatman Cool Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Sweet :)

20. nusatman

nusatman Cool Member

Jan 9, 2011
    is it better to try other zip codes within the DMA you're looking for over using your current zip code?