Might seem like a weird question/request for info from experts

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Bruce Rolff, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Bruce Rolff

Bruce Rolff New Member

Aug 13, 2018
    OK so I am looking to recreate the bad signal pixelated shifting tv image effect seen in bad storms with satellite TV. Just putting an attenuator in between did not work and the attenuators got very hot rather quickly. I later found out this is because the receiver supplies the dish with power. I also have been made familiar with the fact that it is a digital signal and the line between signal and no signal is a very fine line.

Does anyone know if there any way to achieve this effect. Someone said there is a way to use an attenuator setup with a shunted ground? I'm a total noob with this but If I can find out how to do it Im sure I can find someone to build a device for me. It was also suggested I put alum foil in front of the dish but that is difficult as the dish is on the roof and its just way too clunky an option.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    There is a thread about pixilation on some receivers and not others ( large installation ).
    The guys on here suggested that he was losing too much signal going thru multiple splitters. Every splitter drops the signal by x amount. The larger the splitter the larger the drop. You might try multiple splitters in the coax line to decrease the signal strength.
    ??
    Wait to see what some of the others have to say. Some are really sharp when it comes to the electrical side of these systems ( way over my head, whoosh, lol ).

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Could you explain why and what you're trying to do in more detail?

Rich

trh likes this.
  4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Usually such degradation of a RF signal (if it's the culprit) then you need an amplifier, not attenuator ! Or bigger reflector.

Actually, what device is under your scrutiny ? TV, dish or DTV box ? or What ?

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    ^^ Good question.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    OK so I am looking to recreate the bad signal pixelated shifting tv image effect seen in bad storms with satellite TV.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    But why? To what end?

Maybe a cable TV advertiser who wants to make THE definitive rain fade TV commercial? ;)

8. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Who knows why.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The OP might. Which is why the OP is being asked why.

10. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    OK, this may sound crazy, but how about having someone stand there with a hose and spray the dish with water. That or rig something to sit in front of the reflector and partially block the signal (maybe a wire hanger with saran wrap on it).

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I read that, if I understood what he was doing I wouldn't have asked...:)

Rich

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Thought maybe you did like I do every so often, by the time I get thru a long one I missed the point.
    What we don't know is why he is wanting to do this.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This might be one of those times that we see a thread/post from somebody new and never see another one. I got stuck on "why would he do that?" rather quickly. Everybody complains about rain fade and he wants to replicate it? I don't get it.

Rich

jimmie57 likes this.
  14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I would be surprised to hear from the OP again. We know what he wants to do but we don't know why. I suspect he's not going to tell us. If he lives along the east coast I would think he had multiple occasions recently to see the real thing.:eek:

15. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Probably works for a production company and wants to create rain fade effect for an anti-satellite cable TV (or online streaming) company commercial.

Yes, foil is effective (as are hands, fingers, thumbs, etc...).

Inline, you'd probably still need something adjustable, though.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Rich likes this.
  16. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    You mean a company like Spectrum? Spectrum bad DIRECTV good! He He...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    12 days since the OP and nada. Sad.

Rich