Might stay with DirecTV - What equipment do I need upgraded?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Crimson, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Crimson

Crimson Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    I have one of the original SWM dish setups from 2008 or so? I forget exactly when it was setup.. it runs one wire from the dish to some type of splitter thing in the attic which splits it out to 4 separate locations in my house.. (I only use 2 of them at any given time).. Got an HR-20 and and HR22 hooked up to those each with 2 tuners obviously.. so I can record 4 things at a time.

Its time for an upgrade as my equipment is not working well (Locks up a lot, is slow as hell).. I've been out of contract for a long time, so I'm going to call DirecTV and attempt to get a bill discount and new equipment.. What should I make sure I get as part of the deal? Its been a long time since I researched DirecTV's equipment.

It sounds like at a minimum I would need to request an HR-44 (I don't have 4k and don't think I will soon) and a Genie to go with it for the 2nd TV? I use whole house DVR but I don't do it over the Coax I have gigabit ethernet to where my TV's are.

Do I need to upgrade the Dish/splitter at all? I'd like to have more tuner's available to record with if possible?

Of course this all depends on DirecTV reducing my bill and upgrading the equipment.. if they don't, I will just go with Dish or someone else. I just want to know what I should be asking for before I call them and ask if they will be willing to do it.

Thanks!

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you upgrade to a Genie DTV will do all that you need. Probably a new dish, LNB, Power supply, splitters, receivers.
    FYI: The HR-44 is a Genie. To go with that you could use the better HR that you have or get a Genie Mini. The Mini will / should be faster than what you have now and it will set up and play recordings from the Genie.
    Give them a call. They will do all this possibly for FREE.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Order the Genie HR44 or HR54 to replace your worst DVR.

When the installer shows up, complain about how slow your other DVR is, but you didn't order a mini because you wanted a second DVR incase the Genie dies. They'll probably swap your DVR with an HR24. Top them 20 bucks.

Watch all your shows on your two DVRs. There is no way to move those to your new equipment. Good luck.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Do not replace one of your DVRs with a dunb mini, get a genie and kindly ask the tech to service swap the older DVR to an HR24.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What's on your other two tvs?

6. Rob

Rob Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    If you have or plan on having a 4K tv, (or several 4K tv), I think you may need the HR-54 for 4K from Directv.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    TS said no 4K and no plans for 4K.

8. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Follow the above advice.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Although I meant to say 'tip', not 'top'.