1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migration from HR22 to HR44 receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by emanon666, Jan 13, 2018.

1. emanon666

emanon666 New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Hello.

I currently have two HR22-100 receivers in operation. One of them has been acting up a bit as-of-late, and I lucked into a replacement - a friend had a five-year-old HR44-600 still new in box that I was able to pick up on-the-cheap.

My goal is to replace the flaky HR22 receiver with the new HR44. However, I'd like to transfer the recorded programs from the old receiver onto the new, if at all possible. Is there any way to do this? Ideally, I'd also use this opportunity to migrate from the existing hard drive - I believe it's a 500GB - to something larger - 1 to 2TB. This would be a "nice to have", with my real goal being to maintain the small archive of shows I've recorded over the years that I simply don't want to part with.

Is it possible to make the transition as I've described above? I'd not adverse to removing/cloning hard drives, as necessary.

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    First thing I would do is call 1-800-824-9077 And make sure you can activate the "NEW" hr44 first - If you are NOT on a Single wire system SWM -meaning if your hR22's have 2 rg6 connected.
    the genie can not be added until you convert to a swm system.

Old recordings can not be "transfered" only re-recorded on the new dvr when they are re-broadcast.

The Hr22-can not use a drive larger than 2TB -it can handel a larger drive but it won't see it

You can keep the HR22's active on your account and use the recorded shows over whole home no need to remove them even if you don't have tv to connect them to just sayin

Yes cloning and expanding a drive can be done suggestions on DIY are on this site

3. emanon666

emanon666 New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I definitely have a SWM with the current setup, so I shouldn't have any issues there.

I guess the bottom line is - i can't just take the drive out of the old receiver, and drop it in the new? I figured that'd be far too simple to actually work.

Out of curiosity - is that because it's a different model receiver? Meaning - if I found a replacement HR22, would my current drive be able to be moved to it? Or is that still a "no"?

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Welcome to the site!

NO- Because the Recording are Married to Receiver and the ACCESS Card -is the "COPY" protection -Lose the receiver =Lose the recording- I'm sure most of what you have will be rebroadcast over time -or if it something you have to save get it on DVD - or learn to be a Computer nerd and us Gpart to copy the drive and expand it to a new one (which) for me has always been to much work -for something that will shown again or bought if I really really need to have it.

Since you already on smw - The genie is 5 tuners unless you change out the LNB you have NOW to one that support more than 8 tuners you need to keep that in mind. You can get a LNB and swap it yourself (ebay) or solid signal that will support 21 Tuners on a single wire.

If you lose one HR22 you will be okay with your current swm8 as your total would be 7 - but if you keep both it puts you at 9

Did call and see if the Genie you have is "FREE" and clear to be activated on your Account?

5. emanon666

emanon666 New Member

Jan 13, 2018
    OK, that's what I was afraid of. Just working on coming to terms with losing some content. I'm sure I'll convince myself it's worth it - I already found one series available on Vudu, another on bootleg DVD...leaving me just a few Austin City Limits performances and whatnot that I'm not sure I'll be able to easily replace, but so be it.

I'll only be running two receivers total, so the 8 limit on the current LNB shouldn't be an issue. Picking up the extra tuners on the new primary receiver will definitely be nice, though!

I haven't contacted DTV yet, but I guess that'll be my next step.

Thanks again for your assistance with this!

WestDC likes this.
  6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There are so many streaming services available now, you might be able to find everything you want.

Rich

7. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    You could use a capture card or DVD burner to archive stuff. DVRs aren't archival mechanisms, they are for short-term timeshifting of TV content.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I'm disagree - 2 TB HDD for H2x and 12 TB HDD [max] huge storage for Genies telling different purpose

9. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    DVR drives fail, there's no way to back them up. If you recorded every Summer Olympics broadcast on top of a few hundred gigs of normal short-term timeshifting, you could chew through a few TB that's only there for a couple of weeks. Either way, DVRs are not archiving devices.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    OK. Here is - you can make backup, ANYTIME ! You can use HW RAID-1 enclosure with two drives. You can use MANY of external drives/enclosures or in one eSATA DOCK.
    Sorry, your points are insignificant.

11. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    A few obscure half-solutions don't change the fundamental fact that DVRs are short-term timeshifting devices.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You can argue that point all day and you won't get anywhere. Just the single point of failure that is the "marriage" is enough proof of that. Backup only works with the original HR that recorded the content, right?

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Agreed.

Rich

Bigg likes this.
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I know what you're saying but I don't think that fits what "archive" means, which is mainly "a long time repository". The HRs fail. The HDDs fail. Not a long time repository.

Rich

15. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    long enough to distinguish from Bigg's semantic "short-term timeshifting"

16. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    Yeah, that's exactly the problem. There is no way to move off of the DVR digitally. The hard drives are married to that exact DVR motherboard/access card. You'd have to have an external real-time capture in order to have actual archival.

17. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    No, you're just looking for an argument.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I posted my reasoning, you may follow with your reasons. That comment wasn't a "reason".

Rich

Bigg likes this.
  19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I posted real using SOLUTIONs, I'm not inclined to "reasoning"

20. Bigg

Bigg Godfather

Feb 26, 2010
    Rich posted why your "solutions" aren't actually solutions.