Mild Winter

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Steve Mehs, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 3, 2004 #1 of 32
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I’m sitting here glancing out my bedroom window and I’m amazed, if I just came out of a coma today I’d think it was mid April. Earlier this morning I went to WalMart to pick up an XM Boombox (which they were out of) and it got up to 61 degrees according to thermometer in my truck, it’s a little cooler now but it’s still in the 50s. Usually this time of year here in Buffalo we’re buried in feet and feet of snow (two years ago we were digging out from a post Xmas storm that brought us seven feet), but today I was out and about in a long sleeve t shirt with my moon roof wide open, instead of a heavy jacket and the heat on high. In December we had 3 or 4 days of snow. I’m in disbelief and I hope this continues, into next week when I have to go back to school.

Anyone else experiencing an extremely mild winter thus far?

2. Jan 3, 2004 #2 of 32
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Yes. We had no rain during the month of December and right now it's 80 degrees!

3. Jan 3, 2004 #3 of 32
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    And I'm looking out the window watching the snow fall in Denver...it's about 30 degrees with 4" on the ground at the moment. It's supposed to snow 3-4" more today, but it looks like it's going to break up, so I doubt we'll get the additional snow. The Colorado mountains got hammered last night - more than 3' of new snow in some places.

4. Jan 3, 2004 #4 of 32
    Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    It's 55 degrees outside right now! Time to open up the pool... :)

During the first half of December we kept getting Nor Easters every four days, dumping at least 10" each time. Since then, things have subsided a bit. Other than a few dirty snow piles along the roads, there is no snow left on the ground.

Steve, later next week we're in for a big change. Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

5. Jan 3, 2004 #5 of 32
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Yesterday we were pushing 60, today the weatherbug on my desktop says it is 24 right now, and the predictions are for 4-8" by noon tomorrow.

6. Jan 3, 2004 #6 of 32
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Ah, now I recall why I moved to Florida... Sunny and upper 70's today. I have not turned on the heat in my house yet this year. I have burned a little bit of timber in my fireplace, per my avatar. I look forward to getting back into shorts rather than the long pants I have been wearing for the last month or so. :D

7. Jan 3, 2004 #7 of 32
    texas39

texas39 Legend

Nov 10, 2003
    I know, its Amazing up here on the Verrry North end of Texas in Sherman
    we had a record breaking high for the day of 75, and today it was 70, still unseasonably warm, even for TX. we should be around 20-30 and a little snow
    in Dec or Jan...

8. Jan 3, 2004 #8 of 32
    JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    71 today on Kentucky / Indiana border. We turned out A/C on today, because the humidity was so bad. :eek:

9. Jan 4, 2004 #9 of 32
    RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    We are having the biggest snowfall in about 5 years. This is a good thing for our winter sports industry and for our water supply.

10. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Enjoy the respite from winter's icy grip.

The unsettling spector of global-warming
    silently looms like a sub-audible throb in
    the posterior lobes of our primitive brains.

11. Charles Oliva

Charles Oliva Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    It's been a very wet winter here in Hawaii. I saw the sun for the first time in a week today and we just had 2 solid days of rain. There was blizzard conditions on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa on the Big Island.

12. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Ah yes, the elephant in the room.

The ice caps are cracking and floating away. ALL glaciers everywhere are receding. By ice core analysis, the nineties was the warmest decade in 300,000 years. And 2003 was the third warmest year for which we have definitive records. But global warming? It needs more study. :sure:

13. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Yep today was a bit of a different day, driving 20-30 MPH on my way to school passing 3 or 4 cars in ditches. Tonight and tomorrow we're supposed to get 6-8 inches of lake effect. Yippie :(

14. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My son and many other students and teachers were very disappointed that the snow hit here Sunday morning, and was pretty well cleared so that school could be held today. :D
    About 7" on the ground, temp is about 3 degrees right now (only got up to about 4 all day, and bitter wind chill. Now we're havin' fun. :D

15. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Low of 7 predicted tonight:( I should move to florida. There predicted high tomorrow? 61. Nw thats more like it!

16. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Dang! I spoke too soon earlier. The typical south Texas weather has finally set in. High of 42 today and not much warmer tomorrow.

17. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Still better then us Chris :D, today only 3" of powder, but it got down to a chilly 10 degrees while driving home from work. Hey Bogy if you lived in southern western NY your son and his friends would't have school tomorrow. :) A few schools in the Jamestown area already announced they'll be closed tomorrow.

18. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    ahem...

Low temp last night here in Denver was -12 degrees F (my house hit -16!)...when I left for work this morning it was a balmy -7 degrees...just about knocked me off my feet going outside to my garage this morning!

19. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Yeah I know. Everything is relative though. When it's 29 degrees in south Texas the place almost shuts down. On the other hand though, we usually have 100 straight days of 98 degree weather plus humidity in the summer which is par for the course and not a problem. People die up in New York when it hits 100 just for a few days. :)

20. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Hey guys, ya gotta feel sorry for me. My daughter's room mate has two tickets to this weekends Rams game, but with the weather reports I don't dare try to make the drive. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.