1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military moving overseas; can DirecTV go too?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rmc_ss, Oct 26, 2010.

1. rmc_ss

rmc_ss AllStar

Oct 17, 2005
    I am negotiating orders and some options include Italy (Naples) and Japan (Yokosuka).

I know signal is dependent on look-angle to the birds, but could I use DirecTV overseas? More to the point is there any prohibition or if so, any exceptions made for military stationed abroad?

Thanks!

Allen

2. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    iirc not only is moving units outside of US against the TOS but that far away they would not work anyway.
    however in your situation I think you can call to release from any contract.

3. rmc_ss

rmc_ss AllStar

Oct 17, 2005
    I'm actually looking for a reason to stay with them, not to canx a contract :grin:

Seriously, I don't think I can get a clear shot to the satellite since I think they are geo-located center CONUS without a 200 foot mast on top of Mount Vesuvius but I am willing to try!

Has anyone tried?

/r

Allen

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    There's no way you'll pick up a DirecTV satellite signal in Italy or Japan.

You can suspend your account while you're away.

5. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    Most of the second and third world has DBS service with varying amounts of near real-time (week delay?) American/English programming. If you're intent on DirecTV, then you're only option is a SlingMedia or MonsoonMedia place-shifting device. You will still need access to a DirecTV setup/active domestically... pay for the extra (dedicated) DirecTV receiver on your brother's account, hook up the SlingBox or Vulkano, and stream over the internet/watch remotely. You can even program/record/playback an HDDVR remotely, so you don't have to watch primetime programming at 3AM from the opposite side of the earth. Practically speaking, 720x480 is the maximum resolution you'll be able to stream due to bandwith limitations, but that's basically DVD resolution and looks fine on sets 32" or less.

6. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    Slingbox is your friend!
    Keep your contract active and steam anywhere in the world you can have internet connectivity.

Doctor j

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You can say that again!

Here's a useful site:

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints

8. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you have choices, and US TV is important, then make sure wherever you go has AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio & Television Service). It ain't DirecTV, but it IS something. I spent 9 years overseas, and did not get it anyplace. Of course today you have many on-line options that did not exist when I was overseas.

It will either be fed by cable, or by very low power OTA signals. You pretty much need to be on post/base to get it.

9. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    Or Naval ship ;)

10. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    DirecTV is in the Continental United States and Latin America only...