Millennials and Vacations

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Jun 1, 2019 #1 of 11
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Travel and Leisure:

From 2017:
    'Vacation Shaming' Is Preventing Millennials From Taking Time Off
    Bosses are making millennials feel guilty about taking a vacation, according to a new survey.
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

From 2019:
    Millennials Are Going on the Same Vacations Because They’re Too Tired to Research
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. Jun 2, 2019 #2 of 11
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    My first boss (who was also my father... yeah there's my first problem right there) would always give me a guilt trip whenever I thought about taking some time off, including throwing doubt as if I would still have a job if I took extended time off. When I rebooted my life and career, I was making just above minimum wage at the bottom of the ladder, so any big trips were out of the question. So, I decided to go back to school and get my degree. :) When I did get a better paying position, I generally reserved my days offs for exam days. Now, I do keep a close eye on paid time off (PTO) to avoid capping out, although, now that I'm a homeowner, I'm holding off on vacations until I whittle my mortgage balance down a chunk.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  3. Jun 2, 2019 #3 of 11
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    People are better off when they can get away from their job without fear of either losing the job or still being responsible for work for the time off. I take three weeks off each year but have still sold my PTO back to the company to stay below the cap. I currently have over six weeks of PTO in the bucket.

I have a list of requests and projects that need to get done that I work on from day to day. (Projects are bigger requests that take more than a couple of hours to complete. They may range from eight working hours to 80 working hours.) I try to clear my list of "five minute" jobs each week (stuff I could do from my desk in "five minutes" - which often becomes 30 minutes per request). Add to that the things people break ... that take priority and pushes back any attempt to complete the request/project list. Sadly taking a vacation does not shift the burden to someone else. Unless the request was being worked on by a team, no one else works on the requests assigned to me while I am gone - so a week off means a week where the requests pile up with no one doing more than putting them in my pile (even if someone else could fulfill the request). Broken things usually get fixed while I am gone ... but if a broken thing can wait for me to return it will be put on my list. So, as with the millennials in the article, time off is just time behind schedule.

I have years of experience doing my job so I can plan for poor planning by others. I know that people will forget that Memorial Day was May 27th until the afternoon of the 24th. So the last couple hours of my day are usually spent replying to people asking me if something is set up right for the holiday. Leaving early before a holiday would be a disaster. I can't imagine taking the whole week off before a holiday.

The bottom line is people NEED vacations. They need real vacations where they do not need to work ahead or catch up to get a vacation day. PTO is better spent on vacations than on sick days.

4. Jun 2, 2019 #4 of 11
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I always took my vacation days each year. When I retired in 1989 I had only five days accrued, which I was paid for.

5. Jun 2, 2019 #5 of 11
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    While I was still in the service, I kept a healthy balance of leave available for family emergency. When I was getting ready to leave, I took plenty of terminal leave and still sold 30 days back. My civilian career has been been one of "they give it you to refresh / recharge" and I took everything I had coming.

6. Jun 3, 2019 #6 of 11
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    My last vacation was back in the 1970s, when the factory closed for the first two weeks in July.

7. Jun 9, 2019 #7 of 11
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I think anyone who shames people to not take a vacation should be fired for being a jerk. All they are really doing is complaining because they don’t have enough people employed to properly cover for someone being on a vacation for a week or two or more because they are already pushing everyone to the edge of their abilities as it is.

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    In a corporation, it may not be that immediate manager's/supervisor's fault, but someplace up the leadership ladder. Especially when requests to replace people who have left that position aren't being replaced.

But, for a small business.... well, let me first quote my original message....

Slight problem there.... how do you fire the owner of a small business? Unfortunately, almost two decades after my father's passing, I'm still dealing with the emotional baggage.

9. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    At my former employer, we were only allowed to roll one week of vacation and it had to be used by the end of March. Given the seniority in my group, most of my employees had 25-30 days of vacation a year plus two floating holidays. So Thanksgiving to new years was always a mess to start with. In my twenty or so years of managing people, I occasionally had to veto vacation plans. When it happened, it was usually the same couple of people that tried to save all their vacation and take the last two or three weeks off in December. It's one of the reasons I started telling people in the June/July time-frame to make sure they planned ahead and took their vacation days early. By the time Halloween was rolling around, it was a weekly discussion item on my team calls to make sure they were talking to each other and planning out who was going to cover for the other the last few weeks of the year. By the beginning of November, I could already tell who was going to be in trouble and it was usually the same people every year. Coincidentally, those were the same people that ended up taking every Tuesday or Thursday off in November and December and were also the people taking an odd week off in the middle of March. Early on, it bothered me when I had to deny a vacation request. After a few years of seeing the same people do the same thing every year, it stopped bothering me.

As far as the article is concerned, one of the big things I saw with my employees is that very few of them took the traditional week or two week summer vacations like their parents did in the past. So I had all these people with 20+ days of vacation trying to do these short 3-4 day weekend mini-vacations. That works fine when you only have 5-10 days of vacation. However, when you get up into the higher vacation numbers and throw in a good number of holidays that fall on a Monday, you can't take enough of them to keep from losing some vacation at the end of the year. My employees that did the classic week or two week summer vacations didn't run into the vacation give back issue nearly as often. My 3 day weekend guys were the ones that would wake up one day in late November and realize crap, I still have 15 vacation days to burn and there are only 25 working days left in the year.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If he has allowed you vacation time then threatens your job if you take it? Bite me, take and call his bluff.

I did to my bosses who didn’t want me to go for as long as I did sometimes. Guess what everything went just fine. (Ok one time all hell broke lose because two days after I left on a two week vacation my company got bought by another and my boss changed to a different company two days before I got back and then I was running the store by myself for a couple months but, eh it worked out fine. We merged and I took another two week vacation six months latter to recover. That was a weird time)

11. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    As I said before, he passed away almost two decades before. Which is why I will probably won't go into business for myself.

I can see where you are coming from. Yes, I was the PITA who would request time off for the last two weeks in December.... as early as January that year. Something about "plenty of planning on my part constitutes an emergency on your part". For some people, those vacation plans require coordination with their significant other whose schedule isn't as flexible (those who work for educational institutions easily come to mind).