Mini Client Can't Find Directv Network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by wingnut19, Nov 14, 2019.

1. wingnut19

wingnut19 New Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Been with Directv for less than 2 months and brand new to this forum. Was a long-time Dish Network customer with older equipment so still trying to figure out this stuff about Genies and Clients and SWM's and Splitters (oh, my!). I recently had a SL3 slim-line dish, HR54-500, and one, wired C51-500 Mini installed at my Northern residence. Installer reused existing Dish Network cabling (just using one of the twin cables from old dish location to new splitter). Having recently gone south for the winter, I purchased and self-installed a new SL3 slim-line dish (only difference I can tell is that this one has a RB LNB vs non-RB on the northern dish). I have been able to get a very good satellite signal (96-100 transponder levels on 101) and the HR-54 connected to my main TV works great. My problem is that my mini client located in the bedroom when turned on says "Connecting" and then gives a message saying, "Directv network connection not found. Check cabling." I have checked all cable connections and even tried a different cable from splitter to C51. I have tried re-setting the HR-54 and C51 (both at once and individually), all to no avail. I am wondering if perhaps the splitter is the problem (it's 8-way, green label). I did use a 50ft CCS cable to run from LNB to splitter because I couldn't find solid core, but with the HR-54 working so good I tend to think that is not the problem. Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be. I ordered a new 2-way, green label splitter to try but it hasn't arrived yet.

2. wingnut19

wingnut19 New Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Bump! Anybody ever heard of this problem?

3. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I was thinking that D* needs to authorize the client but I assume that you just moved the HR-54 and C51 client from your northern to southern homes, so in theory the system is already authorized. I would call D* and ask them to reauthorize the client - I think the problem is at the D* side not anything wrong at your southern home. I remember when I had the Genie + client installed last year the installer had to call D* to authorize each client tied in to the specific Genie. Since the HR-54 is working you clearly have power to the Genie. I would try to reverse the location of the Genie and client and see if the Genie still works at the client location. Remember however that if you do not have a separate power supply to the Genie then the temporary location of the Genie must be driven off the hot (power) (red) location of the splitter to get power to the LNB.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I expect there is a splitter somewhere. Did you reuse Dish's splitter or did you change that/those to Directv green label splitters. Special splitters for the clients/Moca network.

5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah trace the entire coax line. Make sure there are zero other connections anywhere. How long are all the runs?

6. wingnut19

wingnut19 New Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Thanks for the replies.
    DirectMan: Yes, I just brought the authorized HR-54 and C51 with me so assumed they would still be authorized. I will try reversing the genie and client locations tomorrow (making sure genie is connected to red power pass location on splitter). I guess the idea of doing this is to see if the genie still works at the old client location (i.e., to make sure the cabling to the old client location is not the problem...right?).

NR4P: No, I didn't reuse Dish's splitter. I bought a new dish kit that came with new slim-line dish, RBLNB with SWM, 8-1 green label splitter, and power inserter. I didn't use the power inserter since I understand HR-54 powers the LNB. I did reuse the existing dish cabling with the exception of the cable running from my new splitter/ground block to the new LNB (which I replaced with a 50ft CCS RG6 and separate ground wire). Are the "special" splitters you are referring to just "green label" splitters?

7. wingnut19

wingnut19 New Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Cabling isn't very complicated.

New CCS, RG6, 50ft cable from LNB to splitter.

~50ft pre-existing Dish Network, RG6 cable from red power pass connection at splitter to HR-54.

~20ft pre-existing Dish Network, RG6 cable from splitter to butt connector at wall plate + ~15ft pre-existing Dish Network, RG6 cable from butt connector at wall plate to C51 mini client.

All cables and connections are visable, connections are tight, and wire condition looks "ok".

8. wingnut19

wingnut19 New Member

Oct 5, 2019
    I tried reversing the locations of the genie and client today. Genie worked just fine in the client location and client still could not connect at genie location so I put them back the way they were. New splitter supposed to be here tomorrow so I will try that before contacting D*. Thanks to all for you input.

9. wingnut19

wingnut19 New Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Well, I have solved the problem...but boy, is my face red!! My new splitter arrived today and after installing it there was no change in the problem. I gave in and called D* tech support and they basically rewalked my through the stuff I had already done (i.e., check connections, reset receivers, etc) but ended up with no improvement. But one of the things the tech guy did was ask if I had any other splitters or barrel connectors in the wiring (other than the green label splitter). I told him that I had a barrel connector at the wall plate but that I had bypassed it with a different cable direct from splitter to mini client and still got the "no connection" message. He said the next step he recommended was a $99 service call, which I declined for the time being. After hanging up, I mulled over his concern that barrel connectors or other splitters could cause possibly the problem I was having so I reconnected a known good RG6 cable bypass of the connector at the wall plate and went on to re-check the cable going from the splitter to the Genie (which I thought I had pretty thoroughly done in the past). Lo and Behold!! I found a splitter that I didn't know existed behind my furnace. At a glance it looks like the cable just goes behind the furnace from one side and comes out the other, but there was a splitter (that went "nowhere" else) in the cable behind the furnace. I removed the splitter and luckily had enough cable to still reach the Genie. When I connected that cable to the Genie and powered up the system again, the mini client connected to the Genie and works as it is supposed to. Sorry to be so long winded but I hope this might help someone else to solve this problem if they ever run in to it.

TheRatPatrol and compnurd like this.
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Yeah... Make a sketch of your cabling, splitting, switches, plates,etc and approximate lengths of cables; add LNBF type
    Perhaps other people in your household will appreciate the drawing too