1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minneapolis Music on XM

Discussion in 'Sirius XM General Discussion' started by Richard King, May 2, 2008.

1. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    For those who think that the "Minneapolis Sound" started with that little purple guy, this show covers Minneapolis music from even before I moved there as a high school junior (1965).

I just tune in and I already heard one error. He introduced a Prince portion talking about him having been known as "Rogers Nelson" before being called Prince. This is incorrect in that his real name is "Prince Rogers Nelson" and he was always called Prince, well, other than the time he changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol.

2. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Very bad programming. :barf: Way too much filler and not enough REAL local music.

3. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Too bad.

I've got to tell you a Minneapolis music scene story. A friend of mine was at one point very active in the Minneapolis music scene, years ago when Prince was a struggling artist. My buddy, while playing a totally different kind of music, considers himself very talented and has a couple of Grammys to back that up. He didn't think Prince Rogers Nelson had anything on him. They were competitors. But of course Prince hit it big and my buddy didn't, ending that competition.

Soon afterwards, my buddy, whose nickname is Mooch, was walking down a Minneapolis street. Coming toward him was his rival, now with a posse. As the masses parted enough to allow my friend to pass, Prince, showing he's cool, said, "Hi, Mooch."

My buddy responded, "Hi, Rog." A Cheshire Cat grin lead him further down the street.

4. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Great story. I did tons of business with Prince when I was in the pro audio business there (designed, wired and installed the system he used for recording much of the Purple Rain project). What was your friend's real name. I may have known him.... pm if you desire.

As for the program I could have put together a MUCH better and more interesing program.