1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing channels on even transponders?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by obiewancoyote, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obiewancoyote

obiewancoyote New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Hi Guys,

I'm trying to sort our an issue w/ my DP311 and DP-Twin connection. I'm lost any channel seemingly of the 119 satellite on an even transponder (stuff like Nickelodeon, Disney, USA and the Food channel) . The Food channel's always been an issues since the install. But the majority of these channels are important as my twin boys have been driving their mother crazy w/o cartoons for the past week.

I've been through the cs process and they want to send out a tech. My wife is very uncomfortable w/ strangers in the house while I'm at work. So I'm trying to trouble shoot this on my own. I'm a lowly PC Tech with little knowledge of Sat TV service. But I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on the subject.

So my question if somebody just doesn't know the answer off hand.

The above channels are on even transponders. And I've noticed in the Dish Signal Strength/Check Switch dialog that it specifies "Odd" polarity. Does this mean my receiver is only "listening" to odd transponders?

If anyone has any idea what's up. I'd be happy to hear from them. Or if this has been posted somewhere else, and I missed the post... I do search for these things before asking.

Thanks much, -Coyote

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    :welcome_s

This may be worth trying; no guarantee.
    Disconnect the satellite cables from your receiver.
    Run a Check Switch.
    Reconnect the satellite cables and rerun your Check Switch.
    Good luck.

3. obiewancoyote

obiewancoyote New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Well I've come to find out that about half of my channels are actually missing. Most of them off satellite 119 but a couple off of 110. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks -Coyote

4. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    You may have a cable (or connector) problem. Quite often when even transponders are missing it is because moisture got into the cable or connector and the LNB can't switch to them. It takes a higher voltage to switch to them and moisture causes the voltage to be too low for the LNB to switch. It could be a bad LNB too but check the connectors frist. If you see any indication of moisture (corrosion, ect.) you likely found your problem.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    In order to switch from odd to even transponders the lnb must be sent a certain voltage, one voltage tells it odd the other voltage tells it even. This appears to have failed either due to a cableing problem, a receiver problem or an lnb problem.

If even transponders are also missing from 110, that probably eliminates the lnb, because both should not have failed at the same time. Check all your connections for moisture. If you have another receiver see how it acts.

The tech might not be a bad idea. Try to schedule one on a day when you'll be home.

6. obiewancoyote

obiewancoyote New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Thanks for the responses thus far. Still no joy however. I've checked the connections from dish to receiver. I found one connector that had some black stuff in it. Wasn't sure if it was contact grease or something else... Cleaned it out. No gain, no loss neither.

I keep hearing issues regarding the LNB, which I'm assuming from context refers to the receiving assembly on the dish? Is there any way to check it for water? I'm assuming this would be a less than user friendly endeavor?

Thanks for all of your help, hope to figure out the real issue soon.

Only other thing I can think of is, the stretch of cable in the wall which was not replaced. Maybe I'll swap it out w/ a new cable...

7. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Black stuf inside of the connector means corrosion. It needs to be replaced and the socket on the lnb needs to be cleaned.

8. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I had a similar problem a couple years ago after a heavy snow. Someone here suggested moisture in the switch. Cleaned off the snow and let everything dry out and the channels were back. Forgot about it for a month until it failed again on New Year's Eve. Happened to have a spare switch so I changed it, wrapped the whole thing in plastic because I didn't have any silicon to seal it, and it worked perfectly from then on.

9. obiewancoyote

obiewancoyote New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Well, I must say that I can declare there is some joy. Come to find out it was the cable in between the wall plate and external wire that was killing me. However now, my issue seems to be reception. So I guess It's time to tinker w/ alignment? My even transponders on 119... they're the one's I've been looking at. Are posting somewhere short of 50 on the signal strength meter.

Thanks for everybody's help. Although I do have one more question... what does LNB stand for? Is there a glossary on this forum that I haven't run across yet?

Thanks -Coyote

10. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
  11. obiewancoyote

obiewancoyote New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Well, did some diagnostic work w/ my trusty old 19" CRT and my cable box. Come to find out... the dish was somewhere around 10-15 degrees off in rotation to the west. But I'm still loosing 15 points on the signal strength meter because it seems the sheet metal pressed together arm for the LNB is sagging.

Grr... but the important thing is my kids channels are back. Thanks for all of your help.

-Coyote & Family

12. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.