Missing or Odd Tiles

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Blowgun, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1 of 18
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I noticed over the past week a lot of missing or odd tiles. Between the two Hoppers here, the issue is not 100 percent consistent. I figured that, like when the Hoppers were first installed, the tile cache needed to be built or in this case, rebuilt. So, I have taken the usual steps of unplugging the receivers and let them do their thing, but right now I would call the issue stagnate or perhaps getting worse.

To provide some examples, Survivor and The Amazing Race (both CBS) have generic "Reality TV" tiles when recorded. In the EPG, Survivor shows the "Reality TV" tile, but The Amazing Race has no tile at all. In contrast, last season both show tiles consisted of a picture of Jeff Probst and Phil Keoghan, respectively. Recent premiering shows such as The Last Man on Earth (Fox) and The Odd Couple (CBS) premiered with no tile and when they are recorded they have a generic dark gray "DISH" tile. When looking in the EPG, my ABC and CBS 11 PM local news have no tile, but a proper tile is present for local NBC. Again, when recorded the no tile becomes a generic dark gray "DISH" tile. Also, Jimmy Kimmel Live has no tile in the EPG, yet the Late Show With David Letterman and the Tonight Show have proper tiles. There are far to many examples to list here that do this, but I quite frequently see the dark gray only tile under the "You Might Also Like" area of the INFO screen.

Anyway, does anyone else see these missing or odd tiles on their Hopper and what, if anything, can be done to fix this?

2. Mar 2, 2015 #2 of 18
    dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I recorded a few movies this last weekend and noticed some have gray tiles. I'm not sure how to fix this. It is annoying but doesn't affect th erecording.

3. Mar 2, 2015 #3 of 18
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Other than breaking the entire premise of DISH's heavy dependance on tiles, I agree the tile issue shouldn't have any direct impact on recordings. Although, a few recordings do have glitches and it is particularly worse on Fox. It is times like this I wish DISH included the legacy List mode. The closest is the "Folders By Title" hybrid mode, but that does not fully mitigate the annoyance of having missing or odd tiles.

4. Mar 2, 2015 #4 of 18
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    A known issue that Dish is aware of and is working on.

5. Mar 3, 2015 #5 of 18
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Does this known issue have any sort of workaround?

6. Mar 3, 2015 #6 of 18
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    None that I'm aware of. I've only had the issue with Survivor and Amazing Race. Others have had it with other programs.

7. Mar 4, 2015 #7 of 18
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I can only check one Hopper right now, but from what I can tell the missing tiles are back. Looking in the EPG, Survivor now has the original tile that was there before the incident occurred. The Amazing Race has a new featureless boring green tile. The ABC and CBS 11 PM local news channels that previously had generic gray "DISH" tiles now have tiles that are different then before they disappeared. The NBC local news tile is the same as before. All late night talk shows have their original tiles back.

Looking at previous recordings, Survivor and The Amazing Race still have their generic "Reality TV" tiles. The previous local news recordings went from having a generic gray "DISH" tile to having all of their tiles updated. Evidently having "different" tiles in the EPG does not automatically update previous recordings until after a new recording of the same event has been made. I guess time, actually, a lot of time, turns out to be the only fix.

thomasjk, maybe the tiles for your Survivor recordings will update later tonight?

8. Mar 4, 2015 #8 of 18
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    I will be checking them. I also noticed one other show whose name escapes me, that had an incorrect tile.
    Edit:
    The program in question was Fox Sports Extra which had ABC 2 icon on the DVR. I noticed this morning that Dishanywhere has a problem with our local Fox channels. Using the browser I see a generic DishAnywhere Icon on the Fox News local 46. On the Android app they have an icon but say CW instead of fox.

9. Mar 5, 2015 #9 of 18
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Well, it only took 24 hours for some of the tiles that returned to become MIA again. Also lost Nova and others.

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    I have reported this issue to Dish. I'm also seeing this using DishAnywhere android app and logging in to DishAnywhere.com. The Survivor icon for last nights show is correct but last weeks recording still has the Reality TV version. The Amazing Race is still showing the green generic icon that says "Amazing Race" for tomorrow night.

11. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Funny how the previously recorded local news recordings repopulated their tiles with the updated tile from the EPG, but that the previously recorded Survivor and The Amazing Race recordings did not.

When a different set of tiles went missing in only 24 hours, I too contacted DISH and reported the issue. I casually mentioned that the tiles disappearing was a known issue, but the person I talked to said that DISH is unaware of any issues with disappearing tiles.

Because DISH seems completely inept in fixing something as simple as the wrong Network icon designations for my local channels (ie: CW is not Univision), I had serious doubts that the report would go beyond the call. Yet, today, when I checked all of the usual suspects, the tiles had again returned. Don't know if it has anything to do with our calls to DISH, but we'll see what happens over the next 24 to 48 hours.

12. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Well, the local news and late night stuff continues to have their tiles, but sporadic shows are now showing up with their tiles missing. For example, while the tile for The Last Man on Earth (Fox) returned, the Hopper lost the tile for Top Gear (BBC) and The Jinx: The Life and Deaths (HBO-E). Other shows in the "You Might Also Like" area of the INFO screen occasionally turn up missing. Probably at some point we will again lose a random mix of the local news and late night tiles.

I wonder if DISH is banking on this bug getting squashed when the new "Carbon" UI goes public. If that turns out to be the case, it is probably better to report the issue now and often, so that does not become the prevailing excuse.

In any case, I do not understand why everything was fine for months and then all of a sudden this crap started happening. Because it seems to happen identically to people, it is as if someone from IT forgot to go into the DISH/Tribune basement and check the water level of the tile server boiler. ;)

13. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    noticed this problem with the recording of a new series Secrets & Lies

14. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Dish can only give you information the get from their guide provider...

It's not the end of the world.

15. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    I checked the EPG for Secrets and Lies and I too see the tile missing. So, it is consistent.

16. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    This is incorrect. As I mentioned above, I checked the EPG for Secrets and Lies and the tile is missing. However, in order to find which day of the week the show aired I did a search. Guess what? The tile is there.

Every subsequent search I did for every show with a missing tile in the EPG and ultimately in "My Recordings", had their tile through search. It is not a "guide provider" error, it is a firmware bug.

If and when I get DISH for free, maybe then I might get dismissive and become part of the problem.

17. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    True enough,,,,,,,,,,,but the hopper is supposed to be "world class".......so these types of "features" should function properly

18. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Sorry, I now see how serious this is... :nono2:

Perhaps DirecTV could do better...