Missing posters and other guide data

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Delroy E Walleye, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Jul 8, 2020 #1 of 17
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I'm curious if anyone knows anything official about why posters and other extensive guide and program-related data are not being transmitted to the HRs anymore.

Is this a permanent removal, or might it be being transmitted from another sat and requiring a different LNB or setting in the DVR?

The only difference now between the H receiver (which never had this feature) and the HR DVR is how far the guide goes out. (typically only 4 to 6 days on the H receiver). Other than that the lacking guides are identical now.

Might this be fixed in the future like the channel logos were last year?

2. Jul 8, 2020 #2 of 17
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There is nothing official yet. Directv is aware from the CE forum and for some stupid reason thought it was CE related however no word on the issue or a fix

Rich likes this.
  3. Jul 9, 2020 #3 of 17
    Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    I could care less about posters in the guide. We don't need any of that crap. Just want a readable guide and the highest picture quality available on my screen when I watch Television.

242424 likes this.
  4. Jul 9, 2020 #4 of 17
    mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    How do you get access to the CE forum?

5. Jul 9, 2020 #5 of 17
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Go to Edgecutter Cutting Edge Forums

6. Jul 9, 2020 #6 of 17
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    While I'm not completely sure (correct me if I'm wrong), you're not using an HR (DVR), but H receivers.

As far as I know, the H receivers never had those "missing" features and they certainly wouldn't be missed on a plain receiver.

However, for the rest of us paying for so-called "advanced receiver" DVR fees, this is just another thing taken away that myself and others may find useful and feel we have been paying extra for all along.

It's not just posters, but extensive cast and crew data (many with photos) that I have found useful, including the ability to reverse-lookup filmography and television, even if those programs are not in the current guide.

That's all gone now.

I probably wouldn't be so disappointed if there were any kind of trade off in "performance" gain. But there's not. The DVRs are just not as snappy as say an H25 receiver (excepting the HR44 when it first came out, which may have been a shade snappier back then - even with the posters).

They did used to be.

The absence of that data has not sped up the DVR's guide or list navigation in the slightest. Although one would think it would.

7. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Which thread?

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When I put the SSD on my 44 for the first time I thought it would cure that and it seemed to for a little while, then the SW dragged it down. The 44 and my 24s still run better than they ever did but what bothers you still bothers me. And I have no idea what else to do.

Rich

Delroy E Walleye likes this.
  9. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    You're absolutely correct. And I am so very glad with my H25/500 Receivers. They are so much smoother than any DVR. I would never upgrade to a DVR. When I go to turn on TV, that H25/500 HD Receiver works. It doesn't freeze like the DVR I had back in 2016 for a very short time. I’d be watching television on that DVR & the screen would freeze up anytime a "local commercial" would air. Worst experience I EVER had with any receiver. Reverted back to the Regular HD Receiver (4) of them and all my tv’s work flawless with them. I am sure you will say something like I cannot record or stuff like that. I am not worried about bells & whistles of what a DVR has or can display. All I care about is if my receiver is going to deliver programming to me error free. The H25/500 does that for me.

Delroy E Walleye likes this.
  10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    All five of my HRs, four 24s and a 44, work as your H25s. Error-free and all the benefits of a DVR. Yeah, I had the same problems you did, we both solved our problems but in different ways. All my DVRs have SSDs in them. The problems we saw back in the day were (and are) caused by old HDDs in the HRs.

Rich

11. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I've got an H25 (/100 I think) still in use after five and a half years or so. Only problems with it are usually Whole Home-related and fixed with a simple RBR or menu restart.

Before D* started "gumming-up" whole home it was about the best thing in my system (until the arrival of the brand new HR44 before they deteriorated the performance of those things and messed up the new UI - hasn't even been connected for a couple years).

I do like that the H25 bypasses those inserted ads, too.

Whole home used to work so well that DVR-to-DVR trickplay was almost as fast as local. Not anymore (for a few years, now).

But another reason I like using the H25 for whole home is that the skip button commands can be "stacked" and not have to see one frame of ads.

(And that it can set up recordings for any DVR in the system.)

It's definitely a great quick little receiver, though. Even all by itself.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Rich likes this.
  12. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Update (7/18/20):

Looks like this may have been fixed at last.

Posters and other data appeared to be about 75% by bedtime last night (7/17) and a bit further along now.

(Apparently the channel logos issue in the other thread seems to be resolving as well.)

There was a firmware update for two of the HR2x on Tuesday. I did reset one of them but decided not to reset the other, which I usually always do on updates.

The non-reset HR had still retained the old poster and guide data and I decided to leave it alone. (Figured I had nothing to lose on the other one one since the data hadn't returned since its last reset.)

I think in all the time since I started this thread until last night there were maybe two or three posters ever that showed up (without the other "extended" associated data).

Hopefully this stays fixed.

Thanks for all the responses.

Rich likes this.
  13. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    My HR54 started repopulating about 24 hours ago and it seems like it's about 90% complete.

14. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I am missing a lot of my guide data and the menus are working properly. Is this all due to a software update? Mine (HR54) updated In June so that doesn’t seem to be the cause.

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Guide data wouldn’t be effected by a software update Have you tried restarting? Or doing a clearmybox to get a clean data download

16. dminches

dminches Godfather

Oct 1, 2006
    I did restart. I will see what that does.

Can you remind me how to do a “clearmybox”?

17. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Just do a keyword search for clearmybox

it will reboot on its own and clean out the posters and guide data. Will take 48 or so hours for everything to reload

dminches likes this.