MLB 2020

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The 2020 MLB season begins Thursday. Finally. Only 60 games in the regular season, a sprint. Then the playoffs and the World Series. Both leagues will use the DH. No fannies in the seats yet or for the foreseeable future. But they're gonna play. Finally.

As I have each year since I became a Yankees fan I'm picking the Yanks to win the Series.

It will be interesting to see how the MVP and rookie awards work out. A player that hits 7 homers will be equal to a player that hits 20 in this shortened season. Not sure how the season is gonna work out for pitchers, I'd think a 7 or 8 game-winner would be a Cy Young candidate.

Thoughts?

Rich

2. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Can't get very excited about the schedule. Teams playing exclusively in the West, Central, and East and not at all in Canada. LA Times baseball preview completely ignored Eastern and Central teams.

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's gonna be strange, for sure. I watched the Yankees play the Mets the last two nights and the lack of a crowd didn't bother me at all. That surprised me. I watch The Late Show every night and that show really needs a crowd.

Rich

4. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    My Dodgers will see your Yanks in the series.

Yeah every game worth 3 tines normal should be interesting. I expect two teams at least to make the playoffs that you otherwise wouldn’t expect. Possibly even the Angels.

And since sprint merged with T-Mobile evidently I get mlb.tv for free this year! Doubt I’ll use it but that’s cool.

5. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I subbed to MLB a couple of years ago. Thought I wouldn't have any use for it. Now I use it constantly.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That would make me very happy. I watch a lot of Dodger games, a very interesting team. We should be hearing about the playoffs soon. I have no idea how many teams are gonna make the playoffs at the moment. The Angels would be scary in a short series if everyone is healthy.

Rich

7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you excited Rich? :)

8. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    Placed my first bet since the Super Bowl today on the Yankees. Took 'em on the moneyline to win @ -170. If I win, I think I win like $2.95 !! I know I am not a high roller, but it sure felt great to do a little sports betting. It's even legal !

Rich likes this.
  9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Big time! Did you see Cole pitch last night? OMG!

Rich

10. mickat

mickat New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Now if we can just keep every body off the IL list this year we might reach our goal as W winners.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't think about the IL, don't talk about it. We never know what will cause a jinx. Butterfly in the Amazon and all that stuff.

I was impressed by Stanton in the last game. He looks a bit more like a ballplayer this year, perhaps he listened to a batting coach. He has a complete season and Judge stays on the field and we are going to the WS! Don't forget, they almost made it last year without those guys. Paxton tonight, another guy we need to stay healthy.

Rich

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just keep the players off of the COVID positive list.

So what is freaker ... the cutout fan pictures in the stadium seats or the virtual fans created by Fox?

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've watched the games and the lack of fannies in the seats has not bothered me at all. I've watched fight cards the same way, empty arena. It hasn't made a bit of difference to me. I'm surprised. I thought it would be like watching The Late Show without the audience. I do watch that but it kinda sucks without the audience. Colbert needs an audience to play off of and, at home, he has nothing like that.

I have to see how they keep football players off the COVID list. Rutgers just announced they have a bunch of players that just came down with COVID. Football has to be the worst sport imaginable when it comes to protecting the players from the disease.

Rich

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The question is what to do with those empty seats. Options are:
    1) Focus cameras on the sport and avoid showing seats unless needed to show the sport.
    2) Use cut out fans to fill the seats.
    3) Use virtual CGI fans to fill the seats.
    4) Other.

I prefer option 1 ... show the sport, avoid the seats. I didn't tune in to see the seats whether they are full or not. I didn't watch the games, but I saw highlights on my local news illustrating options 2 and 3. Option 2 cutouts just seemed weird. Option 3 was expected to be "more real" with motion but watching a home run hit into a section of virtual fans and seeing no reaction made me feel like I was watching bobble heads.

Obviously these are visual options ... the option to have recorded crowd noise and an engineer playing the crowd noise to match the action helps in sports with crowd noises. But that takes work and could lead to different audio engineer for home vs away feeds. More distracting than the silent reality.

BTW: I find Colbert acceptable without an audience although I know it has been hard on him and other comedians to work without a crowd. Colbert is off for a couple weeks and will return from somewhere else (but not his theater) so there may be improvements. Hopefully whatever the choose is more real and they don't try some hokey fake reality fix.

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I like the cutouts. You buy and pay for them and all the money goes to charity. Sounds good to me. Plus there are also moments like the one a few days ago where a hone run took the head off one... the owner of the cutout asked on Twitter if the player would get him that ball.. the player said I’ll hook you up! Like the little extra interaction from the fans oh that one. Hope to see more of it.

Empty stands and cutouts are fine with me. The fake crowd just looked, well, fake... I could do without that.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I like the way the "proper" sounds are played at the appropriate times. Hit a homer and the crowd goes wild. I read about the cutouts you can order, they cost 86 bucks apiece.

Rich

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Ha! It’s $149 for field or lodge and 299 for dodger club or dodger home run pavilion for the dodger stadium cutouts.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Everything in CA is more expensive. Even a cardboard cutout? Geez.

Rich