1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB blacked out

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Chazb, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Chazb

Chazb AllStar

Jan 28, 2007
    I live in St.louis and turned on MlB network to watch baseball tonight since the cardinals played a day game.The channel was blocked out and the tech told me it was because the game was not sold out 72 hours in advance ,well hardly any game is sold out and I said you are confused with football and I live in a different city anyway.I said mam there must be other reasons so she just kept repeating the same thing and well I lost my temper which I never do and I regret that now.
    I just wanted a real answer and I still do not believe that the game had to be a sellout 72 hours in advance to be shown in another city and she said she was 100 percent correct so had anyone else had a problem with channel 213 or was she right and I was a a&& over nothing.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Here is the DirecTV posting for blackouts on MLB EI channels:

But you're not talking about EI, but one of the MLB Network channels. I went back to see what was scheduled for tonight on that channel, but I can't.

Is it possible the game you wanted to see was being shown on another sports channel?

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    This always confuses people with MLB Channel.

There are typically two MLB Channel games on at the same time. One on 213 and on one 214/214-1. Every location gets one of those games, so the other is blacked out. Even if neither game involves local teams. Only one is open to you at any location.

For example, I live near Baltimore. If the Orioles played a day game and MLB had the Yankees playing someone and the Cubs playing someone else in another game, I would probably get the Yankee game because MLB figures I'd be more interested in it being in Baltimore. So, the Yankee game (no matter if it is on 213 or 214/214-1) would be on and the Cub game would be blacked out.

4. Chazb

Chazb AllStar

Jan 28, 2007
    Thank you,that is all the rep had to say instead repeating the 72 hour sellout rule which happens in football but not baseball.You explained it very well.

5. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
  6. Chazb

Chazb AllStar

Jan 28, 2007
  7. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    Forgive me...just trying to help

8. Chazb

Chazb AllStar

Jan 28, 2007
    I appreciate it.

9. brucegrr

brucegrr Icon

Sep 14, 2006
    Ney, Ohio
    As far as I know there is no sell out rule. There is a sell out rule in football. It is all about what home team market you are in. I am in in three, Detroit, Cleveland, and Cincinnati. When games are covered by MLB or ESPN it shows as blacked out and I have to turn to my local fox sports affiliate.

10. dxtrfn80

dxtrfn80 Mentor

Apr 17, 2012
    My area always gets Yankees games even if it is the alternate game unless the Orioles play the Yankees which is blacked out naturally so I have to watch MASN over the YES feed.

11. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI
    You'd think after being in business so many years, D* would actually care about the garbage that sometimes come out of the CSR's mouth. This to me is the most frustrating part of being a D* sub when you call about a sports blackout issue, no matter the sport, and they come back with the 72 hour sellout garbage.

12. Chazb

Chazb AllStar

Jan 28, 2007
    I hate to admit it but when they said the "72" hour rule my head turned red and I told them that they are giving out bad info and she said that she was correct.I then said this is only for football and only if it is a home game after that I give up.
    I will admit I did not know about the alternate channel for MLB but Tony helped me out on that one and that is what the csr should of done.This is really the only time I have had trouble with a csr.

13. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    Tomorrow evening (7/28), MLB Network is carrying the Reds and the White Sox.

As I am in Indy, both games will be available to me on RSNs (CSN Chicago and FSN Cincinnati).

I guess I will be blacked out of BOTH games on MLB Network? I'm sure it's a pretty rare circumstance.

14. sdk009

sdk009 Icon

Jan 19, 2007
    Kihei, Maui, HI