MLB blackouts

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by jerfrans, Mar 31, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jerfrans

jerfrans New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Florida
    First; NOT trying to get anything for free. I have sports pack and MLB baseball package.
    Wife and I live in FL most of the year, but spend a few months during mlb season in the northeast.
    In the area you are in one mlb market over here and 20 miles east you're in another mlb market.
    So how does DTV know that i am actually in one place or the other? Or don't they?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They rely on your honesty and strength of character.

3. Apr 1, 2021 #3 of 12
    jerfrans

jerfrans New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Florida
    1. Ouch! Maybe I am conveniently self justifying but I DO PAY for the MLB package so this is just a convo about a few games as to which channel .... that I have paid for.... is viewable. But point taken,

4. Apr 1, 2021 #4 of 12
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe DIRECTV opens up both channels, the normal RSN and the MLB EI channel, for subscribers who are outside of the team's local market. Inside the team's local market you would only receive the local RSN's coverage. No opposing team coverage. Both the regular RSN and MLB EI channel for the opposing team would be blacked out. In the rare case where DIRECTV does not carry a specific RSN you would be able to receive that RSN as part of MLB EI outside of the team's local market - except if it was opposing team coverage for a market you were in.

Sorry for the "ouch" ... we have a long history of people trying to break blackouts by not being honest. DIRECTV isn't going to know what market you are in unless you tell them. You should tell them but in recent years DIRECTV has made that process less friendly.

5. Apr 2, 2021 #5 of 12
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    DIRECTV does know what market you are in. I have not found a way to fool Marquee into allowing me to view it. Even via VPN it looks promising until you try to link DIRECTV and at that point it tells me I can't watch because I am not in the Cubs broadcast territory even if I'm using a Chicago VPN IP address. They have to be getting that info from DIRECTV of where I am at.

6. Apr 2, 2021 #6 of 12
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Unless you are in the Marquee market you cannot subscribe to Marquee via DIRECTV. While the site can accept DIRECTV credentials, non-subscribers to Marquee cannot watch.

7. Apr 3, 2021 #7 of 12
    b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Exactly. And DIRECTV is telling Marquee my real location even if my IP address is in Chicago.

8. Apr 4, 2021 #8 of 12
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    To the op, if you have extra innings you should be able to get all the games for both markets. So it shouldn’t matter especially if you are using the mlbtv app on a streaming device.

9. Apr 4, 2021 #9 of 12
    jerfrans

jerfrans New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Florida
    Each subscriber is within a specific MLB market. Example if you live in Wisconsin, you're in the Brewers market. Lets say you're a Cubs fan and always watch their broadcast. When the CUbs play the Brewers, the Cubs broadcast is gonna be blacked out for you and will will have to watch the Brewers broadcast. That is the gist of this convo.

10. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Not necessarily. I think there is a very small portion of Southeastern Wisconsin that is actually part of Cubs Territory. I believe around the Kenosha, Wisconsin Area the Cubs are shown there on Marquee if you have the DIRECTV Sportspack. In fact if you type in Kenosha’s Zip Code on MLB’s Blackout Restriction Site, it lists that area as Brewers, Cubs, & White Sox Territory. Bottom line whatever zip code is tied to your DIRECTV service account, that is what team is considered as your "Local" team. If you have a Florida Zip Code you're gonna get Florida Teams whether they be the Rays or Marlins. Any team the Rays or Marlins play would be Blacked Out for you, BUT you should be able to get the Rays or Marlins feed.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021 at 5:41 PM
  11. Rob37

Rob37 Active Member

Jul 10, 2013
    They know by your Zip Code that is tied to your account. MLB Blackouts are determined by your Zip Code.

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    More accurately, at least one MLB market. My area is local for Cubs and White Sox (90 miles), Tigers (190 miles) and Cincinnati (250 miles). One has to have the right RSN to view those teams (home or away). DIRECTV' Choice package only includes Cubs and Sox in my area (add Sports Pack for Tigers and Cincinnati). $9.13 RSN fee.