1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB EI and E*

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SMosher, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 6, 2008 #1 of 21
    SMosher

SMosher Godfather

Jan 16, 2006
    Anyone hear if this will be another crap year I have sub to DirecTv for MLB EI?

2. Feb 6, 2008 #2 of 21
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I think it is crap through at least 2009. Not sure about that, but don't seem like Charlie will do much more in that endeavour, anyway.

3. Feb 6, 2008 #3 of 21
    cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    I believe not, i believe they will have to wait till the contract ends to try to get it again

4. Feb 6, 2008 #4 of 21
    Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    The business model he has evidently has no room for sports fans, preferring to cater to others. This is why after 11 years with DISH I finally switched to DirecTV.

It seems fruitless to wait for him to change -- as long as he controls DISH they will never get Sunday Ticket or Extra Innings.

5. Feb 6, 2008 #5 of 21
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    Perhaps MLB EI will be available on Dish in 2014 after the exclusive 700 million, seven-year agreement that MLB, Direct TV and InDemand have expires.

I like the Dish Network Multi Sports Package for MLB. It is the dime store alternative to MLB EI and almost every night you can watch at least an inning or two of some out of market games (after the 3 hour blackout lifts; 2.5 for NBA and NHL). Rain delays, extra innings, are great.

That's plenty of baseball for me. Your mileage may vary.

MLB doesn't care how much money or subscribers Dish Network would leave on the table. Direc TV and In Demand gave baseball more money for Extra Innings and a guaranteed outlet for "The Baseball Channel" than if the old deal were continued.

Extra Innings has nothing to do with the amount of subscribers, as much as it has to do with the amount of guaranteed dollars that Direc TV and InDemand can provide.

Prior to last year, MLB received a cut of each Extra Innings subscriber signed up by the multichannel vendor. Last year, Direc TV and InDemand guaranteed a specific amount of money (not subscribers) to MLB. So MLB doesn't care about the subscriber amounts on MLB Extra Innings, as it doesn't help the bottom line.

6. Feb 6, 2008 #6 of 21
    Stephen J

Stephen J Legend

Mar 26, 2006
    Do you get the HD feed of the channel when you buy the multi sport pack?

7. Feb 6, 2008 #7 of 21
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    Yes you do. However, it's up to the station in question as to whether they use it that night or not. Last year, only the Braves home games on SportsSouth and FSN South were broadcast in HD. The away games were SD. Maybe it will change this year.

Every so often I'd luck out on a long running out-of-market game and get the HD AND SD feeds after the blackout lifted. Count on SD and consider it a nice surprise if the HD feed is active as well.

Here's my "dime store" EI setup;

AT200 + locals - My RSN (30043 zip code), WPCH (some Braves games for Atlanta area broadcast only), ESPN, ESPN2, Local Fox affliate, WGN (some Cubs and White Sox games)
    WWOR - $1.50 per month - Some Yankees games
    WPIX - $1.50 month - Some Mets games
    Multi Sports Pack - $5.99 month - varies every day - sometimes they goof-up and forget to blackout a game (pretty rare lately)

Hope this helps!

8. Feb 7, 2008 #8 of 21
    DanoP

DanoP Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    My guess is that most people want to watch their hometown team after they have moved out of market. I was with Dish last year and watching the ninth inning of my team wasn't adequate.....your dime store approach I don't think would cut it for most. I moved to D* because of EI and now I see E* has not treated the Center Ice subscriber well either.....another subscription I buy. No reason to stay with Dish if your a sports subscriber.

9. Feb 7, 2008 #9 of 21
    FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    You're both right. If you want to watch your team but don't want to/can't live in your home town, then you need Sunday Ticket and Extra Innings and all those other expensive sports packages.

But some folks just want to watch any old MLB game, and for us, the dime store package is a much cheaper alternative.

PS, Add TBS to that dime store channel list.

10. DanoP

DanoP Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    The nice thing about televised baseball is that it is very accessible if all you want to do is watch baseball. It is carried nationally by Fox, ESPN, WGN, TBS, and the local affiliate to your MLB team. And if you have your garden variety cable/satellite package it doesn't cost a cent.

11. mcss1985

mcss1985 Legend

Dec 5, 2007
    Wow apparently I'm in for a huge rude awakening! I've been planning on getting E* for months now with the main reason being that I would get my OM RSN which would give my SNY so I could watch every Mets game. And I thought the only one that would be blacked out would be the Nationally televised games (espn, fox, etc.).
    As I've been reading that appartenly isn't the case.
    As I understand every single game on SNY will be blacked out to me for the first 3 hours of the game!?!
    If this is true, aside from watching the ends of games late at night, why would anyone want OM RSN.

Also how many game does WPIX carry (i assume in SD only?) and how can I get that, just tell a CSR and it will be added for $1.50?

12. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005

WPIX carries about 25 Mets game and the games will all be in HD this season.
    Unfortunately, E* does not carry WPIX HD. I have WPIX HD here locally on Comcast and Verizon.

13. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    You have this backwards, SNY will be blacked out, National games on espn, fox and wpix will not be.

14. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    It beats not being able to watch any part of the games, which is where you are if you don't subscribe to the multi-sports pack.

And this might be heresy, but there are other sports than MLB. Here's what you get: http://www.carload.com/dishsports.htm

15. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    WPIX and WWOR show about 25 games each per season. SD only on Dish.

Yes, all you need to do is call a CSR and have them add one or both for $1.50 each per month.

The Multi Sports Pack (MSP) is not for everyone (only you can make that decision) and was never intended to be a cheaper priced "MLB EI, NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, ..." replacement. Nobody would order the higher-priced packages if the MSP provided all that programming for $5.99 per month.

It "would" be nice if MSP subscribers could select a couple of out-of-market RSNs for an additional fee per RSN per month. Anybody listening at Dish? We're talking about some extra revenue. Is there anybody out there? Just nod if you can here me ...

16. mcss1985

mcss1985 Legend

Dec 5, 2007
    are there any other channels you can choose to subscribe to individually besides WPIX and WWOR (btw didn't WWOR broadcast Mets not Yanks back in the day?) and if so where can I find them.

Also Michael I agree and will get the MSP for that reason, just wish you could choose your RSN for a fee like epokopac says, but hey what are ya gonna do.
    I understand why the RSN's are blacked out, my major complaint is this...

I know with InDemand and I think with D* (correct me if I'm wrong on D*) the EI games are not in HD. Therefore no matter how much money I'm willing to spend there is no way to watch all the games (of an OOM team) in HD. That's the real reason I wanted the RSN's not to be blacked out, so I could watch in HD

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm a nickle store guy. I might watch 5 a season.

18. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    The only other channel available via Dish that has any additional out-of-market baseball would be WGN which comes in the AT200 pack. Yes, at one time WPIX did Yankees games and WWOR did Mets games. Not sure what prompted the change.

19. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    $$$$$$$$$$

20. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002

Correct with D* EI games are not in HD. You have to subscribe to a separate package called Superfan. Last season there was at least 10 HD games per week. This year they are saying up to 40 HD games per week. Pretty much if there is an HD feed of a game. It will be shown if you have SF. Exception would be games aired OTA for the most part. D* DID carry the Channel 9 games in HD for the Yankees last year as well as a few HD games from CSN Philly. Padres games from Cox4 and Jays games from Rogers Sportsnet and CBC were also part of the package but in SD. Hopefully that will change for the coming season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.