1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB EI and Sports Pack

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mcrutland, Mar 16, 2010.

1. mcrutland

mcrutland Legend

Dec 29, 2004
    I live in Oxford, MS. Home territory to Braves, Reds, and Cardinals. When I run a zip code check for my RSNs, the site (D*'s) says I am eligible for Cardinals HD games if I subscribe to Sports Pack.

During last year's free preview of MLB EI, the HD Cardinals games were not available to me. It gave me a 721 message on the FSN Midwest feed on MLB EI.

Is this something common or will that remedy itself if I subscribe to MLB EI?

2. mutiger08

mutiger08 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    I actually joined the forums just to answer this question.

I just got DTV last week and that question has been bugging me. I sent an email or two to customer service and made a call or two and no one had a complete response except to try to sell me extra innings. Here is my situation. I live in Hannibal MO and my "home" teams according to MLB.com are the Cardinals and the Royals. DTV told me that FS Midwest would not allow me to get Royals games, and I was concerned if I wanted to watch Royals games and am technically in Royals territory how would getting EI be of value (since the games would be blacked out).

So after all of this I called FS Midwest and they confirmed what I thought, I should be getting the Cards on one channel and the Royals on an alternate. They told me if this didn't happen to call them back.

Personally I was a little annoyed the DTV couldnt answer this without trying to sell me on another package but I am happy it hopefully (won't know until opening day) worked out.

3. mcrutland

mcrutland Legend

Dec 29, 2004
    I can get Cardinals games on an FSN South Alternate channel. Bad PQ and no HD.

4. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    I had a situation similar to yours, it didnt enolve sports channels but to get my issue at the time resolved, I had to basically bitch and complain everyday till was contacted by a high end executive of directv. sure enought 2 weeks after talking to him he resolved my problem.

my guess to you, call and bitch till you get your answer. Have facts get a fax or document from FS midwest and submitt them to directv. maybe have both parties talk and get things situated.

bottom line call and bitch everyday till it does get resolved.

5. mutiger08

mutiger08 New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    From what I remember FSMidwest only broadcast 100 or so games in HD last season.

Also, and I have no idea about this but I remember when I lived in Columbia MO, the alternative (whether it be Cardinals or Royals) was never broadcast in HD. I don't know why but that was the way it was.

6. Unknown

Unknown Godfather

Oct 16, 2007
    For those of you with HD, like i have. FS North will broadcast every game they have on TV in HD. FYI. that road and home games.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    DirecTv has some strange rules. In Arkansas (Houston, Dallas, Kansas City, St Louis), you can only watch the Astros games on Fox Sports SW. Fox Sports Midwest is blacked out as all the RSNs are, except your one zip code selected RSN included in your base package. So, I subscribe to MLBEI, and the CARDINALS are blacked out on MLBEI, BUT, they are no longer blacked out on Fox Sports Midwest on the actual RSN channel. Talk about confusing the crap out of a person.

8. gib4500

gib4500 AllStar

Apr 11, 2004
    Where i live i can get the reds and indians. In order to get the pirate and penguin games though i must get the sports pack. Even if i were to get extra innings i still would not be able to watch the pirates unless i had the sports pack.

9. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    gib you mean the sports pack thats or mlb extra innings sports subscription.

10. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
  11. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    So do they or don't they open up the RSN's like they do for NHL Center Ice? If I purchase the Sports Pack I would get the Pirate games. If I don't purchase the Sports Pack but do purchase MLB Extra Innings, will I get the Pirate games?

12. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
  13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you do not have MLBEI, all except your basic subscription RSNs are blacked out (By DirecTv to get you to buy EI, not by MLB)
    If you DO have MLBEI, the RSNs are open, except those that are blacked out (by MLB)

If you check, Premier subscribers get two RSNs I believe (home team RSNs, not sports pak). If you have sport pak AND MLBEI, the second RSN hasnt been blacked out (although the same game on EI is) up to now. Whether that changes, is another story.

Thats the problem I have with being unable to cancel a sports subscription after the season starts. You wont know if your zip code is blacked out for sure, until after the season starts.

14. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Not sure if we are on the same page or not. I have Choice Xtra and my local RSN's include Nationals and Orioles. If I subscribe to the Sports Pack I will also get Pirates. I currently subscribe to MLB Extra Innings but not Sports Pack. Does that mean I won't get the Pirate games because I don't subscribe to the Sports Pack?

I guess I'm wondering if this works the same as the NHL. I currently get the Capitals with my local RSN and since I also subscribe to NHL Center Ice I can watch the Penguin games on FSN Pittsburgh when the game is on. All other times 659 says not subscribed because I don't have the sports pack. With Center Ice, the RSN's are opened when a game is on. Does it work the same with MLB?

15. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    The sports packs are mostly just RSN remaps.

16. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    can you call fsn midwest and some how get directv and you on 1 conference call

17. mcrutland

mcrutland Legend

Dec 29, 2004
    Will try that if I need to. Thanks for all the advice!

18. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
  19. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Sometimes I think people forget the blackout maps is for the out of market sports package. If you live IN the market, you get all those games in your RSN WITHOUT an out-of-market package.

It's your own fault if you buy mlb.tv and then get pissed off that your local team is blacked out considering you already get the games.

Am I nuts?

20. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Getting Sports Pack will open up your TV
    viewing to Ll clubs in your area; in case of Des Moines, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Royals, Brewers and Cardinals (sweet!). However, those games will be blacked out on MLBEI, and on MLB.TV, for some weird reason.