1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB EI, YES and SNY

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jdoug, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdoug

jdoug Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    Am I right to assume that if I get MLB EI and the "Sports Package" that the Yankees and Mets games will still be blacked out on YES and SNY?

2. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    MLBEI will use YES and SNY feeds for Yankees and Mets home games, and for those road games where the home team's RSN feed is not available (Toronto, Philadelphia, and San Diego). When the Yankees or Mets are on the road, and the home team's RSN is showing the game, typically the YES or SNY feed will be blacked out.

3. jdoug

jdoug Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    What if YES is showing the game in HD, but EI is not? Will I still get the HD feed?

4. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    Just "move" to NYC, problem solved... :)

5. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    you won't get the HD version of any RSN except your own (they are on spot beam sats). the only exception would be if they throw a game up on 93/95/97/98 as a special event for EI subs.

6. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I couldn't believe it, but I actually got to see a live--not taped--Yankees preseason game on YES :hurah: I had never had that happen before :eek2: It was so nice :sunsmile: :heart:

7. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    with sportspack you can see all preseason games.... don't get too fond of YES because come april 1 you'll be blacked out.

8. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Not true. I have gotten some of the preseason, and other's I haven't. I still haven't figured out the rhyme or reason.

9. byron

byron Icon

Nov 15, 2004
    odd, i've never been blacked out of any preseason games (basketball, hockey, baseball, cricket, etc...) on outside RSNs (i have sportspack too). don't fight it... D* is just trying to protect you from yourself, you're better off not watching the yankees anyhow. ;)

10. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Only in the NY DMA.

11. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Now if it was only in HD, that would have been even nicer!

12. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Is anyone else irritated that SNY has taken giant leaps ahead of YES. Most of their in studio programming is in HD widescreen. Yes is still in black pillars plus they add their own blue pillars (because of the crawl) which makes the picture even smaller. I'm really disappointed in YES.

13. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    Can anyone comment on the picture quality of YES in HD? I'm getting my HR20 installed next week, just in time for opening day. YES in SD is terrible - the picture often looks blurry.

14. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Yankees games on YES HD have great picture quality. Unfortuneately, there haven't been any preseason games in HD as of yet.

15. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Why would they waste resources broadcasting PRESEASON Baseball in HD? These games don't count, remember folks?

And if the Nets are playing at the same time as a Yankee preseason game, the Yankee game will be bumped from the main YES channel. Check your Guide for an alternate channel for the Yankee game. The Nets are playing for a playoff spot and the Yankees haven't officially begun that quest yet.

16. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Good point. I'm not interested in the highlight shows as much, as there's already ESPN/ESPN 2 HD but I really like to see Yankeeography, Centerstage, and the Yankee Magazine shows in HD..and of course some those Yankee Classic games.

17. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Using that rationale; nothing on TV should be in HD since everything but the news is not real; and even thats debateable.

So, if there's entertainment on TV; wheather its preseason or not, to me; it should be in HD.

18. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Practice, my friend, practice. Preseason games are as necessary for the broadcast crews as they are for the players. Working with the equipment you're going to use all season lets you get into your rhythms before opening day.

19. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I love it !rolling I have read that Yes is going HD :) Not that it helps me because I don't have HD TVs :( But YES had never shown me any Yankee games other than those on tape delay which I already knew the scores of until yesterday :confused: Not that I'm upset about getting to see a live game--far from it--I loved it :heart: :sunsmile:

20. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I'm not debating that Spring training is necessary, but do you want Derek Jeter playing 9 full innings on March 16th? If you're team is 9 games back the last week of Sept. will you take solace in the fact that you were like 12-8 in Spring training?

Spring training is what it is, tune up for your starters, audition for positions where the starter isn't a given, finding your bench players, and sorting out your starting pitching rotation, as well as long relievers and closers. Contrary to that YES commercial, the quest starts in April, not March.

Yes, Vinny, it's entertainment and it's also a business. The mobile HD truck roll is expensive, which is why you don't see it for West Coast games. I believe YES doesn't feel at this time it's a priority to roll that truck down the Coast in March for a few Yankee preseason games when it's needed for Nets games.

The comparison to broadcast HD doesn't stand because those are usually filmed in a studio or on a studio lot where the HD equipment is also stored, not in a remote location, which is why "Survivor" hasn't been HD.

There are rumors that all Yankee games, both home and away, will be HD this year. I don't see anyone who has provided an official announcement, but if it doesn't happen this Season, it'll probably happen next year. As the price of HD equipment drops, I'm sure they'll be more HD available. I just don't believe preseason games will be high on any teams lists. That's money better spent on other things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.