1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB Network

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by STL FAN, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1 of 127
    STL FAN

STL FAN AllStar

Oct 2, 2004
    I'm guessing I will never see MLB Network on Dish Network? That really sucks. Let me know if I may have missed something, but I doubt it.

2. Dec 17, 2008 #2 of 127
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Never is a long time but yes, MLB Network is not expected to be added.

It would be a pleasant addition ... although what are they showing all winter?

3. Dec 18, 2008 #3 of 127
    STL FAN

STL FAN AllStar

Oct 2, 2004
    They've announced a lineup of all types of different specialty shows, Top 10 countdowns, hot stove, etc. Anything is better than nothing. Seems like a great channel to have on in the morning, home from work, etc. Or it would if I could get it (stuck with Dish for my condo living!!!)

4. Dec 18, 2008 #4 of 127
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    You have guessed correctly! No MLB Channel on Dish on 1-1-09.

The earliest you'll see MLB EI and/or the MLB Channel on Dish is 2014 (maybe). That is when the exclusive 700 million, seven-year agreement (2007 thru 2013) that MLB, Direct TV and InDemand have expires.

From Raymie (in Arizona):

"What happened with MLB EI:

Dish couldn't just get the package (EI) for X dollars (from MLB). They also had to take a stake in the MLB Channel.

Dish didn't want the latter (MLB Channel), so they couldn't get the former (MLB EI)by extension." :(

5. Dec 19, 2008 #5 of 127
    BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I could care less about MLB channel, but was MLB really stupid enough to give exclusive rights to Direct? I've always said the only thing dumber than a baseball player was the owner willing to pay him $100 million. If the owners locked themselves into an exclusive deal on this channel that would shutout not only Dish customers but cable TV customers too, then I've underestimated their stupidity.

6. Dec 19, 2008 #6 of 127
    DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Direct does not have exclusive rights to MLB. FiOS and many other cable companies are going to carry the MLB Network on the first of January this year as they too currently carry EI.

The only sports package that Direct has exclusive rights to is ST.

7. Dec 19, 2008 #7 of 127
    DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    They will be showing a lot of classic games. Plus there are a lot of trades and rumor coverage.

I actually listen to MLB Homeplate on XM more during the winter than I do during the summer for these same reasons.

8. Dec 19, 2008 #8 of 127
    dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    Here is part of an article on mlb.com...
    http://mlb.mlb.com/network/about/press/

"We will be complementary to the way fans watch their local team," Petitti said. "If you watch the Red Sox or Yankees on your local network, for example, we provide the national perspective. Every game has ebbs and flows. We're always going to be there."
    It will exceed any other cable TV launch by approximately 20 million homes. It will be distributed across 43 cable and satellite systems on expanded digital basic cable or the equivalent. It will be available on major systems, including Comcast, Cox, Direct TV, Time Warner, Charter, Cablevision and Verizon FiOS. As of Dec. 1, there were 43 multiple system operators carrying the MLB Network. "If you have digital cable," Petitti said, "you're going to get the Network."

9. Mar 2, 2009 #9 of 127
    STL FAN

STL FAN AllStar

Oct 2, 2004
    I hate to bump threads, that may have already been answered, but is it speculation that Dish wont carry MLB, or is it fact that it will not be available in 2014? I'm just real angry about this because I'm stuck in a building where Dish is my only provider. I'm just seeing if it is worth it to complain to Dish on a weekly basis, or if there are others out there like me who can help beg for this channel!

P.S. I thought I read that they can still negotiate with MLB, even without picking up Extra Innings. And how do they not have Extra Innings, after carrying it for a couple of years???

Done venting, please help if you have any answers!!!!

10. Mar 2, 2009 #10 of 127
    CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    No one knows for sure. It certainly doesn't hurt to bug them about it constantly. You should keep it up. Most of us are speculating that it won't happen any time in the near future (who knows about 2014, that is too far to speculate) because DirecTV owns part of MLB Network and Charlie won't want to pay his competitor. Additionally, he clearly doesn't get along with MLB too well, and sports isn't Dish's strong suit. They've clearly left the sports-fanatic market to DirecTV and are concentrating on other markets.

Again, no one can really help you because no one knows for sure. But, the speculation is likely correct.

As for MLB EI: Dish apparently didn't want to pass that large increase in price on to consumers. Instead they tell their people to buy MLB.com (I think it's about a hundred bucks a year).

11. Mar 2, 2009 #11 of 127
    carl.066

carl.066 Mentor

Jul 24, 2008
    No answers, just comments. Negative comments about Dish, their service and programming content just keep on coming. MLB is a great channel, especially in the off-season. Lots of interesting programs for the baseball enthusiast. Now that spring trianing has begun, there are up to three games on each day. It's a great add-on to EI, which I feel is well worth the money (unlike ST).

12. Mar 2, 2009 #12 of 127
    Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat AllStar

Jan 8, 2003
    I have complained until I'm blue in the face..

It would cost me around $500 total with penalties and then new equipment from D* to get MLB Channel..

I'm not a happy camper with E* right now

13. Mar 2, 2009 #13 of 127
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    I believe penalties are calculated at $240 over 24 months. Subtract $10 for each month you've honored your commitment. How did you arrive at $500? Also, can't you get a really good deal by subscribing to DirecTV as a new sub?

14. Mar 3, 2009 #14 of 127
    STL FAN

STL FAN AllStar

Oct 2, 2004
    I'm glad to see a few more people as angry as me, I'd really like to see how many people are as angry as me though! It would be nice to know if enough people actually complained, they'd bend. I'm sure for one channel, Charlie doesnt care one bit, but for me, if I COULD switch, I would have already. I hate that I'm stuck in a monopoly. Let me know where the good places to complain to are. I've been sending stuff to ceo@echostar.com; but keep getting what look like form letters back. Is there somewhere else, that I could actually get someone at Dish who makes decisions to tell me whats going there?

And C'MON PEOPLE, LETS FIGHT FOR BASEBALL!! :hurah:

15. Mar 3, 2009 #15 of 127
    Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat AllStar

Jan 8, 2003
    I still owe about $200 on my current contract and I calculated a new setup from D* that included 3 HD DVR's and a standard receiver and it came up around $260 for that..

16. Mar 3, 2009 #16 of 127
    Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat AllStar

Jan 8, 2003
    I have been fighting for it.. I send e-mails to that link all of the time requesting it

17. Mar 3, 2009 #17 of 127
    STL FAN

STL FAN AllStar

Oct 2, 2004
    Well we got Missouri covered! Wheres the other 49? You cant be a Royals fan?

18. Mar 3, 2009 #18 of 127
    TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    So you've only been a Dish sub for four months?

19. Mar 4, 2009 #19 of 127
    jbrooks987

jbrooks987 AllStar

Jun 5, 2004
    I can be a Royals fan (and I am) - but I am not a "baseball junkie". I can get the Royals games on FSN. What more would I need?

20. Mar 4, 2009 #20 of 127
    DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    Royals are my sleeper team this year for the AL. They are going to surprise a lot of people.

BTW, I picked Detroit to be the sleeper when they won the AL Pennant and TB to be my sleeper team last year.

As a Dodger fan I hate to say this, but I am picking the Giants to be my sleeper team for the NL this year.

Off topic, but at least it is baseball.