1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MLB takes blackouts to a new level

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sonofjay, May 16, 2009.

1. sonofjay

sonofjay Legend

Aug 29, 2006
    http://www.multichannel.com/article/232632-MLB_Granted_Patent_For_Internet_Blackout_System.php

Has anyone ever had the ip geo-location work reliability? I know it hasn't more than 50% of the time in my case. Even today, went Applebees website and it put "my applebees" about 40 miles from my location. It was also a different DMA for that matter, which compared to MLB "markets" is a simple thing to understand. And here we thought MLB couldn't make blackouts any more convoluted. MLB is slowly going to manage itself to extinction.

2. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    I never thought that. Not at all. :)

(Looks like they are thinking about some form of Extra Innings for Mobile devices.)

3. Jaspear

Jaspear Godfather

May 16, 2004
    Yeah! So if you're traveling and have the game on in the vehicle and you cross over into a restricted territory, you lose the game in the middle of the seventh inning. I like it. This should bring in more fans! Maybe Fox could get in on this deal so nobody with a mobile device could watch on Saturday before 4:00 PM Eastern. Even in Australia or Mongolia.:rolleyes::):lol:

4. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    Here is an idea. Let's create a baseball package called MLB Extra Innings. Put all the games on there but but black games out yeah REAL good way to get fans interested into the sport. MLB gets an "F" and the fans should band together and refuse to go to anymore games. I'm just about FED up with the way baseball operates.

5. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    I can understand why MLB wants to protect the local teams. But their definition of "local" is a farce.

What they need to do is change the definition of "territory" since it's asinine that someone in Montana is blacked out from the Mariners or the Rockies. It's not like that's going to convince many of them to drive out and go see the game.

6. homebase

homebase Legend

Sep 4, 2007
    Sounds like there still is a way around all this...Would it be possible to connect to a VPN server/concentrator in a different city across the country, then login to MLB to watch the game in that same locale?

7. sonofjay

sonofjay Legend

Aug 29, 2006
    VPN or proxying through another server would likely make it difficult to maintain constant stream of the live content. Although in theory yes, it is possible.

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    As much as I love the game, I'm done with big-league baseball. I'll watch a college game now and then, but I haven't been to a Braves' game in years and have not watched a MLB game this year, and I'm through chasing the Braves all over the 'dial' year after year.

Don't know whether to be mad :mad: or just sad. :(

:shrug:

9. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

Same feeling here. Consideringly how incredibly compensated all members of all pro sports teams are it ia amazing that they are still trying to squeeze the fan out of his last dime these days, especially during these hard times.
    The greed of these pro sports organizations is never ending.

I am all but done with all pro sports as well. I might occasionally watch a playoff NHL game or a few college games, but that it.

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    will they do the same carp for people if they have a rv with direct tv or a sat-go out of area no RSN. Must have a phone line or network hook up to view your own team at home?

11. teebeebee1

teebeebee1 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    You guys are old :)

If MLB ever changes their blackout restrictions to more resemble NBA/NHL type, the MLB patent will easily allow that change, right now they got a patent for developing a great system to enforce the current blackout policies.

12. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    There are a lot of proxy services out there that will defeat their system without batting an eye. Don't see how they're going to get anything but heartache when it get implemented...other than seeing a HUGE influx of people apparently logging in from China.....

13. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Why would fans in their teams home market and/or go to games care about Extra Innings being blacked out to those who don't?

14. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Well, some teams claim areas that don't have an MLB team: Example: A friend of mine lives in Arkansas. He's a Padre fan so he bought the MLB.TV package. So, the Padres are playing Houston and he's blacked out. Why? That's because Houston claimed Arkansas as their territory, even though he has NO option to view Houston's games where he lives.

15. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    I'm confused by the above quote. If he lives in Arkansas, and has an appropriate D* package, his Regional Sports Network is FS Southwest, which shows all the Astros/Rangers games. That would give him an option.

16. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    To me the blackout rules are stupid. People move from their hometown to other states for colleges, work and various reasons and should be able to watch their favorite teams, not be dictated by the league of who they can watch due to geographical locations! And please, spare me the notion that they want people to go to support the local team, if I wanted to do that I wouldn't be a fan of another team, plus blacking a game out is not going to make me want to go buy a ticket and attend that game any more than staying at home to watch. Especially if the team sucks that year!

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    how about people in AK and HI do they get all the games with all dual feeds with MLB EI?

18. schlar01

schlar01 Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I'm pretty f-ing sick of it. I've paid over $400 the last two seasons to get the MLB EI package just to see the Twins and I can't even watch them today at NOON because Fox is broadcasting at 3PM. WTF you f-ing morons. You have to be real stupid to black your paying customers out even when it isn't conflicting with the national game.

MLB continues to prove each and every day why the really suck as a business and as a group of moronic owners.

A few years ago I had MLB.tv and I had to fake my IP all the time, because the straight up MORONS at the MLB office required you to have a land line. I have only a cell phone, which they didn't tell you was bad when you signed up, so I'd have to write my IP address down, then drive to work, call the MLB fools, and get authorized to watch Twins games. I'd have to do this every time my IP reset. Dumbest system in the history of time. I live in La Crosse and they tried to give me a bunch of grief about how I could be faking my address...........MORONS, I'd be more than happy to get the games for FREE if I actually lived in Minnesota. Why in the world would I PAY for games by faking my address when, in fact, I lived in the home market, AND GOT THEM FOR FREE ALREADY.

DirecTV, MLB, etc really are the dumbest bunch of morons ever.

19. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    That is ONLY if Houston is showing the game. If it is only on the Padre's network he is screwed. I live in Memphis and The Reds, Braves and Cardinals all claim us as Home teams. Does MLB really think I am gonna catch a plane after work to go to a Reds game. As it is I can watch on 661 when they play on the Reds network and this cost about 10.00 a month. IF the Reds were not my home team I would buy the MLB ticket and spend about 100.00 or so more a year to watch them. IMO MLB is costing themselves millions of dollars by their very stupid territory rules. Make them realistic and that way both the fans and the owners would be happy. I would gladly pay the extra each year to get this package, but why would anyone pay out that much money only to have the one team they want to watch blacked out. How stupid are these people.

20. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I don't know if my situation is uncommon or not, but geolocating services always miss my location by about 100 miles. What if that IP were to be in a different MLB territory? Would I be screwed out of my home team?

This whole blackout scheme is a mess.