Mobile DVR + GenieGo and windows

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by steveymacjr, Jul 23, 2016.

1. steveymacjr

steveymacjr Member

Feb 20, 2016
    has anyone with Mobile DVR access been able to use it and a GenieGO at the same time? I'm getting the message the Mobile DVR is now available in my area(NC) and that activating it will deactivate my GenieGO. This is all well and good, but the problem I have is I can't find anyway to use Mobile DVR on Windows, there is at least a GenieGO app for Windows(Mac as well). Can I use both? Does the GenieGo app on Windows work with the Mobile DVR service? I need to know these things before I activate it..

1 person likes this.
  2. jceman

jceman Legend

Aug 20, 2007
    North of...
    Mobile DVR is the new name for GenieGo.
    Same app.

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  4. prushing

prushing Active Member

Feb 14, 2007
    There is no reason to activate the mobile DVR if you already have a GG, you will be losing functionality

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

5. steveymacjr

steveymacjr Member

Feb 20, 2016
    ok, so after chatting with a very knowledgeable Directv rep via the website chat, I was told I can use the same GenieGO windows/mac app with the new on Genie "Mobile DVR" service. after unplugging the GenieGO i started the GG application on my PC and low and behold it popped up a message box that i have the new on Genie "Mobile DVR" service and after clicking OK I would be able to use the app just like before, and it worked! Immediately after registering with the service a box popped up letting me know my software had to be updated... everything has been working smoothly ever since!

Directv needs to do a better job with their mobile apps though, I had to uninstall/reinstall them to get it to work. Out of home works great too, i didn't need to update my router or anything!

I went and activated the new Mobile DVR service because I got tired of the daily nagging on my Mobile app telling me it was now available!

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    How many DVRs do you have? The MobileDVR only transcodes shows from your Genie. If you have other DVRs in your system, you'll need to change any recordings to your Genie if you want to view them using mobiledvr. If you just have a Genie, no issues.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    MDVR from the internal Genie product is also noticeably slower at transcoding vs GG2.

8. ApK

ApK Icon

Mar 6, 2006
    Since I rarely transcode/download and am more interested in streaming from my playlist, and since I only have the one HR44 DVR, it seems that I would not be losing any features using MobileDVR rather than the GenieGo.

But hopefully I will gain one very important feature: Maybe MobileDVR will actually work! Which my GenieGo almost never does!
    It would be a joy to unplug that sucker.

But here in NJ, I have not seen any notification or messages about MobileDVR, except that it's now called that in the mobiel app.
    Has it just not goten to me, or do I need to do somethng special to activate it on my system? Like do I need to disconnect the GG first?

thx,
    ApK

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Since there seemed to be a fair number of problems with the GenieGo, it might be a pipedream to have a reliable Mobile DVR.

10. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I noticed this morning that the iPad app is inserting ads that cannot be ff or skipped when streaming from the playlist.

The program was a TBS on-demand 'Samantha Bee' but the ads are not in the playlist recording.

A new 'Feature'.

11. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    You were able to watch an on-demand recording from your Genie with mobile DVR? They are supposed to not be available, which is what happens to me.

12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Some are, some not. I haven't figured it out. This one definitely inserted ads that weren't in the playlist version.

13. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Please explain what to do for PC. Use the Genie Go app? So far I am unable to find my dvr when away on another network. I have made corrections at home including putting the HR44 in the dmz. Have not retested. HR44 now static IP via ethernet also, again dmz'd the HR44 on router. Will next test be a success?

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    So you wanted to stream a recording, but instead the app switched you to an on-demand of the same show? :nono2:

15. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Yep, just checked it again and the logo is TBS on demand -- and no ads today!

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Well that's good, if that's the way it will be all the time.

Otherwise, I guess you'd have to download the show to your device, if you wanted to skip through ads?

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    And that continues to be a pain with no 30 skip.

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Curious. If you watch that same on demand on the Genie, any ads?

19. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Houston, TX
    My problem solved for Windows. Downloaded BlueStacks to use android tablet app for Directv mobile. Flawless. Away from home stream from dvr works. Directv tech support said you cannot stream from dvr without a HR54...such informed people.

20. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Nope, not on either the Dem or Rep convention show she had.