1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Moby Dick" - an original two part mini-series begins Monday on Encore

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jul 31, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    On Monday, Encore is premiering "Moby Dick", a two part miniseries starring William Hurt, Ethan Hawke, Gillian Anderson, and Donald Sutherland. For more information check the web site.

2. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Set to record, thanks.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Set it up, thanks. No indication in the guide that it is two part, the second half airs Tues 8:00 PM

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    It is about frickin' time. Ever since I saw that Tom and Jerry "Dicky Moe" episode as a kid, I have wanted to see the whole thing. I have heard nothing but great things about the book version as well.

Can't wait, thanks phrelin!

5. Aug 3, 2011 #5 of 19
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    I am a huge fan of the 1956 version with Gregory Peck. I think this was the best work in his distinguished career.

I've recorded the Encore version but haven't watched it yet. Is the Encore production worth watching in comparison?

6. Aug 3, 2011 #6 of 19
    pablo

pablo Icon

Oct 11, 2007
    Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but I started the first part but deleted it after about 20 minutes.

7. Aug 3, 2011 #7 of 19
    Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Recorded the first and since they didn't have the description set up very well the DVR didn't catch the second. I know I had it set to record it once but I think since it recorded part 1 it thought part two was just a repeat of 1.

8. Aug 7, 2011 #8 of 19
    makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Nobody's watched the new Encore version?

The 1956 Gregory Peck version will be shown on Turner Classic (256 on DIRECTV) on Monday 8/8/11 at 9:30 am EDT.

9. Aug 7, 2011 #9 of 19
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Encore viewer here. There's a old saying, "If it's not broken then don't fix it." Well Encore fixed it. In my opinion a good cast was put to waste with a dull remake of a classic film and novel. While authenticity with sets, props, costumes, and use of CGI were excellent this version pales in comparison with the 1956 classic.

10. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Thanks, MysteryMan. You just confirmed my fears.

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I tried to watch the Encore version but it was all too familiar. It had a modern dialog when I wanted sea shanties. I couldn't handle more than 15 minutes of the dribble.

Agreed the John Houston version is a classic but you know what version was also excellent? The 1998 three-part mini-series. Patrick Stewert was perfect as Ahab and Gregory Peck even had a role as the Preacher, played by Orson Welles in the 1956 version. I think the feel of the mini-series was better than the older version. John Houston later regretted using all the filters on the sea scenes, giving the movie a supernatural look, and I think the hokey effects detract from the movie. They certainly take me out of the story.

Too bad Stewart doesn't repeat Peck's death speech. If he had, we would have had Picard quoting Khan quoting Ahab. It would have been a classic moment in and of itself.

[​IMG]

12. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Huh???

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    :lol:......Ya gotta be a "Trekker" to understand. :)

14. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Excuse me, I'm a Trekkie...and proud of it. While others will disagree with me, I've always thought Trekkers were wusses too embarrassed to admit their fandom.

In Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan, there are three Moby Dick references. The first one is visual - Chekov sees a copy of Moby Dick on the bookshelf of the cargo container even before Khan is introduced.

The second is this speech by Khan. It is lifted almost word for word from a speech Gregory Peck gives in the 1956 version of Moby Dick. It's also in the book.

http://youtu.be/gsYT8YHL-R0

In the book it is, "I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" Gregory Peck's speech in the movie is edited a bit and essentially like Khan's.

The third is Khan's death. Again, Nicholas Meyer, the movie's screen writer and director, lifted a speech out of Melville when Khan quotes as he dies, "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"

Here it is in the 1956 movie at the end of a great action sequence, This is an 11 minute clip but well worth the watch:

http://youtu.be/ryIK9TLAoAs

This is the curse as delivered by Khan Noonien Singh:

http://youtu.be/VYPsoxpt0BU

No pansy-ass Trekker would know details like this! [​IMG]

15. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Trekkie/Trekker...both are die hard Star Trek fans. ;)

16. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Yeah, I better zip it up. I think my phaser is showing.
    [​IMG]

17. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    :lol:......Read my PM.

18. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I just saw that Encore is showing the Patrick Stewart version of Moby Dick tonight. It looks like they're showing the three part mini-series as two parts. This is rare. It is not available on domestic DVD and it hasn't been on TV for years.

I'm glad I just caught it will be on. Whoo-hoo! It starts in 15 minutes.

At least the Guide says that this will be the Patrick Stewart version. Let's see if it actually is. It would be very weird that Encore would play this version after just producing their own. The Guide has been wrong before.

19. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Damn it. False alarm. :mad: It is the John Hurt version they just made.

The Guide was wrong. Imagine that! :nono2: