1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Model 5000 Problem

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by sgt1205, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgt1205

sgt1205 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I've been a DISH subscriber since '96. I've resisited getting rid of my model 5000's because I love the internal TV tuner that integrates the with the program guide. Last year one of my 5000's started loosing several of the off air channels on the guide. I'd run check switch and it would re-appear for a short period then be gone again . When the new Smart Cards arrived and were activated it fixed the problem and have not had trouble since. Then this week my other 5000 started doing the same thing. I called DISH tech support and they don't have a clue as most there (reading their notebook on the phone) have never seen, used, heard of the model 5000. I plan an upgrade shortly, don't like that they require their own professional installation, as I've installed numerous systems over the years. BUT anyway, anyone have any idea what's up w/ the 5000's and a possible fix until then?

Thanks

2. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    My first receiver was a 5000 and I still have it although I don't have it activated. I actually use it as a RF modulator for my 811 and also backfeed a 510 into as well. The 5000 was one of Dish's great early receivers and I am glad I spent the extra over a model 4000.

One thing you may want to try is to pull out the Smart Card and then re-insert it. Of course do this with the receiver unplugged. Another thing that maybe happening is that some of the receiver's memory maybe failing since these units are fairly old. If you are using favorites you may want to try to simplify or eliminate them. You also may have a switch problem. You could swap the receivers and see if the problem occurs on the other one.

P.S. Welcome to DBSTalk

3. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    The soon to be obsolete 811 would probably be a good replacement for a 5000 if you don't want HD

4. sgt1205

sgt1205 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2006

I've resisted upgrading, even though I don't receive some of the new content. I've loved my 5000's. I contemplated going w/ a DVR, but I was told that due to the dvr's not having an internal TV tuner then I'd not be able to record anything "off air" to the HD. I refuse to pay $5.00/mo. for the same channels I get free ota.

Tried all the suggestions...still no luck....the only thing that fixed the unit downstairs several months ago was when the new Smart cards came in and were activated. I'm vitually at a stone wall with tech support.....no one there seems to even know or ever had experience w/ the 5000. Most of the time Tech support is about as helpful as asking my 5 year old son. How much can you explain to people when you are just reading off of cue cards. If you have a question outside of the cue cards then they are lost and just suggest buying a new receiver.

Thanks again

5. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Sgt1205,

You are correct all of the SD Dish DVR are NOT able to tune OTA signals. If you got a new Dish HD DVR receiver then you will be able to tune your Digital OTA stations though.

John

6. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    Yes but he would have to pay for locals just for guide data and HD size recordings if he recorded local OTA.

Not sure if you are aware but the 811 picks up local digital in addition to the analog so it would probably give you a better picture than the 5000. I think the 211 will require local subscription for the OTA guide to work and AFAIK it doesn't pick up analog.

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The 811 gets the OTA guide data for free for the digital stations.

Warning: See the Dealer Chat thread regarding a "HD fee" for those of us who have HD receivers without subbing to the HD pack.

8. sgt1205

sgt1205 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2006

IF I got the 811, then the HD Pak for $9.99/mo. is required....even if I don't have an HDTV monitor?

I almost ordered the 522 the other evening, until I was told that I MUST have professional installation that would cost and additional $99. I've been installing these units since I first signed on with them in the spring of 1996......back when you had to pay for a year up front and themodel 2000 was $199.00. Anyway....they just don't get it do they? I'm seriously contemplating just turning off my satellite and and signing up w/ our local cable company again. The monthly costs are no different at all now and with cable they don't charge me $5.00/mo. to get my locals.

My 5000 will get all the OTA channels when I run check switch or unplug the unit....but when all the channels are aquired it cuts our 3 of my UHF channels.....It's bugg'n me.

Thanks

9. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    Currently if you own the 811 you don't have to take the hd pack, if you lease you must take the hd pack. The 811 converts the hd to sd so you can still watch it.

10. sgt1205

sgt1205 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2006

What's the benefit, if any, to going ahead and getting one of the new VIP models...even if you don't have an HDTV monitor. Kinda planning for the future, need a new receiver, but don't have the $ for the monitor at this time........

11. wilme2

wilme2 Cool Member

Jul 14, 2005
    I have a 5000 as well, and while I am not using the OTA tuner, I DO have regular problems with "No Info" on the EPG... It does seem to be on the locals over sat - so maybe there is a problem with how they are updating the EPG. (Similar to the recent problems with the 811, which is my second receiver...)

12. sgt1205

sgt1205 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Now my other model 5000 has started exactly the same problem? This is weird.

13. sgt1205

sgt1205 Cool Member

Jan 16, 2006
    After many weeks of problems with my 5000 unit....and seeking a varity of solutions....to no avail. One day last week I turned on my units.....both of them....and shock.....they were ALL working again just fine.....all Sat. signals AND my local OTA were back as before. NO idea what happened but they are still working fine............very strange.

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Keep in mind, sometime next year analog OTA will go off the air forever.

So your 5000 will become obsolete.

I use a 921 with an analog TV. Fantastic picture on the digital OTA stations. YYMV of course, your local stations have to be on the air with their digital signals. Some are on the air but in low power. One of my Digital locals, only 3.5 miles from here is hard to receive - they are using only 1 kw on a 99' tower.

15. JohnL

JohnL Icon

Apr 1, 2002
    Michael,

The Analog spectrum is not going to given back until February 2009 at the earliest.

Even that date might not happen. Why a technicality in the legislation it was included in. For Some reason the resolved Bill's language was not the same in the House and Senate versions. Until that is resolved, voted on and sign by the president that date is in Limbo.

Fighting has broken out about other provisions in the Bill and President Bush has theatened to veto it as well.

John

16. Kagato

Kagato Godfather

Jul 1, 2002
    It's too bad about the 5000. While it's pretty much useless for most HD now days, it still outputs all the SD channels at 480P ATSC channel 3. Which you can connect to an HD OTA tuner card to make perfect recording of DISH SD channels.

17. tafische

tafische AllStar

Jan 29, 2004
    Sure miss my 5000. It took a strike several years ago. My favorite part of the 5000 was I could pump my DVD player into the input and play it throughout the house. In my opinion it was one of the best IRDs they ever made.

18. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    I have a 5000 in my basement collecting dust. I will let it go for free.

19. tafische

tafische AllStar

Jan 29, 2004
    I will PM you...thx!

20. rasthan

rasthan Mentor

Apr 30, 2006
    We lease a 811 and 510. When I was activiating the 811, the Dish CSR said it was required for me to take the HD Pack, but I told her the previous CSR who sent me the receiver said I would not have to take it. I also told her it was a replacement for a 5000 which they don't sell anymore and I don't own a HDTV. So, I still don't pay any HD fees after almost 2 years.

So maybe its not *really* required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.