1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modern Family on USA- Set First Run or Repeats?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by philherz, Nov 23, 2013.

1. philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this, but I've been recording first run Modern Family on ABC for a couple years.

If I set to record these on USA and I set it to record First Run, is that episodes that are first run on USA or first run "ever?" (Only ABC shows 'real" first run episodes!)

thnx

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I'd probably just set I to both and be done with it. Not sure how try will denote it in the guide to be honest.

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Hard to tell, since the To Do List populates at it's own pace, rather than immediately after a record request is scheduled, like with TiVo. E.g., I just created a Modern Family SL for "First Run" while on the 8PM ET Tuesday USA showing, and when I select "Other Showings", that's the only episode scheduled to record. If I modify that SL to "All" showings, no "Other Showing" episodes at all are showing as scheduled to record! I did check and that 8PM episode is still listed in the TDL.

I changed it back to "First Run", just to see what happens Tuesday night. There are about 5-6 episodes scheduled to air back to back.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    It's syndication, they won't be listed as "First Run" so you're better off choosing "Both".

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It's an hour later, and I just re-checked the Series Manager. All 13 upcoming USAHD episodes are now scheduled to record, so it looks like USA may be flagging them as "First Run" on their network.

That said, I wouldn't count on this happening all the time.

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Indeed. I wouldn't count on it happening, or not happening, for re-runs or first run imports.

7. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    I've never really looked but it could be that stations don't flag shows either way if its in syndication.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    That's another explanation that fits the facts. I don't have access to the full metadata for that show, but as you can see below, there's nothing in the available info to show First Run or Repeat, besides first air date (not shown in that photo).

Attached Files:

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    How did the First Aired date and Channel get hidden, Steve?

IAE, my "First Run" series is "The Wow Factor" at 8 PM on Tuesday 11/26. It has a first aired date of 3/27/2013.
    "The Future Dunphys" is shown here at 5 PM and has an OAD of 4/03.

It's generally true that when a channel like USA gets a series new to it that has run elsewhere in the US, they tell TMS to tag them as First Run. Or TMS does it on their own.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    They're there. They just scrolled off the screen. That's from the 4:3 display I still use in my office.

That would imply that after they premiere on USA, those episodes will be tagged as repeats in the future. As a test, I just set a First Run SL for NCIS on USA. Those old episodes have aired several times. Curious to see what happens.

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    There's some beauty in being tagged first run when they're being shown in syndication on a new network/channel. That is, if the repeats are tagged as such....And the OAD should be shown for what that actually means, too.

12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Agree.

13. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Just checked, and the 8PM NCIS re-run I chose to set the SL recorded, but it's over an hour later and none of the other 47 upcoming re-runs (including one airing right now) are scheduled to record, so it looks like they may be flagged differently than the Modern Family episodes Tuesday nights.

14. philherz

philherz Legend

May 3, 2008
    Thanks to everyone's input! I guess I'll stick with "Both."

I'll just have to watch so that I don't end up with duplicates and triplicates....

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    You won't. It will never record something that's already recorded unless you tell it to.

Now if it's after you delete it..... It won't re record it for at least 30 days.

I'd suggest leaving ten on and not deleting if you could and have the space.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    That presupposes the episodes are correctly tagged, though.

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    28, hence the name "28 day rule".

18. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    That presupposes the episodes are correctly tagged, though.

Yeah but not by repeat flag but simply episode number. Or whatever they call it.

19. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Wonder why 28? why not 25 or 29 for that matter.....

20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It's four weeks. It's the number of days in the average menstrual cycle. It's how the moon rolls. It's twice the days of the Guide data, at least where it is or was 14 days. It's 2x7x2, a magical Druidical formula. It's the minimum number of days in every month.....