1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom Jailed For Kids’ Truancy

Discussion in 'The OT' started by fluffybear, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Oct 3, 2012 #1 of 21
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    From KMPH:

2. Oct 3, 2012 #2 of 21
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Government-run schools means your kids attend or you go to jail.

3. Oct 3, 2012 #3 of 21
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Gee, I wonder what the parents do for a living...... any money on.... NOTHING?

4. Oct 3, 2012 #4 of 21
    kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    You can't ALWAYS blame the parents. When I was a teenager, I HATED school, and did NOT want to go. I mainly didn't go. My parents weren't around 24/7, they worked, they had a life (Our NEEDS were met before their life/enjoyment, but they still had a life). They always attempted to make me go to school, but you're NOT going to FORCE a teenager to go to school if they REALLY don't want to. I was punished-no Tv, no computer, no video games. It didn't work-I still skipped school. The ONLY way they could have MADE me attend school would be to physically drag me there (And it probably would have been considered abuse at that point), and actually stay there so I wouldn't leave. I know, I was a horrible kid lol

5. Oct 3, 2012 #5 of 21
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes, that's correct.

The idea of having parents held accountable will likely be met by some resistance, but honestly, it seems like very few people are held accountable for much of anything anymore....so this seems refreshing.

6. Oct 3, 2012 #6 of 21
    amh84

amh84 Mentor

Apr 19, 2010
    Rio Rico,...
    I have no sympathy for the parents, in that part of being a parent is being responsible for another human being and knowing what they are doing 24/7 so that they become a productive member of society.

With regard to schooling, certain ideologies place responsibility for educating our youth solely on teachers. A good portion of a child's education lies with the parents. Teachers can't be successful unless their is assistance at home reinforcing what is learned at school and providing structure. But kids also have to show up. In this instance, the parent ignored the warnings from the school. She got what was coming to her.

:soapbox:

7. Oct 3, 2012 #7 of 21
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Well, looks like FEMA may have found another use for their detention camps. :eek2:

8. Oct 3, 2012 #8 of 21
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Not the first time. Stories like this pop-up every so often.

9. Oct 3, 2012 #9 of 21
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'm fine with it. It's a chronic problem, and those aren't high schoolers either. I remember getting in trouble at school for not being there several days, had strep, and even with doctors note, for some reason they thought it suspicious as someone else basically had the same note. We were threatened with truancy then. So I wouldn't want it abused, but missing that many days, something has to happen.

Of course you also wonder if child services needs to get involved.

10. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Big difference between someone who may be 15 or 16 and someone who is 7 or 8 (as the children are in this story). At that age, you don't miss a lot of school without help from your parent.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Not sure exactly what the news is here... If you are under 16 then you have to go to school or your parents can be held liable. If you are 16/17 you can get a parent to sign for you to drop out... If you are 18 you can drop out on your own.

I don't necessarily like the law, but it is the law and has been for well before my lifetime... so I don't know why this would surprise anyone.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    These are Second & Third Graders, which should put at 7 and 8 years olds.

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wonder where the kids are now, foster care?

14. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I TOLD you I didn't go to school-what makes you think I can count?! lol j/k ;) Yeah, that is true. Most younger kids are much easier to deal with than teenagers. Missing 116 days, there's SOMETHING going on there that NEEDS to be dealt with.

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Makes sense. Hardened career criminals are being released early from their incarceration to make room for civil offenders. :sure:

16. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It has?? I'm sorry but this is the first time I have heard of a parent being jailed for their child not attending school not to mention California only implemented this law in 2011.

Had a law such as this existed when I was a kid, I know my parents (as well some others) would have done a couple of stints behind bars..

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm sure some applications of it have been in flux... but for my whole lifetime it has been a known thing that truancy is the responsibility of the parent (just like any number of other things)... and that while not mandatory, it could lead to the parent being jailed.

18. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    You are flat-out WRONG.

She could send her kids to private school.

She could home-school her kids.

You do not HAVE to go to "government-run" schools.

You *DO* have to go to school so we don't have to pay to feed your ignorant stupid existence for the rest of your life.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think what he meant was that if you enroll your child in a government run school, they must attend or there are consequences for the parent. Not that it is the only educational option.

20. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    If he did - he did a lousy job of saying it. Government-run schools mean just that - they are schools run by the government. Government-mandated EDUCATION means go to SOME kind of school (even home schooling) or someone is in violation of the law.