Mom vs. Bush

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Bogy, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 12, 2005 #1 of 216
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    NY Times Article
    Maureen Dowd Commentary
    I have two questions. Why does Bush keep insisting on shooting himself in the foot like this? Is it him, that he has that much problem dealing with people who don't agree with him, or his handlers, who don't dare to put him in uncomfortable positions? The simplest solution to this situation, which is getting national attention, is to just meet with her and express his concern. Or would doing that be way to close to admitting some kind of fallibility?

The other thing is, why couldn't he make the effort to know "Mom's" name when he did meet with her two months after her son's death? I am sympathetic to a point, as someone in a job that requires me to know people's names and recognize them personally. I have no innate skill in doing this. I am envious of others who can be introduced to a roomfull of people and repeat back everyone's name. I have been very impressed with my denomination's General Minister. Two or three years can go by between times I see him, for just a brief meeting, yet he always knows my name. I can't do it. I've tried lots of methods. Its hard work for me. But I know I have to do it, because I know that people don't think I care about them if I don't care enough to know their name. In meeting with a mother who had lost her son, I would make sure I knew her name. I might forget it right after I left, but I'd know her name while I was there. Why does he shoot himself in the foot, or why do his handlers let him do it, by not knowing a grieving mother's name? That is one of the things that endeared Clinton to people, he would be sure to know their name. He may not have known "that woman's" name on TV, but you can be sure he knew it was Monica when she was in the oval office. :lol:

2. Aug 12, 2005 #2 of 216
    Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I can't help wondering what this has to do with anything, what Bush meeting with her would solve, or why people think this is of import. I find the whole thing to be a lot of nonsense.

The woman has the right to her opinion and feelings, and Bush shouldn't waste his time meeting with everyone who demands it. It's all pointless.

3. Aug 12, 2005 #3 of 216
    Timco

Timco Woof! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 7, 2002
    My biggest issue in all this, is the way Drudge keeps trying to bring this woman down. It really is sicking.

4. Aug 12, 2005 #4 of 216
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    The woman lost her boy--I won't question how her grief manifests unless she physically harms someone. She has a right to her pain. But the President of the U.S. should no more stop and address her personally than he should anyone who demands to see him for their political cause, when we all know it will change nothing.

5. Aug 12, 2005 #5 of 216
    Dang The Hung

Dang The Hung Godfather

May 8, 2005
    I hate to say it, but this woman is really pathetic. It is a shame that her son paid the ultimate price and that she is sadden by her loss, but saying the president killed her son and demanding an apology for the president "murdering" her son? WTF?

Ms. Sheehan, your son voluntarily went into the armed services knowing that if the country went to a war or conflict that he could very well be killed. Tis no secret that if you serve in the military, you do have that chance of being killed if you are sent to a combat zone. Futhermore, Iraqi insurgents killed your son, not the president.

The president has in no way dishonored Ms. Sheehan's son. It is Ms. Sheehan's very own shenanigans that is dishonoring her son.

6. Aug 12, 2005 #6 of 216
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Look--she seems to be a nut and she seems to be doing a lot of things just for politics or for herself--MAYBE. But she still lost her kid. The real scum are those who exploit her for their own ends, be they the media or political organizations using her grief and her name.

7. Aug 12, 2005 #7 of 216
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Even her Family is telling her to stop it.

8. Aug 12, 2005 #8 of 216
    Timco

Jun 7, 2002
    I have not seen anything to indicate that. Do you have a link?

9. Aug 12, 2005 #9 of 216
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
  10. Aug 12, 2005 #10 of 216
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I many times wonder what threads started by conservatives have to do with anything.

Waste his time? He's on vacation. He can't take 20 minutes out of brush cutting to have tea with her?

11. Aug 12, 2005 #11 of 216
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    What a great cover the volunteer military gives the president. Members of the military have volunteered to possibly die, so if you get sent off to an unnecessary war and die, your family have no one but you to blame. And to be patriotic and "honor your child" you must never offer a discouraging word about their death. It was all for a glorious, noble cause. We don't want to think that over 1800 hundred Americans have died a meaningless death. That would make us all co-murderers.

12. Aug 12, 2005 #12 of 216
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I think I understand what you are saying, but the rationalization that everytime someone does something we don't agree with they are doing it for self-promotion, or they are being used by others with no mind of their own, is very patronizing. Cindy Sheehan seems to be pretty aware of what she is doing and why. That not all of her husbands family agrees with her isn't surprising. Many families, particularly in-laws, don't agree on everything.

13. Aug 12, 2005 #13 of 216
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I found it funny that the president would not talk with her yet held a press conference about her. That struck me as kind of odd.

I would have never mentioned her at all as doing that only added fuel to the fire for her.

(Some people around here should learn that as well) :D

14. Aug 12, 2005 #14 of 216
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    As I said before, this administration seems to have a talent for shooting itself in the foot public relations wise. The attitude seems to be that they are so popular that it doesn't matter.

15. Aug 12, 2005 #15 of 216
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    In response to questions regarding the Cindy Sheehan/Crawford Texas issue: Sheehan Family Statement:

The Sheehan Family lost our beloved Casey in the Iraq War and we have been silently, respectfully grieving. We do not agree with the political motivations and publicity tactics of Cindy Sheehan. She now appears to be promoting her own personal agenda and notoriety at the the expense of her son's good name and reputation. The rest of the Sheehan Family supports the troops, our country, and our President, silently, with prayer and respect.

Sincerely,

Casey Sheehan's grandparents, aunts, uncles and numerous cousins.

Personal Agenda and Notoriety,, You got it. Let's wait for the book, the tour , the t-shirts, the 2 hour movie. The new line of fishing hats. I think she has some kind of mental problem.

16. Aug 12, 2005 #16 of 216
    Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Obviously the pro-war side got to the Sheehan side of the family and using them for their own warped agenda. These people cannot be making this statement of their own free will. :rolleyes:

And again, anyone who doesn't support the president must be suffering from mental illness. Didn't they also use that argument in the U.S.S.R.? Lots of "insane asylums" in Siberia.

17. Aug 12, 2005 #17 of 216
    mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Oh brother. :lol:

18. Aug 12, 2005 #18 of 216
    Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I wasn't talking about the thread, so much as the big hubbub about the story.

The President is in Crawford. He's never on vacation. It's a 24/7 job. But the point is one doesn't talk to someone about something they'll never agree on just because it's demanded. I appreciate her feelings, but anything outside of a letter is just asking for publicity and for him to drop what he's doing to see her only to then have her go to the press and say "he was insincere." It's USELESS.

19. Aug 12, 2005 #19 of 216
    RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    The hubbub about the story is based upon the eroding support for the war in Iraq. Support for Bush on this issue is the lowest ever, so the medua will personalize it like this.

20. Aug 12, 2005 #20 of 216
    Timco

Jun 7, 2002
    So if you have lost your child and are angry about it, you are mentally ill?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.