1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monday's Charlie Chat

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TRSmudge, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 7, 2005 #1 of 47
    TRSmudge

TRSmudge Cool Member

May 28, 2004
    I was wondering, is there an email address I can send in questions to Charlie for the Chat on Monday night?

Should be an interesting show.....
    - Price Increases
    - Falling behind Direct in HD

I need to send an email asking who, when, why, how.....
    You know basically, WTF is Dish going to do to keep up, especially in HD?

TRSmudge

2. Jan 8, 2005 #2 of 47
  3. Jan 8, 2005 #3 of 47
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We are going to hear a lot about Vegas, the 942 and 625 and the new HD TV set.
    We are not going to hear that the 942 is MPEG2 only and IF E* follows through with its plan to only move forward with HD in MPEG4 the 942 is obsolete within a year. (Then again, MPEG4 is only planned for the fall - so it probably won't be obsolete for two years.)
    We will hear about Name Based Recording on the new models with no reference to the repeated promises that they would add the feature to the 510 and 50x series DVRs (as well as the 522 which finally has NBR.)

We will hear that E* is the leader in HD and the low price leader overall in satellite.

We will hear about market 153 and the continued promise to introduce 154 through 160 "soon".

We will hear how those nasty program providers have raised their rates and that E* is forced, grudgingly, to adjust their prices to compensate. We will hear that the greedy cable companies have raised their rates several times and a larger increase than E* is planning.

We will hear about the AT180 for the price of AT120 promotion that is coming. We will wonder why old AT180 subs have to pay $3 more immediately to continue to watch the channels that new AT180 subs will get for the new AT120 price.

We may hear about two new channels ... both PIs that will PAY to be on E*'s wing birds.

And perhaps ...
    We will hear about a couple new regular channels - and if hades freezes over we will hear that they are being added at AT120 instead of A180.

And, if we are in the chat group, we will 'hear' the whole broadcast ripped to shreds by the mocking masses. I'll see you there! :D

JL

4. Jan 8, 2005 #4 of 47
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    I dont think we will see the comparisons about how Dish Network's price increases is less than other things on the market such as milk, cable, etc. this year like we had in the past.

5. Jan 8, 2005 #5 of 47
    TRSmudge

TRSmudge Cool Member

May 28, 2004
    Thanks for the address, I'm not sure why I had trouble finding it on the Dish site. Oh yeah, the website is not user very friendly.....

Anyways, message was sent.....

Thanks,
    TRSmudge

6. Jan 8, 2005 #6 of 47
    alebowgm

alebowgm Hall Of Fame

Jun 12, 2004
    Can someone please call in and ask Charlie about CNNi. I would, but I wont be around during the chat...

7. Jan 8, 2005 #7 of 47
    Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    If you think the consumer website is not user friendly it is nothing, not even close to how unuser friendly the retailer website is.

8. Jan 8, 2005 #8 of 47
    Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    Becauses it's not! They would be damn fools to release this receiver as MPEG2 only!

EDIT: Scott is saying that it is MPEG2 only.

DISH is full of damn fools!

9. Jan 8, 2005 #9 of 47
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Thanks for the correction. :lol:

This will be a VERY defensive program unless they totally ignore the issues.

JL

10. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Does anybody know if they already had a number of these 942's in production and are just trying to dump them before MPEG-4 comes out?

11. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    I'm afraid you may very well be right JL. I really think this will be an "ostrich" show - Charlie's head firmly buried in the sand. I really am keeping my expectations very low. I am only watching so that I can be in the chatroom and join the rabid masses screaming!! It also gives me a great excuse to drink beer since MNF is now over!! :D

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Now THAT sounds like a plan - watch the chatroom, have a brew or two, and watch the chat before CSI Miami :)

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    And take a shot every time E* avoids a tough question or blames their rate increase on providers while cable is rasing because they are greedy.

JL

14. bavaria72

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    I'd be blasted within 30 minutes! :lol:

15. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    I am blasted anyhow.. Constantly :D
    (j/k)

16. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I thought that was the way Charlie and Jim did they show anyway . Totaly wasted !:D I always wonder what they have been smoking when they put on their show each month. How do you think we got that infomercial about the "clock channel" last month? :rolleyes:

17. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Now THERE'S a question to ask live:

"What channel number is the clock channel? I can't find it in my guide. How much does it cost per month? Is it PPV only?"

18. bavaria72

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    Nah, the question SS is - what "new ' channel are they going to introduce on Monday? The "Paint Drying Channel", or the "Grass Growing Channel", or (my favorite) the "Clothes tumbling around in the Dryer Channel". But damn it, they will only be in MPEG4 format so I'll miss them!

19. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Actually it wouldnt be a bad idea to have a clock channel for the receiver to go to which would be like a screensaver in itself when the receiver has been in standby for too long. You would have a tv as a big clock until you wanted to watch something else. It could even have some music on the channel as well.

20. shilton

shilton Godfather

Nov 20, 2002
    Is everyone ready for all the charts and graphs, etc showing us why Dish is still cheaper and better then everyone else? Then we will explain how great the comittment to HD is (even though we see nothing on that end) and we will hear how the FCC screwed us with the one Dish solution, then we move on to how much Disney is at fault because of the price of ESPN. Then we will hear for 40 minutes how Dish won the JD Power Award, so its all ok...then its off for calls and questions...oh wait...OUTTA TIME! This ought to be a special show

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.