1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor vs HDTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cybervet, Jun 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cybervet

cybervet Cool Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Hi all,

Sorry if this might be a bit off topic, but I do want the opinions of you folks in here.

I am getting a new HR20 soon in my home office. I want to get a 20" or so LCD to hook it up to. Has anyone just used a quality LCD computer monitor (with powered speakers, etc. of course) rather than spending a lot more for an HDTV? How is the image?

By my research, a hi end quality Computer monitor is quite a bit cheaper than an HDTV. Seems silly to spend more if your tuner is going to be the HR20.

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. mrhoads

mrhoads DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I have a 24" Dell computer monitor that has an input for the HD Directv H20 box. I use it for pic in pic. It works great.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm using a Dell 20" wide screen ultra sharp [right now] & the spec's for it aren't the same as my Sony 46" LCD, so I'm not sure how "Hi Def" you image will be, but it will work for less than 1080i [as it is 1680 x 1050].
    While it makes a fair to good monitor, it's "lite" compared to a CRT and has less contrast than my HDTV.
    Everything is a compromise and it may work quite well for you. FWIW

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I chose a 23" Philips LCD HDTV for the corner of my desk.

If you are going wide-screen, my advice is don't go smaller than 23". Due to the
    elongation, a 20" 16:9 is shorter on the vertical and the image is actually smaller
    than a 20" 4:3.

In retrospect, I wish I had gone with the 26" display because I sometimes watch
    tv from the comfort of an easy chair in my office, at a distance of about 7-8',

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    And then in further retrospect, you'd wish you got a 32" display, and then.....:lol:

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    So true... :sure:

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If all you want is 720p, then a PC type monitor will work ifine, as long as it has the appropriate input(Component, or HDMI/DVI). I havent seen too many widescreen monitors that can do 1920x1080, but maybe there are some.

8. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    If you have access to local OTA-HD and you use it, then consider that the tuners built into the TV itself are far superior (in most cases) to the OTA-HD tuner built-in to the HR20.

Also, not all channels for OTA are in the Guide for the HR20 (so you can't get them), nor will all HD channels be carried by D* in MPEG-4 format/HD-Locals.

I've had monitors in the past...I'd never buy another one if my goal was to watch HDTV. Fortunately, you can change your mind easily...get your monitor and see if you miss the tuner in it. If not, you saved bucks, if on the other hand you miss having a tuner, then you can use the monitor you already purchased with one of your computers.

9. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I also have a 23" Philips LCD in the bedroom. I picked one up at Costo.com for $399, I believe, and it has a VGA input as well, so I can use it as the monitor for my desktop in there or as my TV...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.