1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monsoon Vulkano--An Alternative to Sling + More?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bnborg, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    It seems to me that this device would offer the MRV features of Sling, with additional features. http://www.myvulkano.com/products.html

It can download from the internet, display to your TV, capture HD, record, has an EPG, and supports an eSata EHD. It almost seems too good to be true.

Has anyone tried one with a Dish rcvr? I see there has been some discussion in DirecTV threads. :confused:

2. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    Apparently it uses it's own external hard drive. I am not sure anyone would want this if they already have a Dish DVR receiver. It is roughly the same price as a Dish DVR.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm sure it will be a fine product. Right now I'd read this article in the New York Times A Device Sold Before Its Time and the mixed reviews at Amazon. Nonetheless, in the long run it should put some pressure on Sling.

Keep in mind that my Slingbox PRO-HD works perfectly and I haven't seen others here with any significant criticisms. I cannot comment on the ViP922 or the new Adaptor which integrate Dish services and DVR's with the Sling function.

4. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    It's less than half as much as a ViP722k. There is a Black Friday $50 discount, making the basic, 8GB Platinum about $115 incl. shipping.

I went ahead and ordered it.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think you're reading more into it than is really there. If you look at the specifications, it is capable of encoding only H.264(MP) video (SD). It may capture HD programming, but it will capture in downconverted SD.

I would liken this device to DIRECTV's upcoming NOMAD product.

The Vulkano also complies with HCDP which adds another dimension of confusion about what you'll be allowed to record.

You should always read the specifications and system requirements before making comparisons.

6. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    How do figure? You must not have priced DVR capable eSATA drives.

7. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I happen to have just ordered an eSata docking station for $22. Enclosures are similarly priced. Drives are drives, as long as they are SATA. You can get 1TB drives for about $55 from various sources.

Note, it also has an IR Blaster and can learn remote codes. It knows Dish codes for address 1 (IR).

I will see how it goes.

8. Brandon C

Brandon C New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Don't expect to be able to record to an external hard drive connected to a Platinum. You will be able to record to a computer with the PC player though.

9. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks, Brandon.

Yeah, I see on the Monsoon Forums that users have had problems with this. I didn't assume it would be easy. I realize I might have to format the EHD with ext2 or ext3 if the Vulkano doesn't do it. ESata drives can be funny about power. Some of them don't work correctly unless the 3volt pins have power, in addition to the 5v and 12v. The external enclosure needs to provide all three.

First thing I do when I get it is back up the 8GB SD that comes with it. I can copy the MBR and change parameters as necessary.

10. Brandon C

Brandon C New Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Did you order the Platinum or the Deluxe? The Platinum doesn't come with any SD card or EHD, nor the support (firmware) to utilize one.
    The Deluxe's can use an EXT3 formatted drive and will automatically reformat one if needed.

11. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I ordered Platinum, and I see on the Monsoon web site there is no storage. I think I was confused by the offer at NewEgg which was for one with an 8GB SD card.

There seem to have been several variations on the Vulcano besides the three currently shown, Platinum (0GB), Deluxe (16GB SD) and Deluxe Pro (1TB eSata). I have also seen a 500GB eSata model mentioned.

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    So the platinum is $149 and the external hard drive is $100. $249 doesn't seem like "less than half" of $199 (or even $349 for an outright purchase).

13. riah

riah Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    I am using the older Hava Platinum model with a VIP622 for about two years now.

As a place shifting box it works great and you do not need to login to use it. Just supply the password of the local box once during set up of the remote client.

My model does not support external hard drive so I can not comment on recording.

Bottom line I have been happy with mine,there support not so much.

14. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    After the Black Friday discount, the Platinum was $113.02 including shipping. You can get 1TB drives for about $55 these days. An eSata enclosure or docking station will be about $20.