1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monster forgot to pay off someone

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Shades228, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Apparently now experts are saying that HDMI cables are all the same.

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The experts have always said that

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    As long as you're using good grade copper of the proper gauge and sufficient shielding/conductor protection with proper connector attachment, they should be the same.

I'm sure there are some junk cables out there that don't perform well.

But I've seen no evidence that Monster or Belkin are any better than Monoprice.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... it's just that most people don't listen to the experts... so I'm not sure anything has changed.

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    The only real difference for normal length cables is the number of conductors it has for HDMI 1.3 and 1.4 signalling. (Or so I was told by the HDMI group.) :)

Cheers,
    Tom

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    for such cables is other factor also important - number of turns per foot

7. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    :/ I just bought a monster cable from a local computer sales/repair place. 6' for $15 and I don't see any difference in the other HDMI cables I have.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    From engineering stand point the cable never been 1x better then other with similar build. It's just a name, like Sony, for what you pay ten fold.

9. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    Right right. I don't mind paying for the cheap version of most anything. Certain things of course I'll purchase brand name for it, but things like cabling I never see a difference like they claim is there.

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    From reading the article, and links to the tests, it would appear to be a valid claim until you go over 50', and that is when the failures of the cheaper cables started.

I would suspect anyone running over 50' would be running to a projector, so it would be quite easy to try cheap first, and if it doesnt work, return and get the next step up.

The article and tests were quite accurate in the under 50' category. Monoprice won in the cost department with zero fails.

11. AttiTech

AttiTech Godfather

Feb 21, 2011
    I don't think I would have any use running 50' of HDMI cable. Maybe 50' of ethernet if I ever wire my house for it, but unless I get the sudden urge to have an equipment closet, then I think it should stay where it is with 6' cables being almost to much

12. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    i would think the numbers of turns is set by the standards committee for HDMI, just like w/ other networking cables.

13. Karen

Karen Godfather

Oct 4, 2007
    The only thing I really liked about the Monster cables was they didn't seem as stiff as the cheaper ones. In some cases, where there isn't a lot of room, it seemed to me like the stiff ones would put more stress on the connectors. That being said, most of my cables aren't Monster cables. <g>

14. HIPAR

HIPAR Icon

May 15, 2005
    This has to do with transmission line theory. I've seen references to preservation of rise/fall times of the digital signals and, also, adherence to termination standards. So, you might be able to establish superiority of a particular cable through a laboratory measurement.

However, as been cited by many, in a typical application that superior cable won't affect the incidence of corrupted pixels. So, it's over designed.

I use a thirty foot long generic HDMI cable that works flawlessly.

--- CHAS

15. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Sure they do. To most people the guy in the blue shirt IS an expert. :rolleyes:

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    There are several good places to get cable cheap, especially HDMI. My favorite just happens to be monoprice.com which happens to provide overnight shipping to California and portions of Nevada and Arizona residents.