1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

more Florida cops shot dead in line of duty.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by cj9788, Jan 24, 2011.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    OMG this happened during the procession of the Miami Dade officers. WTF upside down world we live in. To all the cops out there it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six, Shoot first and ask questions later.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/officers-wounded-st-petersburg-florida/story?id=12747583

A SWAT team has surrounded a St. Petersburg, Fla., home, where a gunman is barricaded after killing two police officers and wounding a deputy U.S. marshal in an ambush this morning.
    The cops arrived at the home just before 7 a.m. to serve a felony warrant. Two St. Petersburg policemen and the marshal entered the home and removed a woman. The woman alerted the officers that the suspect was hiding in the attic, said Mike Puetz, spokesman for the police department.
    As the officers approached the attic, the gunman, who has not yet been identified, shot one of the officers and a marshal, Puetz said.
    The two wounded officers were removed from the home after police punched a hole in the side of the building to safely remove them. Police could not contact the third officer. Eventually they determined he, too, was wounded and he was removed from the house.

WSVN Miami Channel 7 is reporting two officers dead.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  3. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    Don't forget the Los Angeles Unified School District police officer shot on Wednesday of last week. His vest saved his life. The suspect was breaking into cars and remains at large.

4. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    What a bad year for law enforcement. And we are still in January. I wonder if my son is safer in the US Army where he is now (exactly I do not know all he can say is somewhere in Afghanistan) or he had chosen the LEO route.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The above from the AP story tells the sad story. It is more disturbing because this is not the result of some single inner-city gun battle with some large gang armed with assault weapons.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Well, that's a bit deceiving. Fourteen total deaths, yes, but one was from injuries sustained years ago, one was a heart attack and two were traffic accidents. ODMP.org lists one as accidental, but that was friendly fire by another officer during a fight at a bar.

So, we have nine gunfire deaths which is still a lot.

Now, add in all the other gunfire injuries prior to the last few days (don't have a total count for that right now).

January 2010 saw 19 total deaths with 7 from gunfire.

January 2009 had 12 total deaths with only 1 from gunfire.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It's been a bad year already... :(

- Merg

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    They need to bring back "Old Sparky"!

9. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003

The funny thing is that is a consideration. The Illinois company that manufactures a drug used in the 3 drug cocktail used in lethal injections announced they are no longer going make it. Leaving Florida and several other states scratching their heads as to executions when they run out of the drug. FL has some 400 people on death row.

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If I had my way everyone on death row would be executed every Friday 13th! Better still, conserve energy and use rope. It's reusable and biodegradable! ;)

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My son did two tours in Iraq, went to Senegal, and a couple other deployments and then went back to being a Homicide/Robbery detective. Gotta say that he really enjoys life!

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    See a pattern in those links? Shooting, Shooting, Shooting, Shooting. Yeah, guns don't kill people, BS.

Rich

13. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    So lets ban them. While we're at it, let's ban cars, airplanes, trains, buses, and fried food because they kill people too. Over reaction much. :nono:

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    In 1992 my wife dropped my son off at his day care center and found a young child wandering around outside. Turned out that the child and her mother had been abducted the previous evening by a guy in a van. They found the mother in a ditch the next day, stabbed to death. Had the guy in custody a day or so later. The police knew very quickly who he was and I know there was some outrage that he even made it to court. In both police and civilian circles. If there is absolute proof that someone such as this killed some innocent soul, I see no reason for that person to live much longer after they are apprehended. A simple, "Gee, he attacked me." by a police officer would seem to be sufficient to end his life. He's still alive in jail.

Rich

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
  16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Did not say one word about banning guns.

Rich

17. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Yup, sounds about right. Thank's to the "bleeding hearts" and "human rights" mucky mucks scum like that get off easy. Only when they become victimized by those they have so much sympathy for do they have a reality check and come to their senses!

18. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'm pretty middle of the road lib/con with more lib leaning, but when it comes to the death penalty - Fry em!

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That whole episode really affected our lives. I had to run out and purchase a cell phone, put peephole devices in our doors and my wife began to take Karate classes. Had to put lights all around the house with motion sensors and my wife still refuses to go out shopping at night unless my son or I go with her. And the laws in NJ and NY seem more focused on the rights of the felons than on our rights.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Problem with that is that it takes so long to execute someone. Appeal after appeal. Ends up costing a fortune. With absolute assurance of guilt a bullet should be administered on the spot, I think. But it would have to be with absolute assurance and then you're making a police officer judge and jury and that probably wouldn't work out so well. What to do? :nono2:

Rich