1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More HD Charlie?!?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bdemz, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdemz

bdemz AllStar

Sep 18, 2002
    Since you won't be adding any channels that don't offer anything more than (MaxHD and StarzHD) SD?!? Which HD channels will Dish carry?

2. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    The answer being "None, since nothing is compelling!".

Charging us $9.95/month for HD Net, HD Net Movies, and Discovery HD is quite a premium. ESPN HD is effectively never high definition and should be removed from this package altogether. This leaves us with 3 channels for $10, and no plans to add anything else. Gack.

3. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    Actually, all I watch from that package is HD Net Movies. The package with only 4 channels is certainly of questionable value. It would sure be interesting if EVERYONE just dropped it.

4. Sparkman87

Sparkman87 Legend

Apr 27, 2002
    I will dispute the ESPN-HD. They are broadcasting quite a few games in HD and by June, Sportscenter will also be in HD. I for one would be willing to pay $10/month for just the HD games they show & I don't even watch hockey. For me, the improvement that HD makes in televised sports is the main reason to watch HD.

That being said, I HATE the DISH attitude that there is no compelling HD out there. Please let ME decide what is compelling and what I am willing to pay for.As an Everything Pak subsrciber, I would watch more of Starz & Cinemax in HD. TNT will be showing NBA playoffs in HD, I want that!

5. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    It is not the case that there's no compelling HD out there. E* and D* just don't have the bandwidth to go with a lot of HD. They'd rather add locals.

It's why I got VOOM.

6. bdemz

bdemz AllStar

Sep 18, 2002
    I want more HD and less locals but I know this won't happen. And they will never admit that this is case. (Bandwidth)

I guess adding more local markets with people paying 34.99 per month is worth more to them than upgrading the 34.99 per mo. users to 79.99.

Is this a correct assumption?

7. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Probably. I'm sure they're working on a long term HD plan. But some of us want it in the short run.

8. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Oh yeah. It's obvious from the way they conduct business, from hardware design and manufacture, to contract negotiations, to CSR training, that Dish has a rock solid and well planned long-term strategy. :nono2:

9. tjguinn

tjguinn Cool Member

Apr 2, 2003
    It does appear that HD content is not a very high priority. I think the actions of the cable companies or Direct TV will be the only way to motivate E* into more HD. I live in a white zone and cannot receive my local channels period, let alone in HD. At this point I am living with the lack of network channels in HD (except for CBS). When the HD offerings of the networks reach the point where I don't feel I can live without them, I will have no choice but to jump back to cable (an ugly thought). When Monday night football rolls around and ABC is still not available through E*, it may force the move? Also being on the wrong (west) coast doesn't help either. HBO might be one of my most watched HD offering if it were not for the fact that with the east coast feed being the only one offered, prime time HD movies are over by the time I am ready to watch. I have never understood why E* can't put a west coast feed of HBO HD on 148? I would probably sign on for Showtime HD as well, if it were a west coast feed. Fortunately some of the best HD content has been offered by CBS which I am fortunate enough to receive.

10. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    You and me both, brother.

They probably want to save room for the new Zimbabwe and Uzbekistan channels.

11. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    Nah, they're going on 121... :D

12. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I assume that Dish has an estimate of how many local channel subscriptions they expect to get when they add new locals for an area. I wonder if they've ever done any sort of trade-off cost analysis, where they consider whether it's worth adding x many new local markets versus adding x more HD channels? Or just how many dollars they are expecting to get for adding random Pakistani channel y versus if they improved the HD package?

Eventually, someone is going to do the math and see that it shows that a number of customers would find compelling HD content reason enough to upgrade to HD equipment and to purchase the HD package, but that the number of people in the US (remember, Echostar, you are operating in the US, not the Congo!) who want Swahili programming is substantially less. This doesn't seem like it would be too hard an argument to support with numbers.

13. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Dish probably has more subs to the Swahili channel than the Dish HD Pack. Sad but probably true. Dish will probably come under a lot of pressure to add HD in the next year with the explosion of HD sets and cable HD carriage.

14. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I don't think this is rocket science. Start with your best guess of the ratio of "Leading Edge Techies" vs "Joe 6 packs" and then multiply by the % of good quality prime time programming (your choice on how you want to define that) and I think it will inform your strategy on whether you add more locals or add more HD.

15. garypen

Feb 1, 2004
    HD means more than just rogramming for current subscribers. It is a promotional tool. Marketing hype, if you will. Being a true leader in HD will raise Dish (or DirecTV, or even Cable) above the fray. It will put that company to the technilogical forefront in the minds of consumers.

I'll bet every HD sub, and most SD subs would probably agree that:
    There is basically enough SD programming on Dish already. (except for certain RSN's and NFL)
    There is unquestionably too many shopping, public interest, and religious channels.
    Some would argue that there is too much International.
    They already provide a huge number of locals from every major market, and a ton of minor ones. They should concentrate on gaining more customers from the markets they already provide locals for, instead of adding grainy, overcompressed locals for every little hamlet and burg with more than two TV's.

16. calikarim

calikarim Mentor

Nov 11, 2003
    I am Indian and the reason i subscribe to Dish if for the 5 Indian Channels, Z, B4U, Sony, Tv Asia for which i pay almost $50. Because Dish offers Internationals i keep Dish for Americas Top 150. If Dish didn't offer internationals I wouldn't subscribe to any programming. My bill is currently $134 a month with all extra premiums. International subscribers pay more on average than white American subscribers, Dish knows that. That is 500% higher than HD pack incremental revenure of $9.95. The U.S population is highly multicultural. Asians are 10% of population, hispanics 20% and climbing. I think dish knows that. Would they not offer international programming , the would loose $134 from me, i would probably subscribe to Direct Tv. I just added voom but i am still keeping my dish package, internationals a re a big reason
    :)

17. bdemz

bdemz AllStar

Sep 18, 2002
    All points. Especially the adding of more locals. Dish should stop trying to compete with every cable company in the US and concentrate more on specialized stuff like HD and maybe Internationals.

I think they got into the market because people liked their offerings (more channles, lower prices) but cable is catching up. THey need an edge and HD is where its at.

18. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Ultimately, everyone is going to have to have a longterm HD plan. There will come a time when all TV is HD and not SD. It may be 10 or 12 years down the road for all I know, but it will happen and I'm sure D* and E* are making long term plans.

19. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Dish does somewhat specialize with International programming.

And lets face it. Voom is the DBS for HDTV. If they'd only get big channels that they ar missing (INHD, INHD2, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and ESPN-HD) then they would be a no brainer for any of us complaining about more HD.

20. bdemz

bdemz AllStar

Sep 18, 2002
    Yeah VOOM does look like the solution but lack of DVR for HD is a no go for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.