1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More HD locals being lit up today...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by syphix, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Before I left for work, NBC-HD (Minneapolis market) had showed up and was working fine. Thanks to Crystal Pepsi Ball at SatelliteGuys for doing some research. Here's what he/she found on DirecTV.com/locals:

Maybe most interesting is that many are noting that these HD LiL's are coming off 99 (Spaceway 2), not 103 (Spaceway 1)...

2. dan8379

dan8379 Godfather

Feb 13, 2006
    I checked a zip code in Kansas City on Directv's website and it shows all four as being live. But I checked with a friend in KC and as of this morning he only saw ABC and NBC in the guide.

3. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006

All of the HD LIL's (Minneapolis) are up and running now - I just had my dish upgraded last evening and replaced my old Sony HD-200 with the Direct Unit (sigh* - anyone want to buy an old HD-200? :( )... Should be interesting to see how things come through when the HD-recorded material is broadcast tonite. :)

-Bob

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Only thing I do not like is that the 4 stations from Minneapolis are showing up in the guide with the same channel number as the SD feed (4, 5, 9, 11). It would be nice if they could indicate the difference.

Anyone else notice the H20 has MK5 and MK9 for the HD Feed for Channel 5 and Channel 9?

5. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Yeah, I notice that "MK9" naming, too...typo, I guess.

I don't care about them showing up as the same number. I just removed the SD feeds from my favorites so the wife has no choice but tune into the HD channel.:)

EDIT: just checked...it's channel 5 that's labeled "MK"...."MK5".

6. w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Normally the HD locals will be the lower of the two channels and will have the actual call letters instead of the old SD idenifiers like KCBS instead of LA2 and KNBC instead of LA4.

7. rmonio

rmonio Cool Member

Apr 19, 2006
    ..as where I live, an OTA wouldn't cut it.

I also like the fact that I can run both RGB and Component outputs at the same time. This was something I couldn't do with the Sony HD-200... My internal cable net now has 3 receivers multiplexed and the extra HD receiver is usable. So this has been a net/net benefit for me. :D

-Bob

8. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Hey Bill - have you gone to the BB website lately? - I bet you have. LEASE only.

9. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I guess that might change in a day or two. It is not a big to us since we have HD DNS anyway and without a DVR capable of MPEG4, the wife would never give that up.

10. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  11. Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball Godfather

Jun 29, 2004
    West Valley...
    You are most welcome.

12. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003

On the last go around of SD locals that Directv launched about 1 1/2 year ago off 72.5 sat, they put up the channels call letters instead of the city and # abbreviation.
    Here's what the guide shows

STANDARD DEF LOCALS GREENVILLE, WASHINGTON, NEW BERN, NC
    7 WITN
    9 WNCT
    12 WCTI
    13 UPN
    14 WYDO
    15 WB
    25 WUNK

So if and when the smaller markets get HD locals youll have to figure out which is what while in the guide, however you could easily tell by the picture.

13. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Yep, that's quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine: when entering the channel number, it takes me to the SD feed, NOT the HD channel...even though I've removed the SD channel from my current favorites....ugh...

14. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    anyone know when miami/ft lauderdale is going up thought it was in the 2nd tier also?

greg

15. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Offical DirecTV press release:

DIRECTV Activates HD Local Channel Service in Eight Additional Markets
    Minneapolis, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Nashville, Kansas City, Columbus, Ohio and Birmingham to Begin Receiving Local HD Programming Today, Wednesday, April 19. WHAT: DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television service provider, announced today that it has begun offering local HD channels via satellite to customers in the Minneapolis, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Nashville, Kansas City, Columbus, Ohio and Birmingham DMAs.

DIRECTV's roll out of local HD channels in eight more markets is part of a nationwide expansion of HD programming that will culminate in 2007, when DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels, establishing DIRECTV as a leading provider of HD programming. DIRECTV customers today have access to more than 900 hours of HD programming each week, as well as hundreds of hours of special event, movie and sports coverage.

DIRECTV now offers local HD broadcast channels in 20 cities with plans to launch in an additional 16 cities by mid-year, offering access to DIRECTV-delivered local HD channels in more than 58 percent of U.S. television households.

WHEN: Beginning today, Wednesday, April 19, 2006

HOW: Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge. Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing a new H20 HD receiver and satellite dish. DIRECTV is offering a $200 mail-in rebate to new and existing non-HD customers who purchase a DIRECTV HD receiver (limit one rebate per customer). Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy or Circuit City, and through DIRECTV.

Source

16. moonman

moonman Icon

Oct 27, 2004
    ------------
    Hey Greg...even 'tho we are in the #17 DMA, for some reason we are not sked.
    till June of this year for some reason....NBC & CBS are both Network O&O so they
    cannot be the problem with sign on...Fox (WSVN) however, is private owned
    (Sunbeam), so I suspect it is a issue with Fox.

17. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
  18. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    i was just wondering

i'm gonna wait til dtv decides what they are gonna do about the hr10 250 or the new hd dvr before i'm gonna upgrade anyway. i get the locals just fine ota so no reason to upgrade til they have the equipment i need. would be nice though not have to worry about that antenna up there too though..

greg

19. folocity

folocity Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Do you need the five LNB dish and the new receiver to get the Mpls HD locals? I have a three LNB dish and a Samsung TS-360. Will that work?

20. moonman

moonman Icon

Oct 27, 2004
    Yes & No

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.