1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"More HD than anywhere else" (NOT)

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by TomCat, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1 of 55
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    How does DISH get away with claiming that they have more HD than anyone else in their recent commercials? Really, what nerve. It was not that long ago that they had about half of what DirecTV had, and little more than most cable systems. (mod edit) Can you just say anything you like these days and expect folks to assume it's the truth? What happened to truth in advertising? Where are the watchdogs?

Curious, I went to whereishd.com, which says DirecTV has 129 HD channels while DISH only has 116. They've added a lot in recent months, but that still seems like about 90% of what DirecTV offers. It would seem that the channels one has that the other doesn't can't make up the difference; IOW, DISH also does not seem to have unique channels with a lot of HD while DirecTV has unique channels with less HD. DirecTV also seems to have the HD that many people want, such as exclusives for NFL and other sports.

So I really don't get it, or how they can say this with a straight face. Whatever math they are using, I'd like to use that to balance my checkbook.:)

2. Jun 2, 2009 #2 of 55
    Cold Irons

Cold Irons AllStar

Dec 7, 2005
    Uhmmm...haven't been paying attention for the last 15 years? Anyone who listens to advertising of this sort & believes the company line is an idiot.

....and 10 people doing this count would provide 8 different results.
    ...shrug...:D

3. Jun 2, 2009 #3 of 55
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Dish 62 national channels in their HD lineup +22 HD premium channels
    Direct 55 national channels in their HD lineup +15 HD premium channels

4. Jun 2, 2009 #4 of 55
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    RSNs??? They are available nationally--I get them all.

5. Jun 2, 2009 #5 of 55
    Cold Irons

Cold Irons AllStar

Dec 7, 2005
    So....so far, 3 people, 3 different counts....

6. Jun 2, 2009 #6 of 55
    kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    Don't forget that HD PPV channels also count in the "HD channel" list.

7. Jun 2, 2009 #7 of 55
    GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    It will get Crazy as some will start throughing in RSN's, and debating which ones can be counted and which ones can't on a 24/7 broadcasting basis.
    Then the Numbers can really get screwed as EVERY cable company, Direct and Dish, use HD PPV's to really screw things up.

8. Jun 2, 2009 #8 of 55
    jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Travel ChannelHD, WGNHD, Half the HBO's in HD an so on and so forth. If you count national HD channels Dish leads.

9. Jun 2, 2009 #9 of 55
    jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    If you are really that interested why don't you go www.dishnetwork.com then www.directv.com and make your own list of availble HD channels. whereishd.com is always outdated. The only this area that D* leads in is FULLTIME rsn's. Many including myself do not call them national channels because you will not be able to watch many professional games outside of their market.

10. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Ah the battle of RSN's is beginning. Do you count a channel that is 24/7, but with lots of blackouts? Do you count a Channel that's HD only during games that they can carry?
    Whats the worth of a HD channel, when you can't watch it do to black outs.
    That "R" in RSN, stands for Regional, and causes all sorts of issues.

11. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Well, you bring up a good point. The very fact that it is called a "regional" channel excludes it from being called a "National" channel. The other thing is I am not going to go over D* side and stir up the pot. I might chime in a thread that is already started but, I would not go over there and start a thread about how Dish is smoking Direct in national HD offerings but, if somebody comes over here to call that a lie, I will respond.

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Gee whiz. James Long has kept a web page on this subject forever. As far as I'm concerned the ad refers to a poll taken in the Dish Network administrative offices of what HD folks there watched. Apparently they have a lot of tennis and fishing buffs.

For me, the real negative for Dish is that it does not carry our and most DMA's PBS and The CW stations and so far I've seen no indication that they will.

13. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    James has always done a good job of apples to apples and oranges to oranges type comparisons. Looks like James needs to update this list though, as FX(136) and Speed(150) are now HD on Dish, and Fuel is now available(155, SD only though), just shows you how fast this moving number can change. As we know James does his best to stay up on things.

14. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    A regional sports network, distributed nationally, is a national channel.

If I had time to watch anything other than things I must see, I would enjoy the high school football games, small college basketball games, etc.

They are there for any subscriber in the nation. That's the usual definition of a national channel. It has nothing to do with the channel's name.

15. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Funny thing is, most all of those things you listed that would not be blacked out on a NSN, (National Sports Network) would not be broadcast in HD anyways. SD NSN's are availble to anybody on E* too in the same quality that you can watch it in. The only difference on these SD only broadcasts is that E* does not suffer the massive bandwidth waste that D* deals with just to show the same game in the same quality. All for a trumped up channel count.

16. Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Some of those RSN's show more HD programming (non-Pro sports) than CMT, MTV, VH1, & BET combined.

17. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    That is the reason that I switched to Dish from DirecTV. I was very pleased with DirecTV's programming, the customer service was so so, and equipment was fine.
    I am not a big sports fan however, so I could care less about all of the HD RSN's and the extra HD ppv channels that have to be kept because of the NFL Sunday ticket.
    Probably the main reason that I switched however was the fact that going on 2 years ago DirecTV let out a press release stating that they were adding all of the HBO channels that they carried in HD, 2 years later and still nothing.

18. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Maybe some do but, you are not going to see many high school and no name college in HD. And, I doubt any of the RSN's have the viewership of any of those channels you listed.

19. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    That sucks. That is a very good example of why you should not pick any provider on what they say they are gonna do.

20. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    Simply cause they are the HD leader.:D