More readable guide update?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by mheisen, May 29, 2015.

1. mheisen

mheisen New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Is there any word on timing for the release of the proposed guide update? Having some font control, or even letters on a black background could be very helpful

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I haven't heard anything but speculation.

That said...

I know I've asked Dish multiple times in the past if they could implement different themes. IF they can't outright give us color/font control because it might be a nightmare to support that many combinations... at least take some cues from customer suggestions and create a few different themes to choose from.

3. FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    With what's available for Closed Captioning, you'd think they could come up with something. Matter of fact, I was quite surprised that there are so many settings for CC and nothing for the Guide. It's staring to get painful to try to read. Grandma has to stand on front of her 35" to see it. It's kinda like a child enthralled with their favorite cartoon. But having to do this is not enthralling Grandma.

I've been taking care of a friends house who has DirecTV and the guide is billion fold better in many ways. Readability, Response and most of all Accuracy. Their setup of were things are leaves a lot to be desired.

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Right, Bob, Direct has an SD style guide and Dish has an HD guide. I have had no problems with guide readability, response or accuracy with the Hopper guide.

5. mheisen

mheisen New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Pat,
    I applaud your good eyesight and wish that I shared it. I run a 55" 1080P setup, and from 12' away have issues making it out on occasion. I thought someone had seen a demo of a new format at a show a few months ago, and was just looking for further information on a possible release or implementation. Thanks....

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I do not have a problem with the Hopper guide on a HD set ... but the Hopper and Joey guides on a SD set could be improved. Apparently DISH assumes everyone has 100% HD sets - and since one cannot mix Hoppers with older receivers one has to put up with tiny blurry print on a SD screen.

I would not mind a "SD" option for a guide. Consider it the "large print" version I had on the 622. :)

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Um DIRECTV does have a Hi Definition guide just as the hopper does. They have never taken advantage of the sharper image to add more to the screen but some would say it's better that way. (Not me I want options)

And surly hopper will do a SD guide too when it's outputting to a SD tv right?

8. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    A 1 1/2 hour guide is pathetic on an HD screen. Hopper/Joey system is designed for HD TVs.

9. DN2014

DN2014 New Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Midwest USA
    I stayed in a motel for 2 nights with DirectTV the guide, it is 1000 times better than dish with gray on white or white on gray!!!!

10. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    To each his own... The Dish Hopper guide is easy to read like print on paper, 3 hours, 7 rows, fast, with 3 hour and 24 hour paging...

11. mheisen

mheisen New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    My question remains about a format that is easier to read based on eyesight issues. Many people do NOT read print on paper well either. Trival dismissal statements do not change that. Choices, like large print books, are there for those that need them. Hoping that Dish comes up with some choices as they do with some of their other boxes like the 722 series.

12. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Nope. One of our Hoppers has both the HD and SD outputs in use. Usually either the HD or the SD TV is on, never both. When the SD output is in use, the sides of the 16:9 image is cut off on the 4:3 screen. Also, sometimes the Hopper won't allow a HBO recording to be viewed on the SDTV due to the unavailable HDMI HDCP handshake. One time all it took to get around that was use the other remote, which doesn't make much sense since the HDTV was off.

13. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Can you get a guide when you are watching the sd output? If so it has an sd guide too. If it has no guide at all on sd outputs, then its not scale able... That is what I was referring to. Directv can not do both at the same time, only one or the other... But it does do both.

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    And this is why Directv didn't go to a guide with smaller print and more info. I want it bad, but they are paying attention to the people who wouldn't be able to use it. They need options for either. Having just one option or the other is not acceptable IMHO.

15. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    Yes, but like I mentioned, the sides of the 16:9 image is cut off on the 4:3 screen.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The guide is the same on the HD and SD outputs. The Hopper and Joeys do not have separate UIs. The SD outputs are simply a downconvert of the HD outputs.

17. 2010renegade

2010renegade New Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Maplewood, MN
  18. mheisen

mheisen New Member

Jul 1, 2006
  19. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    Western Arc
    The new EPG sucks dead bunnies through a straw.

20. mheisen

mheisen New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    So where can I see this EPG? You obviously have.