More than 8 Receivers on SWM - Can't run another wire easily

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Ryan A Cassidy, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Ryan A Cassidy

Ryan A Cassidy New Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Any guidance on how to do this? I have 13 drops in my house, 9 TV's currently active and I only have an 8 way splitter. So 1 TV is currently not working. It doesn't seem like they may any larger 5-2150mhz splitters.

I no longer have the ability to run a new wire (only have 1 wire running from the Satellite to the splitter) as all the drywall/paint/trim have been done in the basement.

Is there away to get the other 5 drops added using a new splitter or directv setup without having to run new wires from the satellite?

I know we can only ever have 5 ON at any point in time, but it would be nice to not have to go and "swap wires" when we want certain TV's to work.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    With the SWM system you can put in another splitter on one leg of your existing splitter and even repeat if you wish.

3. Ryan A Cassidy

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohh.. So have a 2 way splitter feeding two 8 way splitters? or a 2 way feeding 1 eight way and 1 six way? Didn't know I could do that. been searching and alot of the stuff I find is from 2010/2014 so wasn't sure.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You might have some other things to do also.
    You will need to add this TV to your account.
    You might have to change out your LNB to one that handles more tuners. Please list all of the receiver or clients that you have now.

See page 6 on this link.
    https://blog.solidsignal.com/docs/SWM Install White Paper.pdf

5. Ryan A Cassidy

Dec 19, 2018
    Cool. Thanks!

Will definitely add the TV's to the account.

I have a SL3S4NR2-01 on the Dish.

I have one wire from the Satellite to an 8way splitter.
    1 HR 44
    6 Direct TV Genie Mini's
    1 Wire goes to another Direct TV SWiM adapter out of the splitter

I want to add right now 1 TV but also have 4 more TV's I'd like to add in the not so distant future.

So as I read this... I'll need a new LMB (3D2RBLNB), but if I'm upgrading to 4k service, I'll need that anyway. Once I install that, I can install the 2 way into two 8 way splitters as per Page 6, and I should be good to go right?

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    For 13 drops it's one 2-way SWiM splitter feeding two 8-ways. And make sure you have 75 ohm terminating caps on the 3 remaining unused ports.

I assume you have the correct SWiM LNB to support the aggregate tuner count for all the receivers?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I could be wrong but you are only using 5 tuners ( the HR44 ) since the minis get their signals from the HR44.
    Where are the other 3 TVs / receivers / clients ?

8. Ryan A Cassidy

Dec 19, 2018
    There aren't any other clients or equipment. That is all I have. Each of the mini's is run to the 8 way splitter in the basement. So does it stand to reason, that since I'm not using those other turners, I can add more mini's by splitting the signal with a 2way into two 8ways per that PDF without having to upgrade the LNB?

I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff and can't seem to wrap my mind around it. Sorry for all the questions!

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I would not spend any more than I had to if you are planning on getting 4k. They will change all that is needed to make it work and possibly cost you nothing or very minimal.

10. Ryan A Cassidy

Dec 19, 2018
    That's a Fair point. I do want to upgrade to 4k.

But if I don't upgrade to 4k, am I understanding it correctly though? The concept of Tuners (there are 8 on the LNB i have now), is different than the "ports" on the splitter. So if I didn't upgrade to 4k (IE kept the same LNB), I could just add a 2 way splitter, to feed two 8 way splitters, and run the one HR44 and then the rest of the Genie Mini's (up to 13 in total I guess) off of those two splitters since the HR44 only runs 5 tuners?

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I do not know the limits of how many clients / minis can be attached to the HR44. Someone else will have to jump in and help with that.
    Yes on the 2 way splitter feeding 2 8 way splitters.

12. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Limit is 8 on an account but only 3 or 4 active at a time off a HR44 with no recording.. With that many clients you may want to look into a HS17 which bumps the limit to 7

13. Ryan A Cassidy

Dec 19, 2018
    Cool. For right now, all I want to do is just add the additional receiver. and that's worth the $18 in parts for me to get that done. Will work next to figure out the rest of the 4k stuff. I'm half tempted to just do that myself. Doesn't seem too hard.

14. Ryan A Cassidy

Dec 19, 2018
    well, as luck would have it.... I called directtv (thankfully my wife did), and they are installing a new HR54 and 2 C61's tomorrow. So hopefully they will upgrade the LNB and I can get them to adjust the splitters accordingly when they are here. If not, i'll get the splitters ordered and installed myself which isn't a big deal. Very interested in the HS17 though. As I add TV's to the basement, we may need to get one of those to expand the capabilities

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    jimmie57 likes this.