1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More than 80 percent of television viewing is still a standard definition experience.

Discussion in 'The OT' started by sigma1914, Nov 10, 2010.

1. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire...-now-the-majority-but-hd-viewing-lags-behind/

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Doesn't surprise me as I believe most of the TV that's broadcast during the day ( 9 - 5) is SD, as is the stuff in the middle of the night.

HD reigns supreme in prime time, but that's about it.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If I had "cable", those numbers might be true, but with DirecTV, mine are more like 80% HD and 20% SD [or less]. :)

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's the problem with statistics... they can be simultaneously true and misleading.

OTA is largely SD during most of the day. Morning shows are in HD mostly, as is primetime and the late night shows... but that leaves a lot of daytime SD viewing.

IF they aren't counting stuff you time-shift from late-night movie channels or during the day... then all the people who watch the daytime soap operas are going to cancel out all the people watching in primetime.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    But like it says, the stats also require a TRUE HD TV which most people don't have. Remember all those converter boxes out there that people have connected to CRT TVs that still work fine. Even if the box is HD, the TV isn't. Many people won't replace a working TV no matter how old it is. Until recently, HD TVs were cost prohibitive for millions of households. Only in the last year or so have you been able to find a large selection of sets under $500 and hardly anything at all under $300.

People just don't have $500 to go buy a new TV if the one they have still works. And for those households that have more than one TV it gets even worse.

6. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    This so isn't true for me. If I'm watching D*, I don't watch it if it's not HD. I mean, I literally turn it off. Can't stand something not in HD when it's coming down from the satellite.

I've watched many SD programs via Netflix, but not via D*.

Oh wait.. i was watching the top 75 (or whatever) catches on MLB Network tonight... it was part HD, part SD, depending on when the catch was made. That type of broadcast is about all the SD I watch anymore. Oh, and The Amazing Race. Still baffles me why they took so long to go HD. They are almost a travel show. Can't wait for next year when it's in HD. And watching that girl get pelted in the head with a pumpkin would have been AWESOME in HD. That's why CBS made the change.... FACT!

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    But as indicated above, HD Snobs are a very, very small percentage of the viewing public.

8. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    Doesn't surprise me, either.

As has been mentioned, there are still a lot of SD TV sets in use out there. Take my elderly parents, for example. Only one of their three TV sets is HD, but they still only have analog cable, with no set-top boxes. Their new HD set has a QAM tuner, so they get local HD channels, but that's about it for HD at their house.

A number of Cable/satellite channels are still SD-only, or sometimes the HD version of a channel is not yet offered on a particular Cable/satellite service. Even if you have an HD TV, but rely on OTA, the digital subchannels are almost all SD, and some of the programming on HD channels is still in SD.

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The sad humor in all this is that some of the same of the same folks who buy an HDTV and then connect it to an SD source as probably the same ones going around saying "HD isn't that big a deal...I have an HDTV and can't see much difference". :rolleyes::nono2::D

10. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    The thing is, it was the Digital transition, not the HDTV transition. Even SD, people are watching everything delivered digitally now, so the billions spent went to something.

Now, for my wife and I, we are probably 95% HD and 5% SD.

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Your talking about DISH customers, right? :rolleyes::D

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If my 27inch SD Sony CRT hadn't crapped out - I still wouldn't have HD except on my computer. Money IS an issue, especially with the recession. There are alot of daytime network shows that HD just doesn't add all that much. And I still only have the one HD in the Family room - our kitchen and bedroom TVs are 19 and 13 inch SD CRTs right now.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    My 2nd TV is a 32" SDTV from years ago.... I don't watch it much, but when I do, it obviously is SD-only... so if there were 2 people in my house watching TV at the same time in different rooms... then that would cut me to 50% immediately.

I imagine a lot of people with HDTVs in the main room still have SDTVs in the kids' rooms... so that really skews the statistic too.

14. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Theater - HD
    Living Room - HD
    Game Room - HD*
    Wii Room - HD*
    Bedroom - HD
    Loft - SD
    Office - SD
    Spare Bedroom - SD

*Even though I have HD capability there, neither display has a dedicated box and receives it's programming through my home distribution system, which is SD.

Between hotels, watching shows in the loft (computer) and in my home office, I still probably watch the majority of my programming in SD.

15. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    And remember that the first flat screens were almost all SD with analog tuners. If my 30" LCD Olevia hadn't crapped, I'd still be using it.

People spent BIG bucks on those SD flat screens. They're not going to throw them away for no reason.

How many SD projection units are out there?

I can see it being 5 years before that number in the OP falls below 75%. Who knows how long before it falls below 50%.

16. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    The sad part is the people that have HDTVs and still watch the SD channels (they have HD channels) because they remember the numbers!