Most Famous Restaurants in America - Iconic Restaurants In Every State

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1 of 15
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From Thrillist:

Most Famous Restaurants in America - Iconic Restaurants In Every State
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

Feel free to differ... this is a very subjective list.

2. Jan 8, 2015 #2 of 15
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    No KFC. :)

3. Jan 8, 2015 #3 of 15
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    In Alexandria, Virginia, there is a McDonald's on US Route 1 whose visual exposure is impaired by the overpass just before it, so they compensate by frequently changing the large, advance billboard, sort of like a low-budget "South of the Border" tactic, and they had a neat one that said in huge letters, "Famous Restaurant Ahead" and to the top of the billboard, they had attached just the tips of two golden arches, making it look like they were just coming into view.

Without Googling, what restaurant chain has the most stores, worldwide? (No, it's not Chinese)

4. Jan 8, 2015 #4 of 15
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I think it's Subway now.

5. Jan 8, 2015 #5 of 15
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Interesting, Mark. I went thru several lists I found between the restaurant list. Sadly, I only found the Cranbury Inn in NJ to be the only restaurant I've eaten in. Not the best restaurant I've ever been in.

I was surprised that NJ came in 26th. I've been to many restaurants in NJ and haven't been thrilled by many of them. Perhaps the Buttonwood Manor on the lake in Matawan would be a good choice for the best one I've eaten in. Can't remember a single meal there that stands out tho.

I was also surprised to see Phillie talked about so much. I have been disappointed in several restaurants there. None stand out. On the other hand, I've been to many superb places in Pittsburgh, most in places that were hard to find. I ate in one place that we had to walk thru a crappy alley to get to and it was on the second floor of a nondescript building. Had a huge, superb lobster tail dinner there at a really reasonable price. A meal that would have been priced out of this world in Manhattan.

Aside from that surprisingly good lobster dinner in Pittsburgh, the best lobster dinner I've ever had was in a Holiday Inn in the middle of Maine. Two days before that wonderful meal we ate at the same place and had a terrible lobster dinner. Different cooks, as it turned out.

If I had to pick a favorite state to eat in, I'd pick Texas. The Galveston area. Every restaurant I ate in was great. I was on an expense account whenever I went to Texas so I went to relatively expensive restaurants every night. Never was disappointed. Not once. Seafood to die for. Shrimp so large they could have been lobster tails.

Rich

6. Jan 8, 2015 #6 of 15
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I don't know if the Golden Lamb can be considered continuously operating. The hotel was open, but we went there one time and it just so happened that the restaurant was closed because they were still waiting on a new license.

7. Jan 8, 2015 #7 of 15
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The only one I have been to on that list was St. Elmo's Steak House in Indianapolis. While there is no way I could say it is or isn't the best in town it definitely belongs on a list of places you must check out if you are in town.

8. Jan 8, 2015 #8 of 15
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Joe's Stone Crabs in Florida is the only restaurant on the list I've been to. Well worthwhile choice.

9. Jan 8, 2015 #9 of 15
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Joe's Crab Shacks here are terrible. Noisy, with poor service. Been to one, never again unless I get to the original one.

Rich

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Joe's Stone Crabs is not related to Joe's Crab Shack.

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I believe it's been Subway for at least 5 years now.

12. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Guess I've missed some of these places when I've lived in or visited their area, like the Red Pepper in Grand Forks, ND or McClard's in Hot Springs, AR - just not my kind of food as I'm a plain meat & potatoes kind of guy.

But Cattleman's in OKC and the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth, MI are good.

Can one say that they've eaten at Wall Drug? Probably got a milkshake and a hamburger there once upon a time.

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Good, I'll never walk into one of them again, then.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    So, I liked the thread so much I subscribed to the Thrillist and just spent a happy hour laughing at all the really funny stuff. Thanx again for the link.

Rich

15. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    It put a great big ad in the middle of my screen that I couldn't close. But I was able to see the one for Maryland below it, and I have never heard of it despite living in MD almost my whole adult life.