1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Interesting Place to Visit

Discussion in 'The OT' started by JM Anthony, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    It's got to be at least 150 miles from home, preferably in another state/country, but what's the most interesting place you've visited. Not the most beautiful, just the most interesting. For me it was Winnipeg in the dead of winter a few years ago. Colder than squat on the streets, so no one tarried. People hustling to get underground in the causeways that connected buildings. Friendly people concerned about their city and some great restaurants. And of course, the yanks who were bundled up always got a good natured ribbing!!

2. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Oh boy, Chinatown in NYC comes to mind because of the people. Eureaka, CA and the redwoods come to mind because of the nature.

Many years ago my wife was friends a girl named Arlana from Bonneyville, Alberta. They met in college. Her parents had a 100,000 acre ranch in a remote region of Alberta. My wife and I and her dad and a few others got to go there once in July for 2 weeks and camp and fish and bird watch. They raised horses and cattle and pro rodeo bulls. The entire 100,000 acres was fenced and once a year Arlana's older brother would set out to ride the fences on a horse with a pack mule to carry supplies. If a post was broken he'd cut a tree and make a new one. He also carried his barbed wire and could make needed repairs. He would be gone 2 or 3 weeks depending on how bad the winter snows damaged the fences. I suppose he hunted and fished for food.

Arlana called us down here in Texas one January Saturday night. Her parents and brother were out of town and it was minus 40°F. The heater in house broke. She told us she washed a pair of pajamas and hung them on the shower rod and an hour later they were stiff as a board. Brrrr. She bundled up and turned the on the electric blanket and managed to survive until a repairman got there on Monday.

That summer trip was probably 2 of the most interesting weeks of my life. It's ranching on a grand style and watching the cowboys work was incredible.

Funny thing....Arlana hated the constant cold and finally settled down in.....TEXAS!

3. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    I can't even imagine how big 100,000 acres is, but exploring it would be a kick in the butt!!

John

4. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    156 square miles, far larger than the city I live in.

5. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Here is an image of the area. The ranch was on the south side Muriel Lake but I can't recall the exact area. In the winter they could save 45 minutes driving to Bonneyville because they just drove across the frozen lake.

We also fished in Moose Lake in the picture, 900 feet deep. We met some local retirees there and they actually let us borrow their boat and told us how to catch the big ones. We used big 2 ounce spoon lures with treble hooks. I had hauled to cast once and gave it all I had. About that time my wife stood up and I beaned her in the back of the head. The hooks got all tangled in her hair and we had to cut the lure out. I nearly her knocked out of the boat.:nono2: Rut row.:grin: I probably slept alone that night, don't recall.:lol:

Attached Files:

6. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The first time I saw Lake Minnetonka, Dec 21, 1965 or so, I watched as a pick up truck drove from Excelsior Beach to Big Island. He almost got all the way there before the truck went under. No people were injured in that silly stunt. I had a customer there who owned a landscaping company. He would ride around the lake on a jetski video taping the fancy mansions and then go home and do a rendering in his computer of what the house would look like with some boulders along the shore line. He lined up jobs all summer then delivered the boulders in the winter, by dump truck across the lake. I have no idea if he is still alive. :lol:

Attached Files:

7. skidog

skidog Godfather

Dec 2, 2004
    Don't like Minnetonka in the winter! I fell through up to my middle walking right where a snowmobile had gone across a ice ridge, thankfully I was quick to put my arms out. Another day we were fishing and headed to another spot, I noticed some water but it was to late to hit the brakes so I gave her hell and bounced through the open area with my moms van, the running boards acted like outriggers as I hit the other side. I told my mom it was parking lot damage!:( Have not drove on the lake since.

8. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    In the US, the most interesting for me was Yellowstone. No, not just the beauty. It's just so weird, standing there realizing that at any moment you could be immolated in the biggest volcano ever .... There is so much to see and do. Awesome.

Ex-US, besides Canada, the only place I've been is London, which is big and fascinating. I could spend lots of time there and never run out of things to do. Just the history alone .... fantastic.

9. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I have to put on the list:
    1. Just about all of southern Utah. I am going to go back there when I get some time.
    2. As some famous musicians would say, "Badlands of Dakota", the southern Dakota.
    3. Black Hills
    4. Devil's Tower.
    I hit the last three places by motorcycle many years ago. A good time was had by all.
    There are many other places I would like to visit.

10. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    Hey, some great locations for motorcycle trips!! Margaret and I are slowing down the work schedules and both Yellowstone and the Dakotas would be great trips. Not sure about Lk. Miniwatchamakalit, but what the heck, we're always up for a good adventure. We're going to do at least one "four corners" trip and while we're at it, we might as well take some side trips. In another year, both our girls will be out of the house, so we'll have plenty of time for getting to know some of the out of the way spots in our great country.

Thanks for the ideas!!

John

11. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Just don't do what I did on my first trip (1970). I rode from Minneapolis to Devil's Tower with stops in the Bad Lands and Black Hills on a Honda 125 twin. It was a bit underpowered for that long a trip. :lol: My second trip (1974?) was on a Honda 550-4. Much better.

I'm still hoping to get away this summer if I can fill my building. :D If I do get away it will probably be for at least 2 months, maybe 3 and will be an ocean to ocean trip.

12. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    No anemic bikes for us, Richard. Maggie and I have twin Honda ST 1300's, fully outfitted for distance riding. Here's a couple of shots from one of our rides last summer.

John

Attached Files:

13. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    John, who's that strange woman standing by your wife's bike?

14. JM Anthony

Nov 16, 2003
    That would be my lovely wife of 29 years. But you probably knew that!!

John

15. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    Yes, I did. She's very striking John. You lucky devil you. If your daughters look like momma then lock 'em up. I showed my lovely wife of 19 years the picture. I sorta saw a gleam in her eye...as in....someday I might like to ride the country.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.