1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Reliable HDTVs

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Nick, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1 of 22
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    PC World: Sony HDTVs Rated Most Reliable by Readers

Sony gets far and away the highest reliability and service scores
    in reader survey. LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, and Vizio earn
    favorable marks as well.
    (Chart below shows five of nine indices.)

[​IMG]

Full article @ PCWorld.com

2. Dec 8, 2008 #2 of 22
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Fascinating. Thanks, Nick. I wonder how Element and Insignia rank... or did they skip them since not all TVs under those brands are made by the same manufacturers?

3. Dec 8, 2008 #3 of 22
    faiello

faiello AllStar

Mar 17, 2003
    I love my 2 Panasonic Plasma's never had a problem with either one of them, going on 1 yr for the 58" and 2 yrs for the 37" in the bedroom

4. Dec 8, 2008 #4 of 22
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I've not had a Sony HDTV yet, mainly due to the reliability problems I have had with Sony SD CRTs.

They had great PQ but after only a couple of years, either went out entirely or lost one of the audio channels. This is three different Sonys.

This has made me look in another direction so far when it comes to HDTV.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #5 of 22
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I've had no trouble whatsoever with my two Sonys -- a 32 inch 4:3 CRT HD monitor I got back in 2003 and a 55 inch 16:9 RP LCD I bought in late 2005.

6. Dec 8, 2008 #6 of 22
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm glad to see Mitsubishi down on the bottom where it belongs. As a sat installer, you deal with hundreds and hundreds of different TVs of all types, ages, and conditions, and Mitsubishis have always been the most difficult to deal with.

I'm surprised to see LG so high on the list, though. I know lots of people who have had problems with them.

I can vouch for the Sony's, though, and so will all of my techs. When you run into a Sony, you know it's going to work, the controls are simple, the remote codes haven't changed in 2 decades, etc. It means your day is going to go a little more smoothly.

7. Dec 8, 2008 #7 of 22
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I have had my Panny 720p plasma for about 2 years and last January a major component (DT board) went "kaplooyee". Couldn't change channels, change volume, or change input. Even though it was just out of warranty, I got Panny to replace the board free of charge (saved me $800). I only had to pay for labor (install of new board - about $65). I found that to be fair.

Otherwise, my Panny does an excellent job. I've only ever compared it to my parent's Samsung 720p plasma. The Samsung has noticeable 4:3 burn in after 2 years.. they must watch lots of SD (4:3) programming since their cable co only has 10 HD channels. Also, since they only have cable, I can't tell if the PQ sucks because of the TV brand or simply because they only have cable. My Panny blows away their Samsung. Their TWC PQ stinks.. they don't know any better, but I certainly notice it when I am at their house.

8. Dec 8, 2008 #8 of 22
    rustynails

rustynails Godfather

Apr 24, 2008
    I for one am really surprised that Sony is at the top. My last Sony which wasn't an lcd gave me big problems. When I researched and bought an hdtv, I ruled out Sony almost immediately. I guess you can get bad televisons with any manufacturer!

9. Dec 8, 2008 #9 of 22
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Still waiting for something to go wrong with my 5-year-old 42" Pany plasma. It doesn't even have HDMI, but the picture still looks great.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I've had Sony's for many, many years without ever having a problem. This would include a dozen of them running 24x7 in our news area. Not a single failure. Probably just been lucky in that regard, but they always seem to have a nice quality picture...you do pay for it however.

11. sportsrlife4

sportsrlife4 New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Glad to see Vizio is up there. I've had mine for over a year and no problems at all. Amazing Specs!

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    If there is one thing I DON'T like about my Olevia - it's the bass-ackwards way you have to change from one input to another. I can understand the rating on it.

I would love for it to have been setup so that when you entered numbers / enter - it jumped to the tuner on that channel / subchannel. I'm forever cycling through the inputs over and over, depending on which I want to watch. Or, have buttons to select which input individually instead of just one "source" button on the remote.

13. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    My 50" Sony LCD projection TV went out after only 3 years.

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Went out how? All rear-projectors have a limited life on the bulb, which must be replaced on a fairly regular basis. 3 years is about right.

15. bleedgreenandgold

bleedgreenandgold New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I don't know if it was their XVT series that gave them such a high rating, but Vizio sure deserves it. My XVT made me fall in love with Vizio. Have on in the family room and the bedroom. Great specs.

16. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums, bleedgreenandgold! :welcome_s

(ignore my current blasphemous avatar, normally it is my family or Packers during the season. Alas, lost a fantasy football bet.)

Peace,
    Tom

17. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    I have had excellent picture quality and reliablity with SONY Trinitron CRT TVs over the last 15 years. However, my 3-year old 50" Samsung DLP has had a "reboot" problem for the last 3 months. Picture either doesn’t show on start up, or freezes after 30 seconds and has to "reboot" again. Remote won’t work at all during these instances. Usually happens on initial Turn On, but sometimes will pop up after an hour or two. I have to unplug, wait 10-20 seconds, replug and it usually starts up fine.

Samsung technician came out and said he "thought" that replacing a ~$500 board in the back would fix it. Since he wasn’t sure, I declined. Guess I get a little exercise watching TV after all.

The Samsung DLP picture is excellent, even for 720P. IMHO, best picture for the real estate dollar spent. I thought about buying a larger unit and moving this one downstairs for the kids’ X-Box. However, Mitsubishi and Samsung are the only two majors still making DLP (I believe). The former seems to have a reputation for color accuracy and reliability problems (based on the initial post). Since this episode, WAF for Samsung is zero, so I am not allowed to consider even spending $1 on a Samsung product again.

Please pray for me...

18. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I just bought another Panny plasma last Thursday.. this time being the 42" 1080p unit. Moved the 42" 720p upstairs. Very nice unit, although the filter take a little getting used to. Have to crank up the brightness setting a bit.

I actually did have a problem with the DT board on my 'just out of warranty' 720p set last January but got Panny to pay for the repair anyway. Saved me $700. Panny makes some nice plasma TVs.

19. ceyancey

ceyancey Mentor

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I read on the A/V Forum that their is a firmware upgrade for the Samsung some DLP models that should fix the problem. You can find the free upgrade on the Samsung website.

20. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Yanceymon:

Are you referring to the problem recently posted for SAMSUNG 720P DLPs?:)