1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorhome help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by AnotherMike, Sep 19, 2017.

1. AnotherMike

AnotherMike New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Signed up on this forum to get some help with hooking up DirecTV in my motorhome. We just recently (September) went from cable to DirecTV (again) in our home with the idea of having satellite service when we travel. TiVo receiver with 3 clients in home and got 2 HD25-500 receivers for the motorhome. The installer put a Slimline SWM ODU on the roof. I'm struggling with coming up with an antenna to take on the road. Is there a less expensive answer than the roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler SK-SWM3 for $1500.00? At this point in time I'm not caring if reception is HD or SD. I have an old slimline (DTV) with 3 odu's on a tripod with 50' of cable but reasearch tells me I need to duplicate what is currently being used on the roof. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a sub forum for motorhomes? Anyone done this already?

2. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Well, the Trav'ler is nice. You turn it on, it aims itself, you stay inside and warm . . .

But if the money isn't in the budget, then a new tripod setup is the cheaper and maybe only answer. (Your H25 receivers must have a SWM type dish setup, they won't work with your old legacy tripod dish.) Good news is that the parts are pretty inexpensive. You need a new tripod (the new dish has a bigger 2 inch sized mast), a current slimline dish with a SWM single cable LNB (probably SL3S type, just get whatever is on your roof), a two way green label splitter, and a power inserter (because the new receivers don't power the antenna directly like the old ones did). There are people all over ebay selling this whole pile as a kit for $100-150.

One thing, this newer type of dish (KaKu) is significantly more picky to aim than the old ones were. Practice will be needed.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you do not care if you get HD reception,
    you could switch the H25 receivers for H24. The H24 can use the old dish and it does not require the SWM power inserter. It can run off the old Round dish ( make sure you get an LNB with 2 coax connections ). All your programming would come from the 101 satellite so it is easier to align the dish each time you set it up.

However, if you plan to use them in the house when you return, you will have to go thru the satellite setup each time you change where the receivers are connected to.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Alternately, you can use an SWM8 multiswitch, feed your old dish into the multiswitch and drive the H25s from the output of the multiswitch. You could even do this with an 18" round dish - but of course you will only get feeds that are on the satellites it can see (most national feeds).

My recommendation would be the same dish/LNB you have at home. But there are options.

5. scottb8888

scottb8888 Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Can I add a receiver in my motorhome on my home account? How does that work?

6. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    I just take my HR24 out of the house when I take trips in my motorhome.

codespy likes this.
  7. codespy

codespy Go Brewers!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I have two HR24’s I keep in our trailer between April and October, the off season they are at my house in different rooms. Yet another reason I will never do clients and a HS17.

8. scottb8888

scottb8888 Cool Member

Mar 28, 2007
    So does the receiver have an issue that it can not communicate back to the mothership?