DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mountain network /pac12 network...

185K views 2K replies 103 participants last post by  Stuart Sweet 
#1 ·
just wondering if anyone thinks that the mountain network that goes off may 31 will be replaced by the pac 12 network?

#2 ·
According to what has been posted by writers like John Wilner E* and D* both are still in negotiations with the PAC 12. Both sides know they need each other, but no agreements have been reached. I would hope we know by the end of July we would have an answer. Part of the issue is there will be a PAC 12 national channel plus 6 local RSN's too so that is 7 channels that may need bandwidth.

#3 ·
sum_random_dork said:
According to what has been posted by writers like John Wilner E* and D* both are still in negotiations with the PAC 12. Both sides know they need each other, but no agreements have been reached. I would hope we know by the end of July we would have an answer. Part of the issue is there will be a PAC 12 national channel plus 6 local RSN's too so that is 7 channels that may need bandwidth.
The pressure is on DirecTV and DISH to strike deals as the big cable providers in PAC 12 country are carrying the channel at launch.

The demise of The Mtn. has little to do with DirecTV adding the PAC 12 Network.

#7 ·
Both Dish and DirecTV surviving are one thing, but would/will they lose subs w/out a doubt. Pac12 football is a big deal here, Stanford and Oregon have good teams USC is back with bowl eligibility. Plus the network gets prime game picks of games with the deal they set up. The other part to the network are the Olympic sports, coming off the London games those sports will be popular. Again not saying that either sat carrier would fail if they don't pick it up, but I know families would choose other providers, my area that would be Xfinity. The one interesting part is what they offer online, if all games are streamed like MLB, NBA etc that could change things.

#8 ·
FenixTX said:
Exactly. If Dish can survive without YES and MSG in New York and all those surrounding areas then Dish and DirecTV can get by just fine without the PAC-12 Network out west.
Big difference between one market without one channel versus the entire west coast without access to the conference, period.

I guarantee you that I will leave if the Pac 12 is not offered, period. Comcast has it and yes I will have to pay more.

If streaming is available I might consider that, but I am worried that streaming speeds may not keep up very well.

But it's bigger - if Directv doesn't carry the Pac 12 then my bundle with Qwest will take a hit too. If I stream the bandwidth issues will impact Qwest as well because pretty much everyone else on Directv will be doing the same. I am not sure how the deal works with Qwest, but I would think there is a responsibility to work together.

There's also a risk that IF I can stream and Directv is not on board that I will drop down to a basic cable option altogether and pick up other streaming services as well. I am so tired of all of these silly disputes out there.

#13 ·
"Boston_bill" said:
Well if they can carry the Big Ten Network I hope they will carry the Pac-12. It's one of the reasons why I get the Sports Pack.
It's all about how much they are asking per subscriber. And last I heard the PAC-12 Network wanted around 90 cents a subscriber which is way too high and I highly doubt DirecTV and Dish will pay that. They are crazy for thinking they can get that much. I'm so tired of these sports channels wanting so much per subscriber and we have to pay for it with high monthly bills. It's getting ridiculous.

#14 ·
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2018252077_withers21.html

Sometime in June, the league will reveal the composite TV schedule - which games are going to ESPN, to Fox and to the networks.

Today, the unfinished business is that the Pac-12 has deals with four cable companies representing roughly a robust 40 million subscribers - Comcast, Time-Warner, Cox and Bright House. But that means there's nothing lined up with others such as DirecTV and Dish Network.

"I would characterize the conversations as healthy, ongoing and productive," said Stevenson. No doubt referring to the Big Ten Network's acrimony with Comcast a few years ago, he added, "If you recall a couple of networks that have launched over the years, that wasn't always the case."

When I asked if he could envision a scenario in which the league wouldn't hook up with DirecTV and Dish, he said, "That's a better question for DirecTV and Dish."

As Stephenson tells it - and an industry source backs him - the cost to you won't be immediate. It might show up eventually in a shuffling of various networks between basic and premium tiers. But the cost, something on the order of 90 cents or a dollar per subscriber a month, will reach you eventually.

It's networks, plural. There's a national network, essentially for those who live outside the Pac-12 footprint, and that one is likely to land on a premium cable tier. But there are six other basic-cable networks, one of which will cover the Washington-Washington State area.

#15 ·
If this channel doesn't get picked up I will be furious. Plus I'm pretty sure that in order to watch the online version, it'll be like ESPN3 where your tv provider has to already have signed on to carry the channel and you use your tv provider login info to watch it. If DirecTV doesn't have the P12N then I have to drive to the sports bar over 50 miles away just to watch the Duck games on the P12N. Very stupid.

#16 ·
I don't know all the details yet, but I know the streaming was/is a big part of the new deal with the Pac-12. They have had conversations with the likes of Google and Facebook to set up a full streaming network. Larry Scott has plans to take the Pac-12 to the Pacific Rim where sports like swimming are hugely popular. I would imagine we would have an option to purchase the streaming channel(s) to watch sports if our provider didn't offer the Pac-12 network. I hope it's not an issue for us and DirecTV and Dish both pick up the channel(s) so we can continue to enjoy watching our "local" college games.

#19 ·
adkinsjm said:
The merger with CUSA is dead.
Correct, instead the MWC decided to sell off their games to NBC Sportsnet and CBS Sportsnet. In the short term it means not as many MWC games on the air, going forward the MWC will be adding UT St and San Jose St to replace members they lost.

As for the Pac 12 reports today say the "draft" for games will be in a couple of weeks. The 1st week of the season they expect to see Pac 12 games on the channel Thurs, Fri, and Sat of Labor Day weekend. Included in those games will be the #2 gaame for the Pac 12, the #1 game is expected to be Hawaii vs USC.

#21 ·
DirecTV's Mike White said on a conference call today that they have no interest in carrying Longhorn Network and don't have plans right now to carry PAC-12 Network. Said he knows they are definitely not going to carry all 7 networks for sure. Just main PAC-12 Network if they decide to carry any at all.

#22 ·
"FenixTX" said:
DirecTV's Mike White said on a conference call today that they have no interest in carrying Longhorn Network and don't have plans right now to carry PAC-12 Network. Said he knows they are definitely not going to carry all 7 networks for sure. Just main PAC-12 Network if they decide to carry any at all.
Not quite what I saw. The quote I saw said they weren't sure what they were doing with PAC 12. No inference that thy don't want it. Just said it won't be 7 channels.

#23 ·
"tonyd79" said:
Not quite what I saw. The quote I saw said they weren't sure what they were doing with PAC 12. No inference that thy don't want it. Just said it won't be 7 channels.
You are correct. Sorry about that. I just went back and read it again and he said they aren't sure what they are doing with the PAC-12 but they aren't going to carry 7 channels. Thanks for the correction.

#24 ·
FenixTX said:
You are correct. Sorry about that. I just went back and read it again and he said they aren't sure what they are doing with the PAC-12 but they aren't going to carry 7 channels. Thanks for the correction.
sure. I was wondering if you had seen something more/different.

#26 ·
http://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...eo-says-blackouts-may-be-necessary-but-n.html

"White said DirecTV isn't sure what it will do with the Pac-12 Network group. "We're not going to have seven channels -- I can assure you of that," he said.

Read more: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/176018/directv-ceo-says-blackouts-may-be-necessary-but-n.html#ixzz1wjUy0cmL"

My relationship with Directv may be coming to an end. When the direct competitor in the market place - Comcast - does carry the network, that's a problem. Also Directv won't carry CSN - Northwest, which carries the Trail Blazers.

It's more and more likely every day the plug will be pulled soon. I've noticed that many neighbors have returned to Comcast as well. This guy was on my door step yesterday and he had a list of the entire neighborhood and who was paying what. He had some good sign up deals, but I am skeptical on the follow through. But if CEO White is so sure then I guess I need to do what I need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.