Mounting 75 inch over fireplace

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by Nabisco, May 29, 2019.

1. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    I just bought a samsung 75 inch TV :) and I want to mount it over my fireplace but not drill into the brick! What options do I have? I kind of like the mantel mount mm series. I'm wondering if I can fabricate a 90* bracket to screw to the celing and bolt the bracket to the fabricated bracket

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Why? If you can Find a better place for it. Fireplace is to high off the ground...

bmcleod likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Why don't you want to use the brick facing?

Rich

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I've been in a lot of homes with TVs mounted over fireplaces and they do look awkward. Been looking to buy another house for a couple years now and every home I've been in that had TVs mounted on walls had small rooms. Is that a factor here? Is there no other place that the TV can be mounted? Or put on a stand?

I've got a couple fireplaces in my home and my wife and son are always talking about putting a TV set over them. Keep asking them how they are gonna deal with the TV being that high. There are adjustable brackets that would allow the set to be tilted down but even that seems awkward.

Rich

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Three reasons why you shouldn't mount a TV above a fireplace...1. Heat...Heat and electronics aren't a good mix. If you use the fireplace it can produce enough heat to harm the TV. Also, if you use the fireplace even with the damper wide open smoke residual will eventually build up on the TV screen...2. Ergonomics...Placing a TV above the fireplace is the equivalent of sitting in the front row of a movie theater and staring up at the screen...3. Viewing angle can be compromised if you mount your TV above a fireplace.

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We don't use our fireplaces. Haven't used them for years. Sitting here looking at the living room fireplace and I can't imagine having a TV above it. The viewing angle even with the TV angled downward has to be awful. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong.

Rich

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You're not looking at it wrong Rich. Today's TV's have optimal viewing angles. A few inches to the left, right, top or bottom can drastically change the picture quality because of the viewing angle of the TV. Media furniture is your best bet for placing today's TVs. They're designed with ergonomics and the TV's viewing angle in mind.

Rich likes this.
  8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The only time you want to mount a TV that high is if you're going to be standing while watching the TV. Sitting in a chair or sofa requires it be reclined to watch a TV that high (and I'm talking about when you mount the TV so the bottom of it is 5-6' plus above the floor).

Heat/smoke is a concern, but depends on the type of fireplace you have. My old gas fireplace wouldn't impact a TV. My current wood fireplace where I go through a cord of wood per year isn't good for the TV.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My inlaws put a smaller TV (32" ?) over their fireplace. It looks like a picture except the image moves. They only watch a couple of hours of TV each evening and there is no other wall space available. At the previous house they had the TV mounted at the same height on the wall above a cabinet where they kept movies (physical media!). They are happy to recline and watch.

The big drawback of my inlaws install is running cables. Power and video cables are run on the front of the brick to reach the DVD player and cable box on a nearby shelf. "Hidden wires" are not possible. Even surface raceway would be worse than they have (a bundle of all black cables).

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Samsung has a Picture Frame series of TVs. You can get free images or your can subscribe to a service and various art-work cycles through the TV. Until it is on, you don't realize that it is a TV. They call it The Frame TV (The Frame TV - Customizable Art TV | Samsung US)

And to see someone who had a much larger remodeling budget than I'll probably ever see, watch this video on a basement remodel in Chicago.

11. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    TVs should be at sitting eye level +/- 15 degrees. Measure this and see where your TV should go. It''s somewhat shocking to see your TV should only be 2 feet off the floor (bottom edge). Putting a TV over a typical fireplace is like watching it 5-6 feet from the side. The picture will suffer. Put a media stand in front of your fireplace!

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hard to find a media stand that will fit in front of my living room's fireplace. I'd like to have the fireplaces (we have two) removed but the cost is so high it's easier to keep them. When we bought our house we thought the fireplaces were gonna be wonderful but after a couple years we gave up on them. Too dirty, too hard to get wood at a decent price and just too much work. Fortunately, there's enough room for a big TV set on either side of the fireplace. Tried to convert the living room fireplace to natural gas. Seemed simple but, wow, is that expensive. Yeah, your point is right on, putting a large set above a fireplace isn't a good idea unless you have no other option. That's my opinion based on real life experience.

Rich

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My in-laws set fits within the +/- 15 degrees. They are probably sitting too far away for a small screen, but that is another issue. The screen is also tipped down - the center of the screen is aimed at the heads of the people sitting in the chairs.

14. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Because its brick and I'm not going to drill into it and tear it up with holes

15. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    Tv is up, my kids and I used a ceiling mount. It sits on a pole and mounts in the attic

Attached Files:

TheRatPatrol and jimmie57 like this.
  16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Nicely way to mount it without drilling into the brick.

When you get time, I'd fill in the gap around the pipe. For insulation, air quality and any critters you might have in your attic.

Nabisco likes this.
  17. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    I was going to put silicon and 3d print a cover.

The tv looks amazing and no different from sitting at the theater! I had no available wall space to mount it. On the rare occasion I might use the gas fireplace it doesn't put out a stupid amount of heat and I usually have a fan by it to help circulate the air. I might drop it about 5 inches down but for now with the tilt the angle is great.

Keep in mind I was a satellite installer for 9 years, I've seen no shortage of TVs and mounted half of them. I just never seen a mount like this before! I couldn't and didnt wsnt it lower because it would block the fire place and even in the manual it says it will be ok

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it would be interesting to see upper point.. what is there ? a square plate with huge bolts going up ? is it bolted to wooden raft or ?

19. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Looks crooked.

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My thought too. Maybe the angle of the photo?

Rich