Move ESATA to Internal on HR23???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by mercury26, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Aug 6, 2010 #1 of 21
    mercury26

mercury26 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I have a 1.5 TB ESATA drive that I have been using externally for a while now. Now that I am in the process of adding a new HR24 to my setup, I am looking to move the drive from external to internal. Is their a process for this somewhere? I see the process for moving the internal settings/recordings/etc to a new drive, but not moving external to internal. I searched but came up empty.

Anyone that can help out?

Thanks,

Chuck

2. Aug 6, 2010 #2 of 21
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #3 of 21
    MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Do note, the process is much easier if you are not trying to save the data on the hard drive. Also, the front plate removal is necessary on the HR20 series. I have an R22 that I swapped a drive on and did not have to remove the front face plate. While there are work-arounds, it would be best to purchase a tamper-resistant torx driver when doing this. I just bought a set of 5 for $5.00 at Lowe's.

The very cool thing is...the HRxx box will format the drive for you. I've seen some companies selling a HRxx-ready drive for a premium. There really is no need to pay a premium price for the hard drive.

Best of luck.

4. Aug 6, 2010 #4 of 21
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you own the DVR, its just a matter of taking the external drive out of its enclosure and installing it internally...

5. Aug 6, 2010 #5 of 21
    mercury26

mercury26 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    I would like to keep the programs that already exist on my external drive when I move it internally. So I want to make sure they are not lost. Anything to worry there? Or just move the drive from the external case to the DVR?

Thanks,

Chuck

6. Aug 6, 2010 #6 of 21
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    The process does not change, you are just copying one drive with recordings on it to another drive that doesnt have them. Internal to external drive, external to interanl, doesnt matter which way you are going the drive copy process is identical. If you want to keep the recordings you have to follow the drive copying process outlined in this forum in this thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=148760

7. Aug 6, 2010 #7 of 21
    wall-e

wall-e AllStar

Jul 19, 2009
    I believe what the OP is trying to ask is that since the external hard drive is married to the HR23 externally, will that external drive with recorded content work on the same HR23 if the external drive is moved internally.

8. Aug 6, 2010 #8 of 21
    mercury26

mercury26 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Bingo!!! Exactly what I am asking. Though add one point, not only move the drive internally but maintain all my settings/recordings/etc that currently exist on that external drive.

9. Aug 6, 2010 #9 of 21
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's 'married' to the receiver's keys regardless of int or ext position

10. mercury26

mercury26 New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    That's fine, my primary concern was around when I move the drive from the external housing to internal that it would attempt to re-format/format the drive.

Thanks,
    Chuck

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    should not, but glitches happening, so 'drive safely'

12. cartrivision

cartrivision Hall Of Fame

Jul 25, 2007
    With several expansion drives that I have purchased for my HR2x DVRs, I have first tested them out by putting them in an eSATA enclosure and hooking them up externally, and then moving them internal after a few days of use, and I have never lost any recordings or other data with the external to internal move.

13. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Is there a method (clearly outside of the DirecTV unit) that one can take various programs from a married drive and combine them on another drive, also married to the same unit (Say if one wanted to move some programs from a smaller drive to a larger drive?)

14. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167440

15. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
  16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    There is no software what could do that correctly. One small chance is if native DVR software will rebuild a catalog by itself when it will find new raw file.
    You could check it by mounting both drives under Linux and copy some ( big question how to get right file if name of it is unknown ?) file(s) from one to other.
    Let us know if it works, for the experiment you could pick any; create manual list of old recordings to see if new one will populate.

17. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 6, 2009
    I suspect that date and time from the original recording is what would be used.

Or...I could just let you do it for me for an Outback Gift Card :)

18. ntrance

ntrance Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    I believe this is possible. I tried it here:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2229477#post2229477

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  20. ntrance

ntrance Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Maybe you can provide different directions for copying particular recordings then? What I suggested should work fine to combine everything. Then unwanted recordings from either of the original drives can be deleted as desired from the combined list. Alternatively, the lists can be pared down first, then combined. The end result is the same. You can even add another drive to the mix so the original drives stay as they were. I would be interested to hear the result, if you end up trying this.