1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move reciever to dish at a different location

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by qw3rty, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qw3rty

qw3rty Cool Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Sorry for the dumb question but I am very new to this.

I have a subscription to DirecTV and have an extra receiver. I want to get another dish and put the extra receiver in my ice house this winter.

Is this possible, or will the receiver only work at this location?

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Having a seperate dish and receiver for your ice house shouldn't be a problem. I guess technically depending on where your ice house is physically located in relation to your existing billing address. I guess as long as it's on the same property you shouldn't have to open a second billing account.

To make this a little simplier. Activate the 2nd receiver, take the TV, dish, and receiver to the ice house, point the dish and have fun.

EDIT: I picture a ice house in the middle of a body of water. How are going to power this stuff up? Generator?

3. mike_augie

mike_augie You call I haul..

Oct 10, 2006
    The answer to your question is a easy one..... but.....LEGALLY....no.....But.....dtv states in black and white no....

4. qw3rty

qw3rty Cool Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Yeah there is already a TV with a UHF antennae that is powered with a generator.

It's not on the property, it's on a lake about 10 minutes away. Will that still work?

edit: I just checked the google map and the ice house is 5 miles away from my property. Is that to far away?

5. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    I re-read my original post and it wasn't exactly clear. I'm not suggesting illegal activity.

If by chance this ice house is on your property then you should be able to. If it is not then legally you have to have a seperate account for it. Frankly, I'm not sure how D* would handle that. It's not an RV or stationery address.

6. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    Our posts crossed on the wire.

Physically it will work. Legally, I don't think it will fly.

7. qw3rty

qw3rty Cool Member

Dec 10, 2006
    So what you are saying is that even though it's technically possible, legally I need a separate account, even if it's just going to be there a couple months?

8. qw3rty

qw3rty Cool Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Ok, I won't do it then. Thank you for your help and fast replys.

9. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    If I understand D* rules and policies, Yes, that is correct.
    I've read alot of post and questions over the last 18 months. But this is a first.
    Maybe someone else as some suggestions or other insite. At the end of the day you should call D*.

I know you can suspend accounts for up to nine months at a time. If you need to sleep at night (be legal,which you should, but that's your decision), open a second account, and then suspend.

If I'm incorrect, someone please advise.

btw, there are no dumb questions.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I would consider this to be in the same league or category as a summer house or vacation house, both of which have been discussed extensively here and on other forums.

The general rule of thumb is, an account is for an address. If, while you are at your ice house there is no one at your other location watching tv, then you are probably within the spirit of the law. If there will be people at both locations using DirecTV at the same time, then the letter and spirit of the law is two accounts.

Carl

11. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    Hey Calr6,

Thanks for your input. It's obvious I was erroring on the side of caution. I agree I was splitting some fine hairs.

12. Mixer

Mixer Hall Of Fame

Sep 28, 2006
    Does this Ice House have it's own address? Do you pay seperate taxes for it? If you were to go to town hall and get the blueprints (property line maps?) for your property, is the ice house a part of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.