1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved and get no signal at new place, what are my options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wizard341, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1 of 14
    wizard341

wizard341 New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Here are the cliff notes of my problem :)

1) Signed up for 2 years Direct TV service at 1 place, worked fine for my time there
    2) Moved to a new place
    3) Tech came out to install it, could not get a signal on my balcony. Was able to get some channels from the nearby roof.
    4) Told the tech to go ahead and put it there and I would need approval of my landlord.
    5) Landlord did not approve the installation, so I had to move it.
    6) Stuck with 14 months left with no signal :(.

I called Direct TV about my options. They told me I had 2.

-Pay 280 bucks and cancel my service early
    -Continue the 14 month plan, and pay for service I couldn't actually receive.

Has anyone else had any similar experiences? I browsed the user agreement and didn't see anything that stuck out at me as being either one of our faults.

I can see both sides of the story...

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. Jan 5, 2009 #2 of 14
    roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    My understanding is even though your under contract you moved and longer get LOS so they are supposed to let you out of the contract!! This how it's supposed to work as i had a buddy with D* and when he moved he had no LOS and D* let him out of the contract. Then again there may be some issue because you could get some channels from one spot and your landlord didn't approve and D* may have gotten that information from the tech and don't want to let you out of the contract. I would keep calling directv and trying to get it resolved and if you can't I would get in touch with some higher people in the food chain!

3. Jan 6, 2009 #3 of 14
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    If you can't get LOS you can get out of your contract, especially since an installer verified it. Call back.

4. Jan 6, 2009 #4 of 14
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    When I moved into my current home without LOS I had to call a few times but they eventually canceled the contract. I truly wanted to keep the service (like you) but didn't have a choice... until a year later when I decided cable was not worth keeping a tree. :D

5. Jan 6, 2009 #5 of 14
    beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    I'm betting the installer closed the call as a successful installation. It's going to be a PITA but you'll probably need the installer to come back and close the new call for no LOS.

6. Jan 6, 2009 #6 of 14
    curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    the tech who came out to do the movers is supposed to cancel the order with a reason of No Line of Sight, which will automatically cancel the account without a penalty

7. Jan 6, 2009 #7 of 14
    beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    But the OP told the installer to put it in a place that did get channels. At that point, the installation was successfully completed. It wasn't until after the installer left that the landlord said the dish couldn't be put there.

That's not the installers fault. If I was the installer, I would have closed the call as succesful.

That's why I think the OP will need to get the installer back out to close the call as "no LOS".

8. Jan 6, 2009 #8 of 14
    wizard341

wizard341 New Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Update to my situation :

Called back Direct TV and confirmed that if they send someone back out to install it, and they cannot get an LOS from my balcony I will be excluded from my contract.

So, I've got someone coming out in a week to take a look.

Thanks everyone for their advice!

9. Jan 6, 2009 #9 of 14
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Good deal! :)

10. ffemtreed

ffemtreed Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    I am not so sure your landlord can preclude you from putting the dish on the roof unless its some type of multi occupancy dwelling with a shared roof.

The landlord should be concerned with holes being drilled in his roof, but it sounds like its already too late for that.

If the landlord is just being a pinhead because he doesn't like the "sight" of the dish, you might have some legal recourse. google OTARD and you should be able to find more specific information.

11. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Not much ' automatic' about it. I'll bet the OP is going to have to put up a big fight to get D* to cancel. Seen it every day when I was a tech sup.

12. hiker

hiker Icon

Mar 1, 2006
    Also is it not an installer policy to require written approval from landlord or HOA for rentals and condos to install antenna on roof? I live in condo and here installers will not do any outside work without written approval from HOA.

13. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    OTARD does give you certain rights over condo and landlord rules, but that only goes for "exclusive use" areas. This generally refers to windows, balconies, and other locations where only you have access. A shared balcony or walkway or a roof does not count. Also, OTARD does not give you rights to attach things to and put holes in property that does not belong to you. The landlord or owner can prohibit you from attaching an antenna to a wall or roof.

14. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    To add to that, an HOA cannot restrict you, but a Condo Association can because of common areas where it's most likely you'd add a dish. You can't attach to the wall, but you can put a dish in a concrete filled bucket on your balcony, since no damage is being done to the common areas.

My HOA (homeowners, where all of it is my property) tried to prohibit the dish and an outdoor antenna. They cannot do that based on the law, but had I tried to put the dish or antenna in the common area they could have stopped me.