1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moved into a new apt want to use my parents DTV account + Total Home DVR. How2 DIY??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Intel, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1 of 11
    Intel

Intel New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Hi guys

I just moved into a new apartment and I want to take away the receivers from my parents home (Directv) and set it up at my new place. I will need some advice. What I am bringing to this new apartment from my old house:

- HD DVR
    - HD Receiver
    - SD Receiver (Standard - no HD)

The living room will have the HD DVR, my room will have the HD Receiver and my roommates will have a standard. Now here it gets tricky, I want to upgrade to the TOTAL HOME DVR.

Some questions:

- What kind of dish and how many LBA's do I need (those plugs on the antenna)
    - What kind of multiplexer or is it multiswitch? do I need?
    - How many coax should I run or will I need to run to each receiver?
    - What tools will I need? Any fancy tools as signal meter required?

- How do I got about getting Total Home DVR from DTV if we didnt have it before, do I leave the receivers at my parents and call DTV and they will send a tech out?

2. Aug 2, 2010 #2 of 11
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Sounds like account stacking. Not smart.

3. Aug 2, 2010 #3 of 11
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    IOW, you'll need an account in your name before we can answer your questions.

You can do some searching here to find the answers.

DirecTV will install everything you need at YOUR place.

4. Aug 2, 2010 #4 of 11
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBStalk!

If your parents own the equipment, they can sell it to you once you have established an account for yourself. Most likely they don't, as more than 99% of equipment is leased.

If you're talking about keeping the receivers on your parents' account but using them at another location, the only way to do that would be to disable any equipment at your parents' house. This could be done by calling Movers' Connection.

If your goal is to keep service active at both locations, I'm sorry but that violates your customer agreement and therefore the terms of this site.

5. Aug 2, 2010 #5 of 11
    Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Splitting receivers between two houses not owned by the same person is considered Satellite fraud and is very serious in D*'s eyes. It's considered fraud.

6. Aug 2, 2010 #6 of 11
    Intel

Intel New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    thanks, didn't know we couldn't talk about that in these forums. I am looking at active-active, as my other friend does but my setup will be more complex with the latest DECA receivers that I want to have. And yes, they are leased.

7. Aug 4, 2010 #7 of 11
    waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    I've read this kind of statement before and I've always wondered why it's considered fraud. Let us consider a few definitions of fraud via dictionary.com:
    I can understand if the equipment and service wasn't being paid for, but if the parents pay the amount billed in full each month, who is it hurting? Either way the parents would have X amount of receivers and have X service and be paying for them, so in this case, location is irrelevant, isn't it? I realize it's against their terms of service, and that is wrong, but I fail to see how this is fraud.

8. Aug 4, 2010 #8 of 11
    raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Simple, it's fraud because you are violating the terms of service. They set the terms and you agree to them.

9. Aug 4, 2010 #9 of 11
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Theoretically, they are missing out on one subscription, if you assume that the second party values the service enough to pay for it if they could not find some way to get it cheap or free. So, on one hand, DirecTV makes an extra 5 or 10 bukcs a month for a couple of extra boxes, but misses out on $60-$70 for the second account, so the money is real.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Come on, folks. It's a violation of your customer agreement. Until the customer agreement is struck down, it's a moot point as to whether it's fraud.

11. waylonrobert

waylonrobert AllStar

Apr 22, 2010
    This makes more sense, thanks.